New here

Old January 2nd 05, 08:50 PM

Default New here

Hiya all, I am new to this newsgroup and new to book collecting in
general. I am a senior in highschool and don't have much funds but I
do have a definate love for books. I started reading the newsgroups
FAQ because I was looking for ways to preserve a 98 year old book of
english poems that was my great grandfather's when he was a boy. I am
espesialy interested in collecting original books of poetry particulary
english romantics (if they can be found) is anyone else here interested
in this area? What should I look for? Anyone else like W.B. Yeats or
John Keats?

Dan

Old January 3rd 05, 01:23 AM

Welcome to the group. I'd suggest that
you check out Bookfinder.com and Abe.com for the authors you find most
appealing, but, understand that poets
like Keats have been highly collectible
for over 150 years with innumerable
editions in every condition from pristine to
found-it-on-the-bottom-of-the-dumpster.
This is NOT to discourage you. Collect
what you love, read as much as you can,
and budget accordingly. Hang around
good used book stores, ask polite questions of owners or experienced
clerks, make lists, dream, go book-hunting
in local thrifts, Salvation Army stores,
garage sales, estate sales, and library
sales. Expect to pick up ten times as
many pieces of junk as good stuff (that's
probably an understatement) and have
fun. It's a form of insanity, but one in
which you learn a hell of a lot. Again--
enjoy yourself. When it becomes drudgery,
consider rejoining the lists of ordinary
mortals--at least for a while.
--Dave Conford