question for 8 track folks:

Old March 22nd 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default question for 8 track folks:

BS, Boob... I got my Akai M8 for $10

and my Akai 1800 SD for $100 from the original owner- mint condition

next question...

Old March 22nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

I like to sit back and watch you gather them all up and repost them,
like a squirrel gathering the same empty nutshells again and again...

(laughter...)

Old March 22nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

a mighty **** better than your account status- oh, that's right- you
don't have one anymore, do you ??

no wonder the marketplace is so cheerful lately- you're history !

(GUFFAW !)

Old March 23rd 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

duty-honor-country wrote:
you hit the nail- for years I've been getting lots of 300-400 tapes
from the local thrifties for 20 cents each. The flea markets are
better yet, where you can buy an entire stand out for a dime a tape.

Why pay $15-25 per CD at Walmart or Best Buy ? The 8-tracks actually
sound BETTER, through a high end tube amp and player.

That's the problem- people have stuck in their head that 8-tracks
"should" sound bad. The reason being, back in the day the splices
always broke.

They really don't sound bad at all. Run a player through a good stereo
and they sound great.
Old March 23rd 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:07:04 GMT, Scott Irvine
wrote:

They really don't sound bad at all. Run a player through a good stereo
and they sound great. snip

They sound OK, not "great." There's the issue of noise floor (-45 dB
for most prerecorded 8 tracks vs. over -90 dB for CD-A), and the
issues of distortion and truncated frequency response. They're
"mid-fi" at best. I think I have two 8 tracks in all my collection
that are almost indistinguishable from the LPs as far as frequency
bandwidth goes, and the tape noise is unmistakably louder on 8 track.
Old March 24th 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

They really don't sound bad at all. Run a player through a good stereo and
they sound great.

I had a guy over one night who eats up whatever new audio
format shows up and badmouths past formats. I sat him in my music room and
played music from cassettes, 8 track, vinyl, and cds. He identified the
vinyl correctly (pop, pop). He thought the cassette was 8 track. He thought
the 8 track was a cd. He identified the cd as a cd. But.....he admitted they
all sounded just fine. He was only familiar with the tailend of the 8 track
format and only in car stereos, and was impressed with the way a decent
system sounded in 8 track. I was just glad that during the demonstration the
8 didn't hiccup and gobble the tape!

Old March 24th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

it's amazing how good the 8's do sound

Old March 24th 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:13:36 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

They really don't sound bad at all. Run a player through a good stereo and
they sound great.

I had a guy over one night who eats up whatever new audio
format shows up and badmouths past formats. I sat him in my music room and
played music from cassettes, 8 track, vinyl, and cds. He identified the
vinyl correctly (pop, pop). He thought the cassette was 8 track. He thought
the 8 track was a cd. snip

He's either got bananas in his ears, or needs to get out more.
Old March 24th 06, 04:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On 23 Mar 2006 19:15:57 -0800, "duty-honor-country"
wrote:

it's amazing how good the 8's do sound snip

It's amazing they work at ALL....dickwad.
Old March 24th 06, 07:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

wrote:

it's amazing how good the 8's do sound snip

It's amazing they work at ALL....dickwad.

What's up with the name calling?