The Book-less Library: Coming Soon?

Old May 20th 05, 02:54 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Default The Book-less Library: Coming Soon?

SES wrote:
EXCERPT:

Posted on Mon, May. 16, 2005

Longhorns to check books out for good

By Ralph Blumenthal

NEW YORK TIMES

HOUSTON - Students attending the University of Texas will find
something missing from the undergraduate library this fall.

Books.

By mid-July, the university says, almost all of the library's 90,000
volumes will be dispersed to other university collections to clear
space for a 24-hour electronic information commons, a fast-spreading
phenomenon that is transforming research and study on campuses around
the country.

More at:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...n/11658651.htm

---

As much as I relish the convenience of e-text, there is something
surpassingly sad about the absence of actual books in a library
setting. I don't know if it is the tactile experience or just the fact
that, with a book, you've got self-contained set of tools necessary to
access the information it contains. No batteries required.

How do you think this development will impact the publishing industry,
book-sales, etc. in the near term?

SES

On the other hand, the University of Toronto just completed construction of a
600,000 volume Rare Book Library that even includes a cuneiform tablet. Maybe,
they figure it is a good time to buy cheap from the University of Texas.

Research on pre-printing press texts is not quite as simple as scanning the page
or transcribing the text. First, the scanned page may not show erasures or
changes in text as well as the original, and a transcribed text involves
interpretation of characters that might be ambiguous. The Oxford editions of
classical Greek and Latin texts attest to the difficulties of which I speak.
Further, damaged texts have to be seen in person to determine the length of the
line that should have been written to estimate the likely number of characters
that are missing. Just take a look at the first few pages of Eco's "Baudolino"
to see some of these issues presented.

Texts printed post 1500 CE present fewer of these problems, though they are not
problem free by any means. How many novels, for instance, contain changes
between the first printing and the second printing. Then there are the kind of
differences in text presented, say, by Melville's "Moby-Dick", where the first
English publication contains a significant number of differences with respect to
the first American edition. Both were fairly close in publication time. Which
one is the preferred text has been the subject of much critical analysis. The
library personnel in charge of scanning or copying the texts would have to know
about this in order to make research possible. Another example is the book,
known in the USA, as "Bob, Son of Battle". The English and American versions
differ in both title and text.

Electronic texts may or may not gloss over these important differences. It
requires an acute scholar to take all of this into account. It is not to be
expected that the 90,000 volumes got anything like this sort of treatment.
Thus, by means of selection, inadvertent or otherwise, the University has
limited the quality of research that can be done.

Imagine Arturo Perez-Reverte's "The Club Dumas" if there were only e-texts around!

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 20th 05, 05:52 PM
Jonathan Grobe

On 2005-05-20, John A Stovall wrote:

They are not getting rid of the books. They are placing them in other
libraries on campus. Besides Undergraduates are not scholars. The
scholars at the UT Austin campus will continue to have the Ransom
collection to work with as well as all the books which were in that
building and the other world class collections there.

Actually undergraduate libraries are generally something which became
widespread in the 1970s or so among large universities--before that
undergraduates used the general university library (humanities) and
departmental branch libraries (sciences, art, music, law...). [Although
the very largest universities such as Harvard had them for a long time]
When tight budgets cames, frequently the universities quit adding
stock to these undergraduate collections. With the switch to using
electronic resources in the last few years, many of these universities
have gotten rid of the undergraduate library (adding the existing
stock to other university collections) and using the space for
electronic resources.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Old May 21st 05, 02:04 AM
Allison Turner-

on Fri, 20 May 2005 09:36:00 -0400, SES stated:

On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:54:17 -0400, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

SES wrote:

[A texas university converts undergrad library to all e-text]
As much as I relish the convenience of e-text, there is something
surpassingly sad about the absence of actual books in a library
setting. I don't know if it is the tactile experience or just the fact
that, with a book, you've got self-contained set of tools necessary to
access the information it contains. No batteries required.

How do you think this development will impact the publishing industry,
book-sales, etc. in the near term?

SES

On the other hand, the University of Toronto just completed construction of a
600,000 volume Rare Book Library that even includes a cuneiform tablet.
Maybe,

they figure it is a good time to buy cheap from the University of Texas.

*grin*

[Very enlightening description of the difficulties of
creating/obtaining/etc. very old books as e-text deleted]

Thank you for this very enlightening (and encouraging) response.
Perhaps our great-grandchildren won't be relegated to visiting museums
in order to answer the question, "What's a book?"

Consider, also, the actual process of reading. I spend a
lot of my time on line, reading a lot of stuff. I'm also
in the middle of writing a PhD dissertation, entailing yet
more hours on the computer.

I don't object in the least to that computer time. But
I'll be damned if I'll read an entire novel on a computer
screen. I print out the (relatively short) scientific
articles I need for my dissertation, and read them as
hardcopy; it's so much easier. But printing out an e-text
of a novel? What on earth is the point, when you can buy
a paperback copy for less than the cost of the printer ink?

Search capacity is a great thing, and it will be nice to
have computer access to texts that are otherwise too rare
for most of us to ever see. But I suspect that there will
need to be a major evolution in computers before the majority
of the books that get read are in electronic format instead
of nice, solid paper between classic covers.

-Allison

Old May 22nd 05, 01:34 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Allison Turner- wrote:

on Fri, 20 May 2005 09:36:00 -0400, SES stated:
snip
Search capacity is a great thing, and it will be nice to
have computer access to texts that are otherwise too rare
for most of us to ever see. But I suspect that there will
need to be a major evolution in computers before the majority
of the books that get read are in electronic format instead
of nice, solid paper between classic covers.

-Allison

Yes. Print is about 1600x1600 dpi in resolution. Monitors still have a ways to
go. (I set mine at 1152 x 864 [only about 38% as sharp as a book], which drives
most people who look at my monitor crazy.) Then there is the problem of taking
the monitor to the bathroom to read!

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 25th 05, 08:57 AM
Patrick Scheible

On 2005-05-20, John A Stovall wrote:

[...]

I wasn't that fond of undergraduates having their own, baby library to
play in anyway. Learning to use a large library is one of the
things they should be learning in college. It shouldn't be dumbed
down for them.

-- Patrick