Background Information on the Stories in AA's Big Book

Old August 2nd 03, 09:41 AM
RRiley9945

Default Background Information on the Stories in AA's Big Book

I just purchased a book which tells the biographies of the people who wrote the
stories in the first three editions of the Big Book. There is no author or
copyright material so I willing to make copies for anyone who might be
interested. It is 103 pages long and all I ask is the cost of Xeroxing and
postage.
Old August 2nd 03, 01:49 PM
fwdixon

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote
How do you know it isn't covered by copyright? Is it explicitly placed in
the public domain? Otherwise, chances are it is copyrighted.

I'll bet when you were a kid you were the one who told the teacher who
misbehaved when she was out of the room.
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old August 2nd 03, 02:42 PM
fwdixon

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote
I was the sort of kid who pedantically corrected other kids' errors of
fact, when we were all hanging round together chewing the fat.

I'll bet you got beat up a lot.

Old August 2nd 03, 03:54 PM
Alfred Armstrong

"fwdixon" wrote in news:bggf1l$onsgr$1@ID-
182835.news.uni-berlin.de:

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote
I was the sort of kid who pedantically corrected other kids' errors of
fact, when we were all hanging round together chewing the fat.

I'll bet you got beat up a lot.

Wishful thinking: in fact, due to my great wit and charm, I was
universally popular.

To return to books, can anyone suggest any great, unreliable,
autobiographies? I am a big fan of Frank Harris's _My Life and Loves_ and
I wonder what other liars' memoirs are out there.

--
Alfred Armstrong
Now! With added Dot.Communism: http://www.oddbooks.com/
Old August 2nd 03, 05:30 PM
Jon Meyers

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote in message
"fwdixon" wrote in news:bggf1l$onsgr$1@ID-
182835.news.uni-berlin.de:

"Alfred Armstrong" wrote
I was the sort of kid who pedantically corrected other kids' errors of
fact, when we were all hanging round together chewing the fat.

I'll bet you got beat up a lot.

Wishful thinking: in fact, due to my great wit and charm, I was
universally popular.

To return to books, can anyone suggest any great, unreliable,
autobiographies? I am a big fan of Frank Harris's _My Life and Loves_ and
I wonder what other liars' memoirs are out there.

Lillian Hellman's memoirs--An Unfinished Woman, Pentimento, Scoundrel Time,
and Maybe--are notoriously riddled with self-serving lies. Mary McCarthy
once said of Hellman, "Every word she writes is a lie-including 'and' and
'the.' "

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old August 3rd 03, 07:06 AM
Jon Meyers

"Jon Meyers" wrote...
"Alfred Armstrong" wrote...
...I wonder what other liars' memoirs are out there.

Lillian Hellman's memoirs--An Unfinished Woman, Pentimento, Scoundrel

Time,
and Maybe--are notoriously riddled with self-serving lies....

An obvious one, in a much less literary vein: Chuck Barris's "Confessions of
a Dangerous Mind," in which the creator of The Dating Game, The Newlywed
Game, and The Gong Show claims that he was also a CIA hitman. If Chuck
Barris ever assassinated anybody, then I'm the starting middle linebacker
for the Rams...

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old August 7th 03, 03:40 AM
Bob Riedel

One of the greats: I WAS A WHITE SLAVE IN HARLEM by Margo Howard-Howard (born
Robert Hesse) [NY: 4 Walls 8 Windows, 1988], Warhol associate and pre-eminent
drag queen. The early part (birth to a highborn diplomat, youth in Malaysia) is
entirely spurious (Hesse was born and raised in Brooklyn); the rest is at least
wildly exaggerated and vastly entertaining. She was a great raconteur, and the
book reads like one of the storytelling marathons she would launch into after a
few drinks (I was privileged to be present for a few of these). Margo sadly
died at New York Hospital just before the book came out -- the same hospital
Andy Warhol died in the year before following a routine operation. I remember
Taylor Mead, a few days after Margo died, saying, "Honey, if I ever need a
doctor, whatever you do, DON'T take me to New York Hospital!"

Alfred Armstrong writes:

To return to books, can anyone suggest any great, unreliable,
autobiographies? I am a big fan of Frank Harris's _My Life and Loves_ and
I wonder what other liars' memoirs are out there.

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat