KELLY FREAS NOTIFICATION...

Old January 3rd 05, 06:04 AM
Gnome de Plume

Default KELLY FREAS NOTIFICATION...

Spider Robinson is announcing on alt.callahans that the legendary SF
artist and illustrator Frank Kelly Freas is not expected to survive the
night. Robinson is a longtime friend of the Freas family, and if anyone
should be in the know - it is he.

Freas' art always evoked a thrilling delight at the vast wonder of the
Science Fiction universe and the 'people' in it. His respected and
prodigious SF and Fantasy covers made me pick up and enjoy more than one
book that I might otherwise have passed on ( especially in the largely
unlamented but bizarrely collectible series of LASER books out of Canada
in the 70's & '80's )...because you knew that if it was a Freas cover
that what you were seeing, that the mood it was evoking was likely to be
found in the story as well. Freas leaves behind a tremendous body of
work...much of it forever tied in the minds of readers to the books he
graced with his illustrative genius. He was also the creator of that
seminal 'What, me worry?' character that peered out of a thousand MAD
magazine covers - Alfred E. Neuman.

It's an immortality, in a way.

I'll miss the man and all the new art he might have made given
the time! :-(

Why does genuine talent have to be tied to these ephemeral bodies of
ours? Hugh Hefner ( when discussing the untimely death of Dorothy
Straton ) was once quoted as saying: 'The most unfair thing in life is
mortality, and the only thing that makes it bearable is the certain
knowledge that the suffrage is universal.' Guess that sums it up.

Old January 3rd 05, 08:04 AM
Bud Webster

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:04:14 GMT, Gnome de Plume
wrote:

Kelly died Sunday morning at just before 5am. I knew him for 30 years
and a bit, and will never know anyone else like him. We've lost a
giant.
Old January 4th 05, 12:51 AM
Gnome de Plume

michael adams wrote:

"Gnome de Plume" wrote in message

Why does genuine talent have to be tied to these ephemeral
bodies of ours? Hugh Hefner ( when discussing the untimely
death of Dorothy Straton ) was once quoted as saying: 'The
most unfair thing in life is mortality, and the only thing
that makes it bearable is the certain knowledge that the
suffrage is universal.' Guess that sums it up.

The term "suffrage", as in "universal suffrage", refers to
the right to vote. From the Latin root - suffrigium.

Perhaps Mr Hefner should stick to what he knows best.

Guess that sums it up.

michael adams

Not Hef's fault...mine, and my crappy spell checker. And if you don't
believe the man is a pretty fair philosopher then you simply have never
read or understood his political and sociological writings. :-p

--

Not a replacement for genuine human interaction.

Emmett Kelly Jr. CalRima Autographs 3 August 24th 04 07:15 AM
Emmett Kelly "The Pharmacist" kerrysux General 0 July 21st 04 09:09 PM
Kelly McGillis in Washington DC Rich Autographs 0 March 24th 04 07:00 PM
Auction - Kelly Brook - British model/TV presenter.... autographed photo. Matthew George Autographs 0 September 12th 03 10:28 PM
Limited Edition Emmett Kelly Jr. Figurines Ric Robinson General 0 July 30th 03 03:22 PM