Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

Old March 16th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

IIRC, wasn't that the one where you had to jack the thing up and remove a
front wheel just to get at one of the plugs-- back in those ancient times
when people actually changed spark plugs, and by themselves no less?

I believe you are thinking of the V8 versions of the Chevy Monza. That car
was based on the Vega and was originally designed for a Wankel Rotary.

Between the gas crisis and anti-smog controls, the mid-1970's was not a
good time for gearheads. I think the Monza still holds the record for
getting the least horsepower out of those V8's. The 4.3L V8 eeked out
110. The 5.7L managed 125, and the later 5.0L pumped out a mighty
140.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Don't succumb to the false authority of a tool or model. There

Old March 16th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

IIRC, wasn't that the one where you had to jack the thing up and remove a
front wheel just to get at one of the plugs-- back in those ancient times
when people actually changed spark plugs, and by themselves no less?

I believe you are thinking of the V8 versions of the Chevy Monza. That car
was based on the Vega and was originally designed for a Wankel Rotary.

Between the gas crisis and anti-smog controls, the mid-1970's was not a
good time for gearheads. I think the Monza still holds the record for
getting the least horsepower out of those V8's. The 4.3L V8 eeked out
110. The 5.7L managed 125, and the later 5.0L pumped out a mighty
140.

My Vega had a surprisingly peppy 4 banger which was hooked up to the optional 4
speed manual tranny (3 speed was standard). (I believe the automatic offered was
the ancient 2 speed Powerglide but I could be wrong)
The Vega was an easy car to work on. Oil changes, tuneups and such were no
problem at all.
The problem with the Vega was the aluminum engine block and head gasket
problems.
If only they would have used a cast iron block or cylinder sleeves, the Vega
would be more fondly remembered today.
IMO, the Vega wagon (which I owned) was the most attractive model offered.

Old March 16th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I definitly prefer their "developed" products....but I liked the print
that came with it. Sure, if they did some new medals..or a poker set
featuring replica Morgan Dollars as the playing chips...that would be
excellent. With Postal Commemorative Society...when they issue real
coins in cachets...if I like the cachet or panel..then I will get it.
Old March 16th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

IIRC, wasn't that the one where you had to jack the thing up and remove a
front wheel just to get at one of the plugs-- back in those ancient times
when people actually changed spark plugs, and by themselves no less?

I believe you are thinking of the V8 versions of the Chevy Monza. That
car
was based on the Vega and was originally designed for a Wankel Rotary.

Between the gas crisis and anti-smog controls, the mid-1970's was not a
good time for gearheads. I think the Monza still holds the record for
getting the least horsepower out of those V8's. The 4.3L V8 eeked out
110. The 5.7L managed 125, and the later 5.0L pumped out a mighty
140.

Ahhh. That's the one. I remember it now. Another Chevy I'd prefer stay off
my driveway.

Old March 17th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

[...]

Pontiac had their own version of the Vega, the Astre, which was a better car
with more options and a better engine.
I haven't seen a Vega on the street for a good many years now but one of the
locals has a Cosworth Vega that he brings out for parades and the annual local
car show.

Old March 17th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

The Cosworth is pretty rare today, but still was a pretty much underpowered
bust at the time. Olds had the Starfire and Buick had the Skyhawk, both
apparently kin to the Vega and Astre. Lots of failed experiments in those
1970's.

Old March 17th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"Scurvy Dog" wrote in message

[...]

Wikipedia has some info on H platform GM cars of the 70s:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_H_platform_(RWD)

Old March 17th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:49:07 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

[...]

They all end up like this:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...6_cyRRu-XL.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 17th 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Thought I would share a few pics of FM at its best....only a few
examples out of many. These are all post 1998. All exclusive design
and production. Hope the pics work. The postal cover with the ship
medal is 1.5 ounces of 24kt gold...sold in Japan around 2000. The
last is Rodin's Balzac from the Rodin series. Spectacular high
relief...full die capture..no weakly struck areas. The days of these
medals are long gone.

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMBattleoftheGladiator2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMJPN2000Holland400th24ktGoldPNC-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMJPN2000Holland400th24ktGoldPNC-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMJPN2005ChinaMythCOR-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMJPN2007CharlieChaplin30thCOR24ktG.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMJPN2009ImperialWedding50thPNC-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMRodinSilverArtMedals-Balzac.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 17th 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I guess the pics didn't work. Each is a link to the whole album..but
the order is still there. Check em out.