Whizzing

Old October 2nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

Default Whizzing

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
oups.com...

I spent quite a bit of time Googling to find the flame temperature of
a match without much success.

Here's one source I have no particular reason to doubt:
http://www.derose.net/steve/resource...flametemp.html

After all, it's on the 'net - it must be true.

I did find one source that claimed 2000
degrees C which would certainly exceed the melting point of coin
silver.

Careful - thet's probably the colour temperature, in deg K, not the flame
temp, in deg C.

2000C is hotter than a propane/air torch. What sort of matches do you
'merkins use, anyway? :-o

--
Jeff R.

Old October 2nd 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

Who-o-o-o-a!

OTOH:

http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/page1.php?QNum=992

1700C-2000C (to save you the click)

Do I really have to and drag out my pyrometer?

--
Jeff R.

Old October 2nd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Jeff R." wrote in message

Without wishing to be too tedious on this point, this chap quotes the "North
American Combustion handbook" as giving 700C for a wooden match.

http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discu...tml?1171404046

hehe.
Its a pipe-smoking forum.

--
Jeff R.
(stick *that* in your pipe and smoke it)

Old October 2nd 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

Jeff R. wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message

Without wishing to be too tedious on this point, this chap quotes the "North
American Combustion handbook" as giving 700C for a wooden match.

http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discu...tml?1171404046

But see: http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html
which seems pretty authoritative and give 1400 C
for the peak temperature of a candle flame.

I'm not sure of the relation between colour temperature
and physical temperature in flames, (In incandescent
light filaments they are the same for all practical
purposes), but the color temperature of a British Standard
Candle is 1930 K.

Peter.

Old October 2nd 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 04:30:18 +0000 (UTC), Peter Irwin
wrote:

Jeff R. wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message

Without wishing to be too tedious on this point, this chap quotes the "North
American Combustion handbook" as giving 700C for a wooden match.

http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discu...tml?1171404046

But see: http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html
which seems pretty authoritative and give 1400 C
for the peak temperature of a candle flame.

I'm not sure of the relation between colour temperature
and physical temperature in flames, (In incandescent
light filaments they are the same for all practical
purposes), but the color temperature of a British Standard
Candle is 1930 K.

That's the light output temperature using the thermometric scale
developed by William Thomson, the First Baron Kelvin. A candle has a
color temperature of 1850K and daylight is 6500K. Daylight is
sunlight, and I think we can safely assume that the physical
temperature of the sun is a wee bit warmer than something over three
times that of a candle.

Anyone who works with photography deals with color temperature. It's
why we set our color balance according to the illumination source.

I don't know why British candles have a higher color temperature than
American candles. Must be the exchange rate. I suppose Canadian
candles are about par with Americans one or just slightly higher now.

There are many website explanations of color temperature.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old October 2nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Jeff R. wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote in message

Without wishing to be too tedious on this point, this chap quotes the
"North
American Combustion handbook" as giving 700C for a wooden match.

http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discu...tml?1171404046

But see: http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html
which seems pretty authoritative and give 1400 C
for the peak temperature of a candle flame.

OK.
I just dragged out the digital pyrometer.

I tried a candle first. Got it up to 733C before it stabilised. Couldn't
persuade it to go any higher than that. Tremendous buildup of soot.

Next I tried a match.
Couldn't get it past 350C before the flame burnt down to my finger.
Obviously its hotter than that, but a match is only so-o-o-o big.

I'm comfortable with my first assessment: 700-800C

--
Jeff R.

Old October 2nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Don Boudreau" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:06:36 +1000, "Jeff R." wrote:

Jeff...thanks for filling in the blanks for James. This was my mental
vision as
to what was happening but couldn't come up with a way to express it at a
late
night hour for me.
Sintering...interesting. Back in the '70s I used sintered stainless steel
in
various porosities to introduce a highly volatile gas into a high pressure
polymerization media. The purpose was to disperse the gas in very fine
bubbles,
thus increasing its surface area.

Don

I think I used to do that in my bathtub as a kid, and my mom would giggle.

Bruce

Old October 2nd 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Oct 2, 7:41 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Don Boudreau" wrote in message

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:06:36 +1000, "Jeff R." wrote:

Jeff...thanks for filling in the blanks for James. This was my mental
vision as
to what was happening but couldn't come up with a way to express it at a
late
night hour for me.
Sintering...interesting. Back in the '70s I used sintered stainless steel
in
various porosities to introduce a highly volatile gas into a high pressure
polymerization media. The purpose was to disperse the gas in very fine
bubbles,
thus increasing its surface area.

Don

I think I used to do that in my bathtub as a kid, and my mom would giggle.

Aww c'mon - you know you still do it!

Old October 2nd 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article . com, RF wrote:
On Oct 2, 7:41 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Don Boudreau" wrote in message

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:06:36 +1000, "Jeff R." wrote:

Jeff...thanks for filling in the blanks for James. This was my mental
vision as
to what was happening but couldn't come up with a way to express it at a
late
night hour for me.
Sintering...interesting. Back in the '70s I used sintered stainless steel
in
various porosities to introduce a highly volatile gas into a high pressure
polymerization media. The purpose was to disperse the gas in very fine
bubbles,
thus increasing its surface area.

Don

I think I used to do that in my bathtub as a kid, and my mom would giggle.

Aww c'mon - you know you still do it!

and if you bite them, you fit the classic definition of a dork.
Old October 2nd 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Sep 30, 5:39?pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

I actually picked up recently a1914-D Lincoln cent that had
been tooled from a 1944-D Lincoln cent, to study the process, which I
know has happened with the coin types you mention as well as many
others.

On August 11th Reid Goldsborough wrote:

"Because of the relatively high visibility of my addressing this
issue
here, through my Web sites, and in print, I've personally chosen the
course of collecting, as far as counterfeits go, only those of coins
that aren't legal tender in the U.S., that is, ancient coins, which
are my main focus anyway, though I can see the appeal of becoming
expert in counterfeits of U.S. coins by among other things studying
them up close over time."

Oooops!