Removing Silver Eagles from Tube

Old February 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Removing Silver Eagles from Tube

My new silver eagle arrived today. It is for my Airtite-eagle collection.
The coin is well struck, but suffers from a malady I see too often -- the
sender got in too big a hurry to get them out of the tube. Many a beautiful
coin is dinged to MS67 status when extracting them.

Does anyone here know a good way to remove silver eagles from their tight
tubes without damaging them. I warm the tube in my hand and work very
slowly. There must be a better way, though.

Don't know why they make those tubes so tight. Glad that this coin was
destined for an Airtite.

Anita

Old February 2nd 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
My new silver eagle arrived today. It is for my Airtite-eagle collection.
The coin is well struck, but suffers from a malady I see too often -- the
sender got in too big a hurry to get them out of the tube. Many a

beautiful
coin is dinged to MS67 status when extracting them.

Does anyone here know a good way to remove silver eagles from their tight
tubes without damaging them. I warm the tube in my hand and work very
slowly. There must be a better way, though.

Don't know why they make those tubes so tight. Glad that this coin was
destined for an Airtite.

Anita

I open the tube.. set it on the soft cloth on a hard surface and tap it
gently. Within a few taps the coins start to come out. Also WARMING the
tube caused the coins and tube to expand. I have not needed to try it, but
I suppose putting the tube in the freezer would free the coins more easily.
Good luck to you! But getting MS67 by buying singles is pretty good. You
do know they pick out all the MS69's before they sell the coins, right? I
thought you did. You'll have to order a full tube to test the freezer
method and tapping gently.

Jonathan_ATC

Old February 2nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
ups.com...
The trick is to turn the tube over on a soft, oil-free cloth and
squeeze the tube lightly while rotating between fingers. The stuck
iggles will come free and land upon each other with a millimeters drop,
side to side, rather than pour out with the risk of them rotating and
edges gouging obv/rev. Raise the tube as they come free. You should
get a neat stack of iggles.

I still wince at coin shows when a dealer tosses a coin on the table. Even
if it lands flat, the soft metal is pressed. I wouldn't dream of throwing a
coin, even if it is in a slab.

It is definitely worthwhile to take time when getting eagles out of the
tube. I have only taken them out once, but ended up with some of the most
ding-free coins I've seen. If I get another roll this year, I'll try rolling
the tube without putting any bounce on the coins, like you describe. It
sounds like you've done your share of them.

It would be nice if they were packaged in sealed coin vaults that we could
open lengthwise. IMO, eagles are beautiful, particularly when they aren't
dinged by shaking them out of the tube.

Anita

Old February 2nd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:56:17 GMT, "Jonathan_ATC"
wrote:

I open the tube.. set it on the soft cloth on a hard surface and tap it
gently. Within a few taps the coins start to come out. Also WARMING the
tube caused the coins and tube to expand. I have not needed to try it, but
I suppose putting the tube in the freezer would free the coins more easily.
Good luck to you! But getting MS67 by buying singles is pretty good. You
do know they pick out all the MS69's before they sell the coins, right? I
thought you did. You'll have to order a full tube to test the freezer
method and tapping gently.

Rather than warming the tube, why don't you try sticking it in the
freezer for a while. I would expect that the silver coins would
contract more than the plastic tube.

Old February 2nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

I open the tube.. set it on the soft cloth on a hard surface and tap it
gently. Within a few taps the coins start to come out. Also WARMING the
tube caused the coins and tube to expand. I have not needed to try it,

but
I suppose putting the tube in the freezer would free the coins more

easily.
Good luck to you! But getting MS67 by buying singles is pretty good.

You
do know they pick out all the MS69's before they sell the coins, right?

thought you did. You'll have to order a full tube to test the freezer
method and tapping gently.

Rather than warming the tube, why don't you try sticking it in the
freezer for a while. I would expect that the silver coins would
contract more than the plastic tube.

Didn't I just say that? LOL!

Jonathan_ATC

Old February 2nd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in
:

I still wince at coin shows when a dealer tosses a coin on the
table. Even if it lands flat, the soft metal is pressed. I wouldn't
dream of throwing a coin, even if it is in a slab.

Hell, Anita - I still wince when I see a dealer slide an MS coin out of
a flip and hold it in his bare hands! Call me anal, but I don't want his
greasy fingerprints on my otherwise relatively unblemished coins, even
if they are only MS-64!!!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA