Local Man Caught Selling Counterfeit Morgans He Bought on eBay

Old January 18th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo[_2_]

Default Local Man Caught Selling Counterfeit Morgans He Bought on eBay

A couple of stories in local newspapers:

New Haven Register:
http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...ing-fake-money

Meriden Record Journal:
http://www.myrecordjournal.com/merid...n-meriden.html
Old January 19th 14, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Friday, January 17, 2014 9:29:50 PM UTC-5, Phil DeMayo wrote:
A couple of stories in local newspapers:

New Haven Register:

http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...ing-fake-money

Meriden Record Journal:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/merid...n-meriden.html

Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right. "Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the 1921's? 8-)
Old January 19th 14, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:02:15 -0800 (PST), Jud
wrote:

Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right. "Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the 1921's? 8-)

Been lurking ever since everybody else dissapeared.

Say....didn't Reid tell us ad nauseum that the Secret Service wasn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins?

Suck it Goldsborough.
Old January 20th 14, 06:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:57:16 PM UTC-5, Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:02:15 -0800 (PST), Jud wrote: Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right. "Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the 1921's? 8-) Been lurking ever since everybody else dissapeared. Say....didn't Reid tell us ad nauseum that the Secret Service wasn't interested in counterfeits of collectible coins? Suck it Goldsborough.

Seems there are so few of us left from the "golden days." Almost isn't worth stopping in anymore.

Jerry
Old January 20th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:57:16 PM UTC-5, Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:02:15 -0800 (PST), Jud wrote:
Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in

your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right.
"Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth
anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the
1921's? 8-) Been lurking ever since everybody else dissapeared.
Say....didn't Reid tell us ad nauseum that the Secret Service wasn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins? Suck it Goldsborough.

Seems there are so few of us left from the "golden days." Almost isn't
worth stopping in anymore.

Jerry
-----------------

It's surprising to see that some "golden" folks are still here. I abandoned
RCC early last year when I got a new computer and really didn't see any need
to follow the "activity" anymore. Recently I had to ressurrect the old Win
XP desktop in order to access the genealogy data my new Win 7 won't let me
transfer. I saw RCC was still loaded so I took a peek. At least the noise
seems to have disappeared. Wishful thinking, but maybe some coin-related
posts will gradually return.

I still bounce from one coin interest to another, from tokens to semi-keys,
to bullion.

Bruce

Old January 20th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article ,
Jud wrote:

On Friday, January 17, 2014 9:29:50 PM UTC-5, Phil DeMayo wrote:
A couple of stories in local newspapers:

New Haven Register:

http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...resident-faces
-charges-for-selling-manufacturing-fake-money

Meriden Record Journal:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/merid.../man-charged-w
ith-selling-fake-antique-coins-in-meriden.html

Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in
your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right.
"Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth anywhere
from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the 1921's? 8-)

Mustabin a "Slow News Day" in the Northeast ... When I wuz helping out
at a local coin shop a few years ago, we used to get people coming in to
sell their "valuable silver coinz" once or twice a week. Most
eventually admitted having bought them for $3 each at a local flea
market, and claimed to not know that they were counterfeit. (YES, even
the "1906 Silver Eagles" ...). I always suggested they turn them in to
the San Jose PeeDee or the Secret Service and try to get the seller
arrested, but as far as I know he's still out there selling them to
"bargain hunters" ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *http://www.kenbarr.com
Old January 23rd 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_3_]

"Bremick" wrote in message

[...]

I still come by every once in a while to see if anything is going on. It is
nice to see some of the old timers here.

I haven't been very active in the coin world lately other than some
discussions I have with a family (father, mother and 3 teenaged+ sons) who I
met several years ago. They really became interested in coins through our
discussions. And they've been very active in coins ever since. They go all
over the place for auctions and also go to the summer seminars at the ANA
in Colorado Springs.

I still have my XP and haven't really felt the need to get a more modern
machine. This machine has Outlook Express which allows me to go to the news
groups easily. I replaced IE8 with Google Chrome and that works quite well.
Apparently there is an incompatibility with IE9 and XP so I couldn't
download it.

I spend a lot of time taking art classes or playing bridge at the local
community center. It gets me out of the house and lets me meet some new and
interesting friends. I also get to display some of my works in sponsored
exhibits. I actually sold 4 ceramic pieces and two paintings. That was
cool!

And, I might go to the NOVA show in Vienna this Saturday or Sunday. I
haven't had much fun there since my favorite dealer passed away a few years
ago. He would take a coin, look up the CDN price and double it. Then he'd
sell it at half the marked price and give an extra 5-10% discount to boot.
And his grading was very accurate. Now the dealers take the CDN price and
double it and add 10%. And that's the price that they want. It's a
different world and not as much fun.

Enough for now!

Richard

Old January 23rd 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_3_]

wrote:

Good to see that you are still here Phil. See that this crook is right in
your backyard too. And again, the news media can't get the story right.
"Morgan Silver Dollars were produced from 1878 to 1904 and are worth
anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars". What about the
1921's? 8-)

Been lurking ever since everybody else dissapeared.

Say....didn't Reid tell us ad nauseum that the Secret Service wasn't
interested in counterfeits of collectible coins?

No! What Reid said was the Secret Service wasn't interested in collections
of counterfeit coins that he used for research with no intent to defraud
anybody. And there is a big different between that and a person who
knowingly buys a group of counterfeit coins and attempts to sell them as
real. That is what the person in these articles did. This person obviously
attempted to defraud anyone who bought these coins. And the attempt to
defraud is what distinguished a copy of a coin from a counterfeit. Every
counterfeit is a copy but not every copy is a counterfeit. And what
distinguishes the two is the intent to defraud. All you have to do is read
the definition of counterfeit.

You noted some time ago that the ANA collection of counterfeits was
investigated by the Secret Service and they were given a letter from the
Secret Service saying that it was legal for the ANA to have that collection.
I'm sure the Secret Service noted that the ANA didn't have any intent to
defraud anyone with their collection. And I'm sure the ANA wasn't allowed
to keep the collection solely because the Secret Service thought they were
the good guys.

Richard

Old January 23rd 14, 08:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:03:50 -0500, "Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

You noted some time ago that the ANA collection of counterfeits was
investigated by the Secret Service and they were given a letter from the
Secret Service saying that it was legal for the ANA to have that collection.
I'm sure the Secret Service noted that the ANA didn't have any intent to
defraud anyone with their collection. And I'm sure the ANA wasn't allowed
to keep the collection solely because the Secret Service thought they were
the good guys.

The ANA collection of counterfiets was actually (or became) a
"reference" collection to aid in the identification of counterfeits.

Quite different than an individual "professional journalist"
attempting to do the same thing without the weight of the ANA as a
federally chartered educational oganization....or doing it without
anyone's permission.
Old January 23rd 14, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_3_]

wrote:

You noted some time ago that the ANA collection of counterfeits was
investigated by the Secret Service and they were given a letter from the
Secret Service saying that it was legal for the ANA to have that
collection.
I'm sure the Secret Service noted that the ANA didn't have any intent to
defraud anyone with their collection. And I'm sure the ANA wasn't allowed
to keep the collection solely because the Secret Service thought they were
the good guys.

The ANA collection of counterfiets was actually (or became) a
"reference" collection to aid in the identification of counterfeits.

Quite different than an individual "professional journalist"
attempting to do the same thing without the weight of the ANA as a
federally chartered educational oganization....or doing it without
anyone's permission.

And the operative phrase is that neither had an intent to defraud. You
really should learn the definition of counterfeit.