Owners Eyes

Old February 1st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Owners Eyes

Greetings!

We've all heard the phrase "Ownership adds a point to the grade" or
variants thereof. I've always called that condition "owners eyes" and
I've felt that I suffer from that condition much than average.

Well, I made that statement to a friend of mine who collects quarters
after we disagreed on the grades on some of his coins. And a challenge
was formed.

We would pick 5 coins from each collection where we felt the
disagreement was caused by owners eyes and send them to PCGS and see
what they came back as. The first 5 coins are from my collection, the
next 5 from his.

Coin My Grade His Grade PCGS
------- --------------- --------------- ---------
1883 NC 5c PR65 PR64 PR64
1912-D 5c MS63 AU58 AU58 (Dammit)
1899 10c PR65 PR64 PR64CAM (huh)
1876 20c PR63 PR62 PR62
1899 25c PR64CAM PR63CAM PR64CAM

1893-S 25c AU55 MS63 AU55
1896-S 25c AU55 MS62 AU58
1913-S 25c AU58 MS64 AU55
1914-S 25c MS62 MS64 MS62
1923-S 25c MS64 MS66 MS64

Looks like owners eyes is worth about a point to me, somewhat more to
him. But we both did a much better job of grading the others
borderline coins!

Bruce (the 1913-S is a darn nice coin, no matter the grade!)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old February 1st 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:35:10 GMT, "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)"
is alleged to have written:
Greetings!

We've all heard the phrase "Ownership adds a point to the grade" or
variants thereof. I've always called that condition "owners eyes" and
I've felt that I suffer from that condition much than average.

Grrr......... much LESS than average

Bruce (proofread, THEN post)

Old February 1st 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

[...]

*********************************************** **

Do you suppose there is such a thing as "grader's eyes?" It seems to
me that the rule of thumb for a PCGS grader is "If you are going to
misgrade, make sure it is an undergrade, not an overgrade." It would
make sense with their business model to appear to be the most
conservative TPG, encouraging resubmissions thus generating more
revenue, and absolutely minimizing any payouts due to overgrades.
It all fits together for me.
Aram.

Old February 1st 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:32:58 -0800, Aram H. Haroutunian
is alleged to have written:

************************************************ *

Do you suppose there is such a thing as "grader's eyes?" It seems to
me that the rule of thumb for a PCGS grader is "If you are going to
misgrade, make sure it is an undergrade, not an overgrade." It would
make sense with their business model to appear to be the most
conservative TPG, encouraging resubmissions thus generating more
revenue, and absolutely minimizing any payouts due to overgrades.
It all fits together for me.
Aram.

Don't worry about the black helicopters, citizen. They're there for
YOUR protection!

Bruce (Anyone who reveals PCGS business model vanishes)

Old February 1st 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In dog breeding there is a corresponding "owners eyes" term known as
"Kennel Blindness". Try to remember that you aren't dealing with black
and white observations but rather of opinions. Grading is an art and
not a science.

1) Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, and they all stink.
2) Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
3) When I want your opinion, I will give it to you.

Buy a coin from a large dealer, and then some time later, sell it back.
Good luck getting the same grade! IMHO

CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM