Spain query.

Old March 29th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Spain query.

Just confirmining,
the control numbers on the early Spanish
are sheet numbers right?
If I say have A535,348 on the back of a stamp,
that means all of the stamps on that sheet
have the same number?

"Control" suggests an accounting procedure?

Old March 29th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 29, 1:09 am, "Rod" wrote:
Just confirmining,
the control numbers on the early Spanish
are sheet numbers right?
If I say have A535,348 on the back of a stamp,
that means all of the stamps on that sheet
have the same number?

"Control" suggests an accounting procedure?

It was more of a Security feature as security
at the Spanish printer was notoriously lax.

Hence the postal authorities could check
stamp stocks at any of the licensed kiosks
that sold stamps to make sure that they
were legitimate and not stolen from the printers.

The numbers were applied to vertical strips of
ten stamps at one time, so that you can find
vertical pairs with doubled control numbers
on BOTH stamps and horizontal pairs with
doubled control numbers on one stamp and
a single control number on the other stamp.

Blair

Old March 29th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 29, 1:09 am, "Rod" wrote:
Just confirmining,
the control numbers on the early Spanish
are sheet numbers right?
If I say have A535,348 on the back of a stamp,
that means all of the stamps on that sheet
have the same number?

Yes. The same number oin stamps of the same sheet.

Blair

Old March 30th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Blair,
very knowledgeable
I had washed two 1930's issues from piece (not joined)
both with the exactly same number.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Spain Query. Rod General Discussion 9 November 22nd 06 12:21 AM
TERRORIST TURKS! "Turk Captured in Spain, Imprisoned in Spain"! King Seanie, Ruler of the Griks Coins 0 January 17th 06 02:01 AM
TERRORIST TURKS! "Turk Captured in Spain, Imprisoned in Spain"! King Seanie, Ruler of the Griks Coins 0 January 17th 06 01:39 AM
Spain Query Rodney General Discussion 21 October 27th 03 03:18 PM
Spain Query Rodney General Discussion 3 September 24th 03 10:56 PM