Question on printing techniques

Old January 7th 05, 11:17 AM
burky

Default Question on printing techniques

Hi,
I know this is probably not the correct group but I'm sure someone
will be able to help (fawn!).
I have a print that I cannot determine the age. On close examinination
the print is made up of tiny dots in circular formation, radius about
0.5mm with a dot in the centre, the dots are of differing size. The
colours are split into diffenent, very distint areas. At the base of
the print is the printers name (Simpson Bell Edinburgh) which looks
like it was stamped on (no dots).
I have had no luck in finding any records on the printer.
Can anyone help!

Many Thanks
Andy
Old January 7th 05, 03:34 PM
Jon Meyers

"burky" wrote...
Hi,
I know this is probably not the correct group but I'm sure someone
will be able to help (fawn!).
I have a print that I cannot determine the age. On close examinination
the print is made up of tiny dots in circular formation, radius about
0.5mm with a dot in the centre, the dots are of differing size. The
colours are split into diffenent, very distint areas. At the base of
the print is the printers name (Simpson Bell Edinburgh) which looks
like it was stamped on (no dots).
I have had no luck in finding any records on the printer.

Googled up this item from a page for "Collectors of Scotch Whiskey":
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/collecto...or_sale_15.htm

"My father-in-law imported Grant's into Ohio and I think a few other States
in the 1960's and 1970's. My mother-in-law has a number of collector
decanters that she would like to sell. Among them are two Grant's decanters,
a Scottish man and woman. Both decanters are empty. They are about 12" tall
and very finely detailed. I think that they are probably hand painted. On
the bottom of each it reads: 'Grant's Figurine designed and adapted from a
Scottish R.R. McTan print. Courtesy of Simpson Bell Edinburgh June 1970'."

I know it's not much, but at least it's a date to start with.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old January 7th 05, 04:00 PM

Do you think this refers to the date of the decanter and not the print?

Old January 7th 05, 10:49 PM
Jon Meyers

wrote...
"Jon Meyers" wrote...
"burky" wrote...

I have a print that I cannot determine the age...

. .. At the base of
the print is the printers name (Simpson Bell Edinburgh)

... from a page for "Collectors of Scotch Whiskey":
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/collecto...or_sale_15.htm
"...the bottom of each it reads: 'Grant's Figurine designed and adapted

from a
Scottish R.R. McTan print. Courtesy of Simpson Bell Edinburgh June

1970'."

Do you think this refers to the date of the decanter and not the print?

Probably to the decanter, but it does mean that "Simpson Bell Edinburgh" was
in existence at that time to give permission.

As I said, it's not much to go on, but it is a place to start. You might
not be able to find what you are looking for online. A good library might
have some old business directories and other resources to help you track
this down.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

A further question on "The Little Prince" visualweasel Books 1 December 23rd 04 09:57 PM
rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
For sale: First edition, 80th printing... palmer.william Books 8 January 26th 04 03:52 PM
Question regarding value saj Books 5 January 19th 04 01:47 AM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM