What every needs to know about Nickel Hoarding

Old February 19th 05, 12:48 AM
Alan Williams

Default What every needs to know about Nickel Hoarding

Is that it has not happened in any detectable degree since 1938, with a
brief outbreak in 1950. ;-)

(sigh)

The poor unloved Jefferson Nickel has never inspired any great hoarding
activity by the public-at-large. I see the proof of that 1200 times a
week in my nickel roll searches. ;-) I mean, look! There's a nickel
that's 35% silver and has a *huge* identifying mark above Monticello's
dome to tell you so...and today I found a 1944-P. ;-/

Even at 800% of face value, these silver nickels circulate. I've found,
with today's discovery, 22 of them in the past three years. No one is
winnowing these out. Keelboats and Peace reverses? Ha! They abound in
numbers you'd expect from their massive mintage.

I post this observation now, because all that is *about to change*. On
March 1st, when they have the nickel exchange at Union Station, and the
2005 Bison nickel design *with a redesigned obverse* is released, there
will be a hoarding that begins. Of 2005's, of course. ;-/

See, this redesign of both sides eliminates the 50% chance that the
public will fail to notice that they are handling a different type!
And, it features a common element of the last nickel design that was
deliberately removed from circulation, a buffalo. I predict the
hoarding of these nickels to be one the order of Bicentennial Quarter
hoarding. I predict that huge numbers of BU examples will be available
for a thousand years! Meanwhile...those 1948-S and 1943 P and 1956-D
nickels are going to continue to march through commerce until they are
worn slick.

I think that a public desensitized to design changes by the SQ program
will finally sit up and take notice of the nickel, thanks to the
beautiful new portrait and the bison. But they will never hoard the
nickels with the Schlage obverse, ever.

Alan
'Nostradamus's maternal second cousin'
Old February 19th 05, 12:20 PM
Gary Loveless

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:48:41 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

[...]

Thats what makes looking at nickels from circulation exciting, you can
find almost anything from 1938 to present.'

Gary

'When was the last time you got a 90% Silver Quarter in change??'

Old February 19th 05, 07:27 PM
Vector

wrote:

Keelboats and Peace reverses? Ha! They abound in
numbers you'd expect from their massive mintage.

Alright, I'm beginning to feel my hometown is in a numismatic Twilight
Zone ... as I noted in a post two days ago, I have found in my pocket
change perhaps a half dozen 2004 nickels (a liberal estimate).
Granted, I have not bought rolls to search through ... but it has
seemed apparent to me from the small numbers I am finding in change
that massive hoarding is going on. Others responded to my post
indicating that in their locations they were finding 2004s to be as
common as dirt. I don't understand this discrepancy. Maybe I'm in a
town of hoarders?

===============

www.peacepond.com
High quality environmental recordings
Old February 19th 05, 08:29 PM
frank wight

The doctor is IN,

The difficulty of 2004-2006 nickels is the condition they are in
when they leave the factory---most are really gross and not
worthy to hoard.

If you can get your mitts on some solid 2005 rolls of nickels
later this year, keep the good ones in 2X2's and send back
the unlovable 95%+ damaged / soft-struck examples back
to the bank.

PS It never hurts to clean up your treasures in hot soapy "Dawn"
soap with a soft toothbrush---It gets rid of machining grease and
coolant
and makes your beauties shine.

Old February 19th 05, 09:12 PM
Alan Williams

wrote:

Keelboats and Peace reverses? Ha! They abound in
numbers you'd expect from their massive mintage.

Alright, I'm beginning to feel my hometown is in a numismatic Twilight
Zone ... as I noted in a post two days ago, I have found in my pocket
change perhaps a half dozen 2004 nickels (a liberal estimate).
Granted, I have not bought rolls to search through ... but it has
seemed apparent to me from the small numbers I am finding in change
that massive hoarding is going on. Others responded to my post
indicating that in their locations they were finding 2004s to be as
common as dirt. I don't understand this discrepancy. Maybe I'm in a
town of hoarders?

===============

www.peacepond.com
High quality environmental recordings

I guess that's possible, but I'd call it unlikely. I believe from my
nickel examinations and my SQ project that local distributions have far
more to do with the timing of orders and deliveries between banks, vault
services and the nearest Federal Reserve.

Why not spend twenty dollars on ten rolls of nickels? I think you'll
see that it's the incredibly common 1998 and 2001 nickels that are
crowding 2004's out of your pocket. ;-)

When a cashier makes change, you are very unlikely to be handed more
than one nickel at a time. After, 2 nickels call for a dime. ;-/

But in the ten rolls, I'll wager that no less than 5% (20 total) are
2004's. It's just that in normal commerce, you'd only see one in every
twenty transactions that makes you think of a scarcity!

Alan
'is having a flood of 1948-D and 1956-D Jeffs'
Old February 20th 05, 12:38 AM

Some fairly large areas can have a net inflow of coins for some time.
This can apply to a single denomination or several. If you're in an
area of depressed economic activity or if for any reason there's an
inflow to the fed then the only new coin you'll see will be those which
trickle in from the outside. Even this trickle will be much suppressed
if there are a few people saving them for collections or as souvenirs.

Old February 20th 05, 01:38 AM
Vector

On 19 Feb 2005 12:29:33 -0800, "frank wight"
wrote:

The doctor is IN,

The difficulty of 2004-2006 nickels is the condition they are in
when they leave the factory---most are really gross and not
worthy to hoard.

If you can get your mitts on some solid 2005 rolls of nickels
later this year, keep the good ones in 2X2's and send back
the unlovable 95%+ damaged / soft-struck examples back
to the bank.

PS It never hurts to clean up your treasures in hot soapy "Dawn"
soap with a soft toothbrush---It gets rid of machining grease and
coolant
and makes your beauties shine.

Some interesting information. Useful too. But, what has that got to
do with my comments?
I have uncircs I purchased at a premium from the Mint. I was
commenting on the fact that I have found very few 2004 nickels in
circulation at my location, and that most others in the group are
finding them to be very common.

===============

Old February 20th 05, 01:41 AM
Vector

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:12:05 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

Why not spend twenty dollars on ten rolls of nickels? I think you'll
see that it's the incredibly common 1998 and 2001 nickels that are
crowding 2004's out of your pocket. ;-)

I am going to do exactly as you suggest. I'll report back with the
results of the survey sometime next week. Thanks.

===============

Old February 20th 05, 11:01 PM
Ed. Stoebenau

wrote:

The doctor is IN,

The difficulty of 2004-2006 nickels is the condition they are in
when they leave the factory---most are really gross and not
worthy to hoard.

Well somebody must be hoarding the 2006 nickels, since I haven't
run across any.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143

FS: first batch paragon Coins 0 January 25th 05 01:35 PM
Adventures of the RCC nickel BobbyShaw Coins 2 January 28th 04 11:11 AM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Paper Money 1 September 11th 03 08:01 PM
PR: NGC Confirms Authentication of Recovered 1913 Liberty Nickel ANA Coins 0 September 11th 03 07:18 PM
PR: Rediscovered 1913 Liberty Nickel Comes to ANA Money Museum ANA Paper Money 0 August 26th 03 10:08 PM