Curiosity Corner #203: US aviator in Oz

Old September 26th 05, 05:23 AM
Rodney

Default Curiosity Corner #203: US aviator in Oz

About the time Tom Loepp's aviators, were flying around
and setting records in Wyoming, there was an aviator from
Wisconsin that ordered a french Farman and flew between
theatrical engagements in his flying shoebox in Australia.(1910)
(non mail carrying)

He died on January 31st 1926 in detroit,
result of a prank.

His Name? Ehrich Weiss (name ring a bell?..........

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old September 27th 05, 01:13 AM
Blair (TC)

Yes! The US issued a stamp in his honour.

Blair

Old September 27th 05, 02:15 AM
Rodney

Hmm, well I don't have it

when I searched in Agent Ransack all I had
was (interestingly) the first ever legal tender postage stamp
showing a man of illusion and magic, as a Mr. Robert Houdin
(France 1971)
The name "Houdini" is very similar, Harry was Hungarian/American.

Old September 27th 05, 03:14 AM
Blair (TC)

Rodney:

Houdini? Here you go.
http://www.virtualstampclub.com/2002/houdini37a.jpg
http://www.topicalsonstamps.com/imag...SA_Houdini.jpg

Harry was Hungarian/American, but lied about his date and place of
birth.
He claimed to be born in the USA, but he was born in Budapest.

As to Houdin, here is his stamp:
http://www.magicandillusion.com/muse...ou/R-h-001.gif
..

Blair

Old September 27th 05, 05:40 AM
Rodney

Thankyou.
Houdin~Houdini ?
one would then guess that the latter was named
from a previous influence.

rodney at touch88.com.au

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old September 27th 05, 06:45 AM
Blair (TC)

No surprise. Houdini publicly stated that he took his
stage name from Houdin, whom he admired, around 1890.

Blair