Peace, Morgan & Franklin,s

Old October 7th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Peace, Morgan & Franklin,s

I have a collection of Peace, Morgan & Franklins that I puchased from
an Omaha, Ne dealer during the 60,s & 70,s. All of the coins were
graded and placed in holders (by the dealer) as ch bu, gem bu, superb
gem bu or proof-like. A percentage of the Peace & Morgans have
appreciated significantly.
I am looking for advice on how to market these coins? Should I submit
the more expensive coins to PCGS and have them professionally graded?
Here is a list of coins I am considering sending to PCGS:
1879 O Morgan GEM BU
1885 S Morgan GEM BU
1890 O Morgan GEM BU
1904 O Morgan PROOF-LIKE
1922 D PEACE GEM BU
1925S PEACE SUPERB GEM BU
1927 PEACE GEM BU
1935 PEACE GEM BU

Old October 7th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Oct 6, 8:47?pm, wrote:
I have a collection of Peace, Morgan & Franklins that I puchased from
an Omaha, Ne dealer during the 60,s & 70,s. All of the coins were
graded and placed in holders (by the dealer) as ch bu, gem bu, superb
gem bu or proof-like. A percentage of the Peace & Morgans have
appreciated significantly.
I am looking for advice on how to market these coins? Should I submit
the more expensive coins to PCGS and have them professionally graded?
Here is a list of coins I am considering sending to PCGS:
1879 O Morgan GEM BU
1885 S Morgan GEM BU
1890 O Morgan GEM BU
1904 O Morgan PROOF-LIKE
1922 D PEACE GEM BU
1925S PEACE SUPERB GEM BU
1927 PEACE GEM BU
1935 PEACE GEM BU

I'll ASSume GEM BU means MS-60 and SUPERB GEM BU means MS-63.
According to the PCGS Price Guide your coins are potentially worth:

1879-O Morgan (MS-60) - $72
1885-S Morgan (MS-60) - $150
1890-O Morgan (MS-60) - $58
1904-O Morgan (MS-60 PL) - $35
1922-D Peace (MS-60) - $20
1925-S Peace (MS-63) - $185
1927 Peace (MS-60) - $75
1935 Peace (MS-60) - $62

Again, this ASSumes legitimate grading using the standards back then.
If any of the coins are cleaned or damaged, their value will be less.
Keep in mind that there are no equivalent grades for Gem BU being
MS-60, MS-63 or whatever.

Should you submit them for grading? That's entirely your choice.

Jerry

Old October 8th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Oct 6, 10:48 pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Oct 6, 8:47?pm, wrote:

[...]

Jerry- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the input Jerry. Some of the coins purchased from the same
dealer are designated as CHOICE BU which I assume to be the same as
MS60. Would this be right or wrong?
..

Old October 8th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

I always thought GEM BU was MS65 or better.I've seen "Proof-Like" on every
uncirculated grade usually shown as MS 60 P/L or MS64 PL as examples.

ups.com...

Old October 10th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Oct 8, 1:26?pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
I always thought GEM BU was MS65 or better.I've seen "Proof-Like" on every
uncirculated grade usually shown as MS 60 P/L or MS64 PL as examples.

I used MS-60 and MS-63 as conservative grades for the terms. A while
ago I read, somewhere, that the grade "equivalents" we

BU - MS-60
Choice BU - MS-63
Gem BU - MS-65
Superb Gem BU (or some such nonsense) - MS-67

The ANA Grading Standards, 6th edition, doesn't address verbal grades
specifically, but does mention

Typical - MS-60 or so
Choice - MS-63 / 64
Gem - MS-65 or higher

They mention "select" which, when taken in context, would grade
MS-61 / 62.

PL (prooflike) is defined as "An uncirculated coin with a mirrorlike
reflective surface but lacking the full characteristics of a Proof."

Now, everyone run out to your local Barnes and Noble or Borders and
pick one up. :-)

Jerry