Help ID 1863 Washington token. Details inside, plus link to scans

Old September 20th 04, 07:54 AM
DVDHelp.us

Default Help ID 1863 Washington token. Details inside, plus link to scans

Hi folks -

I was wondering if any of you might know anything about this particular
coin (token?), as I can't find a thing. Granted, I don't know a thing
about coins, but Google couldn't get it. Got a lot of "right front, wrong
back" type of leads, but eventually came up empty-handed.

My scans, front and rear:
http://www.dvdhelp.us/graphics/coinfront.gif
http://www.dvdhelp.us/graphics/coinback.gif

Front: Washington head, facing right, 6 starts left, 7 stars right
Rear: "UNION FOR EVER" (on three lines), inside a wreath. (The back
didn't scan the words very well, but it's definitely "UNION FOR EVER")

The best I could come up with was a reference to somebody combining a
front of one die with a rear of another (ultimately coming up with this
particular combination), but I can't find anything else.

The information below came from:
http://www.coins.nd.edu/WashToken/Wa...atriotic1.html

The information was in regards to the following similar coin:

************************************
Fuld 111-340 (1863)
[...]
Comments: The obverse displays an undraped bust right portrait of
Washington with six stars to the left and seven stars to the right.
According to Rulau's first edition of the Standard Catalog (see p. 377),
this obverse was also combined with patriotic die 271 (also known as
storecard die 1246) which contains the legend UNION / FOR / EVER within a
wreath.
************************************

Any guesses on its worth? I'm guessing that it's fairly valuable if for
no other reason that the fact that I couldn't find a single picture of
this particular front/back combination (and I'm no rookie to Google).

--
Jake

http://www.DVDHelp.us (Best place for video help)
http://www.SlayersFan.com (funny anime series)
http://www.JakesJokes.com (jokes, etc.)
http://www.google.com (everything else)
Old September 20th 04, 11:54 AM
James Higby

Your piece is properly called a Patriotic Civil War Token. It is listed in
the book by the same name, written by George and Melvin Fuld. The 111-340
refers to obverse die paired with reverse die 340 as catalogued and
illustrated by them. It is listed as an R-3 (500 to 2000 in existence) and
priced at $15 in F/VF.

Pieces of this and literally hundreds of other designs were ordered by
merchants, patriotic groups, and private citizens to facilitate the making
of change during the Civil War, when federal coins were being hoarded. It
finally got to the point where the government declared them illegal and they
were withdrawn from circulation by whoever got stuck with them.

Old September 20th 04, 06:14 PM
DVDHelp.us

On 20 Sep 2004, "James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]yahoo[dot]com coughed,
sneezed, and farted all at once, and then said the following, as shown
in :

Your piece is properly called a Patriotic Civil War Token. It is
listed in the book by the same name, written by George and Melvin
Fuld. The 111-340 refers to obverse die paired with reverse die 340
as catalogued and illustrated by them. It is listed as an R-3 (500 to
2000 in existence) and priced at $15 in F/VF.

Thank you very much.

--
Jake

http://www.DVDHelp.us (Best place for video help)
http://www.SlayersFan.com (funny anime series)
http://www.JakesJokes.com (jokes, etc.)
http://www.google.com (everything else)

CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM