United Nations 38

Old December 6th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

Default United Nations 38

Hi,

I have two sheets United Nations 38. According to the Scott catalog
there are two printings. I have two of these sheets, but i am having a
difficulty keeping them apart. Can someone assist please. If I have to
believe the sellers, I should have one of each printing.

According to the Scott catalog, I should look at the 8c stamp and locate
a broken line of background shading _below_ the left leg of the 'n' of
'Unies'. To be honest I don't see a difference. I only see a difference
to the _left_ of the left leg of the 'n' of 'Unies'.

I have uploaded an image to my server. One of these should be the first
printing, the other one should be the second printing.

http://www.hystrix.be/Images/un-38.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sir Hystrix
Old December 6th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 12/6/2011 4:42 PM, Sir Hystrix wrote:
Hi,

I have two sheets United Nations 38. According to the Scott catalog
there are two printings. I have two of these sheets, but i am having a
difficulty keeping them apart. Can someone assist please. If I have to
believe the sellers, I should have one of each printing.

According to the Scott catalog, I should look at the 8c stamp and locate
a broken line of background shading _below_ the left leg of the 'n' of
'Unies'. To be honest I don't see a difference.

Me neither. Both have a break in the line under and to the right that
would just miss the leg if it were not broken. The bottom of the leg
itself is slightly tilted in the right image and has a bar in the leg
image. But without an actual illustration of the intended difference, it
is hard to be sure.

Terry

Old December 7th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jeffry Johnson

On Dec 6, 4:42*pm, Sir Hystrix wrote:
I have uploaded an image to my server. One of these should be the first
printing, the other one should be the second printing.

http://www.hystrix.be/Images/un-38.jpg

Both look like the second printing.

To see examples of the first printing, go to the StampStore at
stamps.org.

First printing:
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4209
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4211
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4212
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4215
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4226

This looks like the second printing:
http://www.stamps.org/ShowStamp.aspx....jpg&time=4208

"United Nations Philately" edited by Arleigh Gaines:
"The shading under the word "Unies" on the 8c denomination was
corrected between printings. On the first printing, there is a white
gap under the first leg of the "n". On the second printing, this has
been filled in. The lighter shading lines on the background of the 3c
denomination also have been strengthened."
Old December 7th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jeffry Johnson

On Dec 6, 6:33*pm, Jeffry Johnson wrote:
On Dec 6, 4:42*pm, Sir Hystrix wrote:

I have uploaded an image to my server. One of these should be the first
printing, the other one should be the second printing.

http://www.hystrix.be/Images/un-38.jpg

Both look like the second printing.

Sorry, looks like those URL's don't work.

Here the description from the 1972 Lindner catalog.

"The word "Unies" on the open book of the 8c stamp is the best
distinguishing factor for the two printings: In the first printing
there is a blank space between the letters "n" and "i" and also "i"
and "e", furthermore a white space below the left leg of the already
mentioned "n". In the second printing those blank spaces have been
eliminated by filling the spaces. Also many light lines added to
strengthen book pages on 3c."
Old December 8th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 12/6/2011 8:05 PM, Jeffry Johnson wrote:
On Dec 6, 6:33 pm, Jeffry wrote:
On Dec 6, 4:42 pm, Sir wrote:

I have uploaded an image to my server. One of these should be the first
printing, the other one should be the second printing.

http://www.hystrix.be/Images/un-38.jpg

Both look like the second printing.

From the description below and the stampstore images, I agree.

Sorry, looks like those URL's don't work.

They seem to be time-stamped.

Go to http://stamps.org/StampStore and search United Nations 38 and they
appear on the first page.