A new contender.

Old May 26th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default A new contender.

For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

Old May 26th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

You are correct in saying that the coin is nowhere near VF+. However, this
dealer does not offend me in the least, since he starts the bidding very
low. In this auction it is possible that someone will win a really neat
piece of history for the equivalent of 75c U.S. Where else can you have
that pleasure for less than a buck?

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 26th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

The part that bothers me the most is the "restored to beautiful copper
lustre".
That can't be good! In all coin auctions I pretty much ignore the grade
as well as any hype anyway as almost all I see are overgraded.

For these coins the most detracting feature that I usually see is rough
edges.
I hate that on a copper! Especially the Cartwheel Penny or US large Cents.
This one doesn't look too bad but it is not
one I am interested in owning.

Dale

Old May 26th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

You are correct in saying that the coin is nowhere near VF+. However, this
dealer does not offend me in the least, since he starts the bidding very low.
In this auction it is possible that someone will win a really neat piece of
history for the equivalent of 75c U.S. Where else can you have that pleasure
for less than a buck?

Mr. Jaggers

Plus, you don't have to pay for that extensive restoration! Like restoring
classic cars or building hotrods, you seldom get your money back when you sell.
Where's my checkbook? Or maybe the seller will accept payment in old Aussie
coins from my foreign goodie box.

Bruce

Old May 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message "note.boy" wrote:

For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

Must be the Australian grading system! An optimistic lot....

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old May 26th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:34:25 -0400, "Bruce Remick"

"note.boy" wrote in message
For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other offerings.
Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

You are correct in saying that the coin is nowhere near VF+. However, this
dealer does not offend me in the least, since he starts the bidding very low.
In this auction it is possible that someone will win a really neat piece of
history for the equivalent of 75c U.S. Where else can you have that pleasure
for less than a buck?

Mr. Jaggers

Plus, you don't have to pay for that extensive restoration! Like restoring
classic cars or building hotrods, you seldom get your money back when you sell.
Where's my checkbook? Or maybe the seller will accept payment in old Aussie
coins from my foreign goodie box.

Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks for the good idea. My 1942 Ford Fordor streetrod will be
completed within the next two months. I wonder what kind of deal I
could swing with Ira for really nice key coins. I bet he and his
missus would really enjoy tooling around in the car.
All steel body, frame off build, 350 cubic inch Chevy crate engine
putting out 330 horse power on 87 octane. R700 overdrive automatic
transmission, Ford 8 inch rear end. Four wheel power disc brakes,
power steering (via Fatman Fabrications independent suspension and
streering rack), air conditioning, dechromed and handles removed,
remote control door openers and power window openers, remote control
open and close trunk.
When they started to build the car I told them that I'm old, I'm fat,
I'm lazy, and don't need to impress anyone, so the seat slides back
far enough and there is no effort driving it. I can even open the
back doors to let someone in by pressing a button. It's also
extremely quite as I have a lot of respect for my neighbors and I
don't want to wake them up cranking up in the morning.
So, Ira, being a little bit old, not fat, not lazy and he surely
doesn't need to impress anyone, would fit right in. Maybe he'd trade
for an MS65 1916 SLQ and a few early dollars.
Cliff

Old May 26th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm amazed that anyone who might spend years crafting things for themselves
like boats, cars (rods & customs), even homes, could ever bear to part with
their "labor of love". I sure could never detach myself from the emotional bond
after so much work and expense to consider selling ith what I had taken so much
care to build.
Since we don't "build" our individual coins (apologies to the elongated
makers), they usually can come and go without a tear. However, building a coin
*collection* can be another thing, emotionally, if selling becomes necessary.
In that regard, I'm sure Ira would enjoy your Ford in return for some of his
impersonal numismatic goodies. His special toilet seat ought to fit somewhere.
As for me, my neighbors were driving those things when I was a kid, so they
don't seem that "old" to me. (We were a Chevy family.) My
mechanically-inclined friends were always customizing and souping up their
flathead Fords from that era, which seemed to be bought cheaply and were easy to
work on. I liked to watch and maybe help out, but I never learned enough to do
one myself.

Bruce

Old May 26th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:53:15 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

.. .

"note.boy" wrote in message
[...]

The key is in the building. The same as coin sets I've built. It's
the design, the search, the assembly and then viewing the end product
and then the joy is done and it's time to move on to something else.
I've never built a coin set where once it was done I would lock it
away or even sit and look at it and enjoy it. The same with the car.
The joy is in having a vision, fulfilling that vision and then moving
on to the next vision.

Right now my big vision is on an old cotton mill and 7 acres of land
in the middle of downtown Douglasville, Georgia. We are talking about
150,000 square feet, two story tall, brick building, completely open
end to end and having some of the most beautiful windows, hidden
behind shutters that would make a great start on some upscale condons
and upscale office space.

Someone bought an old thread mill and converted it in to offices and
it's packed with lawyers, brokers and the sort of folks that put on
the ritz at work. They kept the original wood floors and the old
thread had actually become one with the wood making amazing designs.
A few coats of sealer and some polimer stuff and they had ready made
flooring.

Anyway, I've got the backers with the cash and backers with the cash
to do a conversion but my wife keeps reminding me that I've never
undertaken this kind of project before (never stopped me from doing
anything else) and that given my health I probably wouldn't live long
enough to see it finished. So, we will see. I'm going this weekend
with the photographer and see what kind of presentation we can work up
for a meeting next week.

Again, it's having the vision, making a plan, carrying it through,
seeing the results and then walking away to something new.

Have a great Memorial day, think about the guys and gals that went
over and didn't come back. I went and came back and some day the
nightmares will stop.

Oh and I apologize for getting so far off topic but when I get going
it's hard to stop.

Any bets on what silver is going to close at on Tuesday?
Cliff

Old May 26th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall"AT"cableone.net wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message
For the most overgraded coins on ebay, have a look at his other
offerings. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422423992

The part that bothers me the most is the "restored to beautiful copper
lustre".
That can't be good! In all coin auctions I pretty much ignore the grade
as well as any hype anyway as almost all I see are overgraded.

For these coins the most detracting feature that I usually see is rough
edges.
I hate that on a copper! Especially the Cartwheel Penny or US large Cents.
This one doesn't look too bad but it is not
one I am interested in owning.

Dale

The one I first posted about was the better one, he has another, he claims
it's VF but it's nowhere near it. I hope he doesn't drive with eyesight
this bad. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...temZ8422424070

Old May 27th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...itemZ842242399
2

The part that bothers me the most is the "restored to beautiful copper
lustre".
That can't be good! In all coin auctions I pretty much ignore the grade
as well as any hype anyway as almost all I see are overgraded.

For these coins the most detracting feature that I usually see is rough
edges.
I hate that on a copper! Especially the Cartwheel Penny or US large

Cents.
This one doesn't look too bad but it is not
one I am interested in owning.

Dale

The one I first posted about was the better one, he has another, he claims
it's VF but it's nowhere near it. I hope he doesn't drive with eyesight
this bad. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/UK-Famous-Cartwh...itemZ842242407
0

The rim bumps alone (ignoring any other distractions) ruin it for me.
I guess I am too picky which is why I don't have one yet.

Dale

LAST MINUTES L.J. Smith 1/1 Contender auto back on eBay Harry Marcado Football (US) 0 February 8th 04 03:25 PM
L.J. Smith 1/1 Contender auto back on eBay Harry Marcado Football (US) 1 February 4th 04 06:16 PM
NEW TRADE LIST Ray Morgan Baseball 0 January 20th 04 03:42 PM
NEW TRADE LIST Ray Morgan Basketball 0 January 20th 04 03:42 PM
Serious contender for new auction site! Richard Moriarty Books 0 August 10th 03 11:58 PM