89 years on the march

Old January 28th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 89 years on the march

And Lord only knows where it's been! But it's home now, home for good.
Just popped out of a roll of nickles I got at the bank this morning, a
1917 Buffalo Nickel, full date, G-4. Welcome home, old man.

I had a feeling I was due for another Buffalo. The real one, not the
2005 honorary bison. ;-)

Some people may not like roll searches or collecting this way. Some may
prefer browsing the web to buy ancient coins using their credit cards.
Cleaned ancient coins. Cleaned ancient coins of uncertain provenance.
And demanding that all reference works on said material be in English.
To each their own. g

Alan
'just what I hear'
Old January 28th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Alan Williams" wrote in message
And Lord only knows where it's been! But it's home now, home for good.
Just popped out of a roll of nickles I got at the bank this morning, a
1917 Buffalo Nickel, full date, G-4. Welcome home, old man...

Now, that is a find! I've never found anything older than the 40's.

Anita

Old January 28th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Alan Williams wrote:

And Lord only knows where it's been! But it's home now, home for good.
Just popped out of a roll of nickles I got at the bank this morning, a
1917 Buffalo Nickel, full date, G-4. Welcome home, old man.

I had a feeling I was due for another Buffalo. The real one, not the
2005 honorary bison. ;-)

Some people may not like roll searches or collecting this way. Some may
prefer browsing the web to buy ancient coins using their credit cards.
Cleaned ancient coins. Cleaned ancient coins of uncertain provenance.
And demanding that all reference works on said material be in English.
To each their own. g

Alan
'just what I hear'

I grab a few rolls when I need parking meter coins :-)
Old January 29th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Richard Adams wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:

And Lord only knows where it's been! But it's home now, home for good.
Just popped out of a roll of nickles I got at the bank this morning, a
1917 Buffalo Nickel, full date, G-4. Welcome home, old man.

I had a feeling I was due for another Buffalo. The real one, not the
2005 honorary bison. ;-)

Some people may not like roll searches or collecting this way. Some may
prefer browsing the web to buy ancient coins using their credit cards.
Cleaned ancient coins. Cleaned ancient coins of uncertain provenance.
And demanding that all reference works on said material be in English.
To each their own. g

Alan
'just what I hear'

I grab a few rolls when I need parking meter coins :-)

you gleep abba zeppo grab a few gulp gummo rolls of Buffalo bono mazola
nickel rolls for fortuna fanta parking meter change?

Alan
'gibbering reaction'
Old January 29th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In my wife's change today was a 1907 IHC in good condition. A nice
surprice...

Tom

Old January 29th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Alan Williams wrote:

Richard Adams wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:

[...]

I go through the flaming hoops at the BoA to get a few rolls of nickels
for parking meter change. I search them and the remainders end up in a
sack I pull from to feed meters, rather than feed them my precious
quarters when all I need is 12 minutes. :-) Got a 43-S last time.
Old January 29th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:32:01 -0500, Alan Williams
wrote:

Some may prefer browsing the web to buy ancient coins using their credit cards.

PayPal is more popular than straight credit cards. But you can't beat
buying in person, looking at the coin from various angles. But you
knew that.

Cleaned ancient coins.

Virtually all ancient coins are cleaned. A tiny percentage never wound
up in a hoard underground for two millennia or so, dirty and
encrusted. But you knew that.

Cleaned ancient coins of uncertain provenance.

Virtually all ancient coins have uncertain provenance. You can't get
information beyond who you're buying from for more than a tiny
percentage because of the realities of the industry. But you knew
that.

To each their own. g

Bad grammar. But you knew that. g

--