So a guy metal detecting finds an 1870-CC half...

Old August 3rd 12, 11:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

Default So a guy metal detecting finds an 1870-CC half...

Alas, not I. It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will work
http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809
http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

Old August 3rd 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 3, 5:57*am, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. * It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will workhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160055&stc...http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...tid=160056&stc...

Do you happen to know if the finder was the auction consignor, or did
the half change owners along the way??? If the finder sold to a
middleman, do you know about what price the finder sold at???
Finally, how much (what %) does one have to pay the auction house,
assuming one consigns a single coin??? Inquiring minds would like to
know. oly
Old August 3rd 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Aug 3, 3:58*pm, oly wrote:
On Aug 3, 5:57*am, Duh_OZ wrote:

Alas, not I. * It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will workhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=160055&stc......

Do you happen to know if the finder was the auction consignor, or did
the half change owners along the way??? *If the finder sold to a
middleman, do you know about what price the finder sold at???
Finally, how much (what %) does one have to pay the auction house,
assuming one consigns a single coin??? *Inquiring minds would like to
know. *oly

The person who found the coin had the auction house sell it off. He
was offered $5000 by someone but he decided to put it up for auction
instead. Auction price was damn close to the $5000 so I guess that
was a fair price for the coin.

I have no idea what they had to pay the auction house for services.
Old August 3rd 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , oly wrote:
On Aug 3, 5:57=A0am, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. =A0 It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...tIdNo=3D191001

Not sure if the links below will workhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/attac=

hment.php?attachmentid=3D160055&stc...http://metaldetectingforum.com/attach=
ment.php?attachmentid=3D160056&stc...

Do you happen to know if the finder was the auction consignor, or did
the half change owners along the way??? If the finder sold to a
middleman, do you know about what price the finder sold at???
Finally, how much (what %) does one have to pay the auction house,
assuming one consigns a single coin??? Inquiring minds would like to
know. oly

oly, your a cynical, sarcastic old man!
um, i have the same questions. smells a bit sharp, no?
Old August 4th 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 3, 4:30*pm, ) wrote:
In article , oly wrote:

On Aug 3, 5:57=A0am, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. =A0 It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...tIdNo=3D191001

Not sure if the links below will workhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/attac=

hment.php?attachmentid=3D160055&stc...http://metaldetectingforum.com/attach=
ment.php?attachmentid=3D160056&stc...

Do you happen to know if the finder was the auction consignor, or did
the half change owners along the way??? *If the finder sold to a
middleman, do you know about what price the finder sold at???
Finally, how much (what %) does one have to pay the auction house,
assuming one consigns a single coin??? *Inquiring minds would like to
know. *oly

oly, your a cynical, sarcastic old man!
um, i have the same questions. *smells a bit sharp, no?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I AM a deep cynic of a certain age, but in this instance my
questions are being asked without much cynicism. I just wondered
about the story, if known: whether the original finder knew what he
was doing, or whether or not some sharpie picked him off.

I would think the auction house might ask as much as 30% for selling a
single coin at this price level, maybe more. It looks like the finder
should have taken the original offer of five thousand.

I would want somebody with lots of experience to look closely at the
surfaces, but this strikes me as a coin that should probably undergo
some "conservation" work.

oly
Old August 4th 12, 02:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

The story is he http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=116998

Speculative prices ran rampant in the thread LOL
Old August 4th 12, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , oly wrote:
On Aug 3, 4:30=A0pm, ) wrote:
In article .=

com, oly wrote:

On Aug 3, 5:57=3DA0am, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. =3DA0 It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage
auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...dNo=3D3D191001

Not sure if the links below will workhttp://metaldetectingforum.com/at=

tac=3D
hment.php?attachmentid=3D3D160055&stc...http://metaldetectingforum.com/a=

ttach=3D
ment.php?attachmentid=3D3D160056&stc...

Do you happen to know if the finder was the auction consignor, or did
the half change owners along the way??? =A0If the finder sold to a
middleman, do you know about what price the finder sold at???
Finally, how much (what %) does one have to pay the auction house,
assuming one consigns a single coin??? =A0Inquiring minds would like to
know. =A0oly

oly, your a cynical, sarcastic old man!
um, i have the same questions. =A0smells a bit sharp, no?- Hide quoted te=

xt -

Yes, I AM a deep cynic of a certain age, but in this instance my
questions are being asked without much cynicism. I just wondered
about the story, if known: whether the original finder knew what he
was doing, or whether or not some sharpie picked him off.

I would think the auction house might ask as much as 30% for selling a
single coin at this price level, maybe more. It looks like the finder
should have taken the original offer of five thousand.

I would want somebody with lots of experience to look closely at the
surfaces, but this strikes me as a coin that should probably undergo
some "conservation" work.

oly

that makes me nervous. conservation ..can be a dirty word. i would leave
that one be.
Old November 13th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Friday, August 3, 2012 6:57:51 AM UTC-4, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage

auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will work

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

I am the person that found that coin. Heritage failed me. When i originally spoke to their consignment fella he quoted me "an easy $6-$8 grand in XF". The coin ended up with a better grade than that and afater everything was done i got about $3800. This passed April a very similar coin sold for $18,000. I will never go with Heritage again.
Old November 14th 12, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:

On Friday, August 3, 2012 6:57:51 AM UTC-4, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage

auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will work

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

I am the person that found that coin. Heritage failed me. When i originally spoke to their consignment fella he quoted me "an easy $6-$8 grand in XF". The coin ended up with a better grade than that and afater everything was done i got about $3800. This passed April a very similar coin sold for $18,000. I will never go with Heritage again.

Similar ain't the same.

AU Details is not the same as AU anything.

Coins that do not have damage go for much more money that ones that do.

The coin is what it is, I don't know why you have a gripe with Heritage.

JAM
Old November 14th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:59:44 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, August 3, 2012 6:57:51 AM UTC-4, Duh_OZ wrote:
Alas, not I. It ended up selling for $4,993.75 at a heritage

auction.

Think it would have sold more if it was (professionally) cleaned?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo...lotIdNo=191001

Not sure if the links below will work

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attac...d=1338498 809

I am the person that found that coin. Heritage failed me. When i originally spoke to their consignment fella he quoted me "an easy $6-$8 grand in XF". The coin ended up with a better grade than that and afater everything was done i got about $3800. This passed April a very similar coin sold for $18,000. I will never go with Heritage again.

Was there ever any conversation about sending the coin to NGC's
conservation company NCS? www.ncscoin.com

Metal Detecting Central giganews Coins 0 May 18th 09 12:17 PM
Found my first holed coin while metal detecting Duh_OZ Coins 6 August 26th 08 04:00 PM
New Metal Detecting Forum - Promote Your MD Business SayYesToMichigan Coins 0 January 20th 08 03:13 AM
New Metal Detecting Ebook andypandy Coins 0 November 28th 06 01:48 PM
Metal-Detecting Blog feedbuzzard Coins 0 June 4th 05 05:10 PM