A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Stamps » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

solution for taking new stamps off paper



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 14th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Neb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. Please, someone help

Ads
  #2  
Old October 15th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 188
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/14/2011 12:12 PM, Neb wrote:
I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. Please, someone help


The problem is that new glues are not water-soluble. Some people have
used various things to try to get it off. Others leave the stamps on
paper and cut neatly just outside the stamp and any fake perforations.
Others collect on entire covers (envelopes). Others only collect mint
(or unused cancelled-to-order).

Terry


  #3  
Old October 15th 11, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Neb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On Oct 15, 11:21*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Neb found these unused words:

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. *All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. *The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. *Please, someone help


You can but try:
Place them face down on a piece of 'plastic'. Old type non textured formica
works, for example.

When they 'pop', place into the drying book to 'straighten'.


Are you talking about solid pices of plastic? Can you give me a
little more descrition of the plastic you are talking about. My mine
is not working too good this morning
Thanks,
Neb
  #4  
Old October 16th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Neb found these unused words:

On Oct 15, 11:21*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Neb found these unused words:

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. *All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. *The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. *Please, someone help

...snip

I finally gave it up and only collect the 'classic' periods of three
countries now.


That was a splendid advice :-)
but I found a perfect method - I can only talk for the new Danish
stamps, though.

No water. Nothing but your fingers! If you have a piece of paper with
the cancelled sticky stamp. Bend the paper totally at a corner of the
stamp. You can then catch the corner of the stamp between two fingers
and draw the stamp slooowly and very carefully of the paper.

You will then see that ALL the sticky glue will be left back on the
paper and not on the stamp.

The paper of these stamps is thick enough to do this and if you want
you can put the stamps in water afterwards and dry them in a book to
get them (more) plain than before. There will not be the slightest
glue left on the stamp.

I have tried with 10 Danish stamps - that's what I had at hand - and
it worked. (And continued to collect classic stamps after that :-)

Mvh
Toke
--

Læs om Ejnar Olsen og Søllestedmærkerne
samt om trusselsbrevet til kong Fr. 8!
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
  #5  
Old October 16th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/16/2011 11:54, Toke Nørby wrote:

That was a splendid advice :-)
but I found a perfect method - I can only talk for the new Danish
stamps, though.

No water. Nothing but your fingers! If you have a piece of paper with
the cancelled sticky stamp. Bend the paper totally at a corner of the
stamp. You can then catch the corner of the stamp between two fingers
and draw the stamp slooowly and very carefully of the paper.

You will then see that ALL the sticky glue will be left back on the
paper and not on the stamp.

The paper of these stamps is thick enough to do this and if you want
you can put the stamps in water afterwards and dry them in a book to
get them (more) plain than before. There will not be the slightest
glue left on the stamp.

I have tried with 10 Danish stamps - that's what I had at hand - and
it worked. (And continued to collect classic stamps after that :-)


I've tried a similar method with US stamps, but many now are too thin
for that to work well. After soaking, I've sometimes able to rub the
adhesive off the back of the stamp, but even that isn't reliable. For
my kids, where the value of the stamp is in having it in the book rather
than keeping it in pristine condition, what I have sometimes done is to
let the stamps dry as much as possible and the carefully rub the
adhesive side with fingers coated in flour. The flour adheres to the
backs and makes them "un-sticky".

-Don

  #6  
Old October 17th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 188
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/16/2011 1:47 PM, Don Levey wrote:

I've tried a similar method with US stamps, but many now are too thin
for that to work well. After soaking, I've sometimes able to rub the
adhesive off the back of the stamp, but even that isn't reliable.


I have had the paper in bare areas start 'rubbing off' before all the
glue was gone.

For
my kids, where the value of the stamp is in having it in the book rather
than keeping it in pristine condition, what I have sometimes done is to
let the stamps dry as much as possible and the carefully rub the
adhesive side with fingers coated in flour. The flour adheres to the
backs and makes them "un-sticky".


Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

I have used this to de-stick other things too.

Terry

  #7  
Old October 19th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper


.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".


Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).




Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name


  #8  
Old October 19th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".


Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).




Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don
  #9  
Old October 19th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 129
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/18/2011 7:20 PM, Don Levey wrote:
On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".


Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).




Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don

Baking soda works too.

Bill
  #10  
Old October 19th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 188
Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/19/2011 2:21 PM, Billns wrote:
On 10/18/2011 7:20 PM, Don Levey wrote:
On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).



Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don

Baking soda works too.


This is probably a good idea. The common brands are not as finely
divided but it is non-toxic, inorganic, and will neutralize a bit of
paper acidity.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US stamps Blue Paper phantomm_1 General Discussion 2 January 19th 10 01:46 AM
Can stamps be used as toilet paper ? ? ? ? Dan Simper General Discussion 0 February 8th 05 06:56 AM
WTB Off paper worldwide stamps GS3 Marketplace 0 January 15th 05 04:45 AM
Website for Off paper Worldwide Stamps Gil General Discussion 1 December 26th 04 12:30 AM
How to remove self-adhesive stamps from paper ? Klaus Rampelmann General Discussion 17 November 11th 04 11:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.