Can't they redesign the $1 Bill if...

Old January 10th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Can't they redesign the $1 Bill if...

Okay,

I read about the "Cents for Sensibility Act" and I'm pretty sure that,
if the composition of the U.S. coinage is changed, it will cost
vendors ALOT of money to reprgram their machines to take the new
coins, SO...

IF these ideas go through, can't we redesign the half dollar coin to
fit in vending machine coin slots? And can't the vendors program their
machines to take these new halves?

And more importantly, can't the Treasury redesign the $1 (and $2)
bills, and can't the vendors just upgrade for the new $1 (and $2)
bills while they have their machines torn to hell to reprogram for the
new coins?

(Don't give me crap about not needing to redesign the $1 bill because
of the dollar coin replacing it. Thats the biggest bunch of bull,
otherwise they would have done it years ago)
Old January 10th 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

On Jan 9, 9:58*pm, wrote:

Don't give me crap about not needing to redesign the $1
bill because of the dollar coin replacing it. That's the
biggest bunch of bull, otherwise they would have done it
years ago.

But you forget that we Americans are really slow to catch on to new
things. Look how long it took us to accept paper money. And how long
it's taking us to implement the metric system, even now that it's been
made official.

We'll catch up to the rest of the world eventually, where pieces of
money with values of about a dollar, or even more, are coins, not
paper.

Or maybe we'll move to plastic money, and catch up with Australia and
Mexico.

--
Stefano
Old January 10th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 9, 10:58*pm, wrote:
Okay,

I read about the "Cents for Sensibility Act" and I'm pretty sure that,
if the composition of the U.S. coinage is changed, it will cost
vendors ALOT of money to reprgram their machines to take the new
coins, SO...

IF these ideas go through, can't we redesign the half dollar coin to
fit in vending machine coin slots? And can't the vendors program their
machines to take these new halves?

And more importantly, can't the Treasury redesign the $1 (and $2)
bills, and can't the vendors just upgrade for the new $1 (and $2)
bills while they have their machines torn to hell to reprogram for the
new coins?

(Don't give me crap about not needing to redesign the $1 bill because
of the dollar coin replacing it. Thats the biggest bunch of bull,
otherwise they would have done it years ago)

Congress told the BEP long ago that IF they value their annual
appropriation, don't mess with the one dollar bill.

Too much of a national icon to change.

I can't readily find an article from that far back, but that was the
gist of the Congressional message to the BEP.

oly
Old January 10th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC

"Stefano MacGregor" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 9:58 pm, wrote:

it's taking us to implement the metric system, even now that it's been
made official.

Reagan squashed it. Another Republican president with a great vision for
our country's future.

Old January 11th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:44:33 -0800 (PST), oly wrote:

On Jan 9, 10:58*pm, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, redesigning the $1 would ruin those bill folding tricks, not
that I've ever been able to do anything more fancy than a bow-tie.

Personally, I wish they had not changed the other denominations twice.
I liked the first change made to the $20s and $10s, but some of the
new colors are ugly. And the new $5 is going to have PURPLE!. Why
didn't they stick to red, white and blue for the colors? BTW, for the
$1, a small Washington watermark could be added without changing the
look of the bill. Nor should it effect vending machines. That would
prevent counterfeiters from bleaching the $1 bill and printing higher
denominations which was apparently the reason for the watermark on the
$5.

$1 Bill Redesign Malanutt 4 Life Coins 6 August 23rd 04 04:12 AM
US Coin redesign and WTOP Alan Williams Coins 4 August 12th 04 09:16 PM
$2 Bill Redesign Malanutt 4 Life Coins 4 October 14th 03 09:31 PM
Who favors a $2 Bill Redesign? SF Coins 35 September 9th 03 03:50 PM
$1 Bill Elimination or Redesign Info mrskippy Coins 45 August 27th 03 03:30 AM