Static Bursts

Old February 1st 06, 02:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default Static Bursts

I have a Wurlitzer 1050. About two weeks ago, while sitting idle,
static bursts started coming out of the speakers. Visually, everything
appeared fine. I played a record and when the record returned to the
rack the static stopped and didn't start again until last, in the
middle of the night naturally, only much louder this time. I keep the
jukebox on 24/7 but probably only play records every 2 to 3 weeks.

I can replace just about anything but have no troubleshooting skills
when it comes to things like this. Does anyone have any idea what the
problem might be or where I should start looking? Thanks.

Old February 1st 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Is it both channels? Could be a noisy transistor or a bad sokdwe joint.
I also eremember something about a certain type of resistor used on the
boards that was prone to noise. Try this, get a can of cooling spray
and a hair dryer. When the static starts, try spraying the transistors
one at a time and see if if stops. Heat it with the hair dryer, if it
starts agin, you found it. Do the same with the resistors on the board.
When you have the board out check it for bad soldering.. If you cn't
find it, contact me direct for repairs.
Charlie

Old February 2nd 06, 12:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Could also be something else in your house generating static, and the
amp picking it up like a radio. Got anything high voltage, like neon
signs, dimmers switches, microwaves, TV's nearby?

Terry.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

The jukebox is sitting fairly close to a TV, but it's been in that
location for a couple of years and I haven't added any high voltage
items in the house recently. I've had the jukebox well over ten years
and this is the first time I've had this problem, or any problem with
it for that matter. Except for changing the turntable belts and an
occasional light, it's been remarkably trouble free.

Charlie, it is coming both channels. I'll try your suggestions this
weekend, or when the noise comes back. I have it unplugged right now.
Thanks.

Old February 4th 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

I would start with the machine on get it warm as normal then unplug it ,
remove whatever you need to to get to the circuit boards plug it back in
then with a screwdriver handle start tapping on circuits , relays and
connectors to see if anything acts up and where to help find it .
I have fixed hundreds of things like that