Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Old September 29th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
J[_2_]

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANTUPDATE)

Talk about "thread drift"...
Old September 29th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 28, 5:22*pm, "Stanley Moore" wrote:

By the way you shouldn't diss Sam Houston the great Texas hero.

Yeah, yeah. He was such a tubular sandwich.

Old September 29th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Joan in GB-W

"J" wrote in message
Talk about "thread drift"...

Yep. RAM is famous for thread drift.

Joan

Old September 29th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Walter Bushell

In article ,
"Stanley Moore" wrote:

I am in Houston which I agree is "South" and Texas was part of the
Confederacy so by definition is South. Dallas on the other hand thinks it is
western but it lies to the east of the real West. In reality the next city
to the west of Dallas is Fort Worth which is the site of a army fort founded
in 1849, one of a series to mark the western frontier. Fort Worth (where I
was born) sometimes styles itself "Where the West Begins". So Dallas
shouldn't call itself :western". Take care

Do the eastern and western sections of Fort Worth dispute at which
north--south street the border to the West lies?

--
A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
Old September 30th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Evelyn Leeper

J wrote:
Talk about "thread drift"...

Which also means I have to read all this stuff in case someone actually
has a useful update....

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods
Old September 30th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

On Sep 29, 9:55*pm, Evelyn Leeper wrote:
J wrote:
Talk about "thread drift"...

Which also means I have to read all this stuff in case someone actually
has a useful update....

Much of your Dallas / Ft Worth stuff is out of date, e.g.,
references to a bookstore called Bookstop, which
was the original name of some B&N stores
years ago. Dallas is also not well served by used
bookstores a theme which I have already harped on
enough.

Nevertheless, in order to help you, I will check each
entry in your list for stores in Dallas confirming
either by telephone or by personal visit, and
report back here within one week. Promise!

Old September 30th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Richard D. Latham

Walter Bushell writes:

In article ,
"Stanley Moore" wrote:

I am in Houston which I agree is "South" and Texas was part of the
Confederacy so by definition is South. Dallas on the other hand thinks it is
western but it lies to the east of the real West. In reality the next city
to the west of Dallas is Fort Worth which is the site of a army fort founded
in 1849, one of a series to mark the western frontier. Fort Worth (where I
was born) sometimes styles itself "Where the West Begins". So Dallas
shouldn't call itself :western". Take care

Do the eastern and western sections of Fort Worth dispute at which
north--south street the border to the West lies?

Good question.

The Stockyards are on the east side of Main Street, and most of the
(remaining) bars are on the west side.

I say "Main Street" is the dividing line. :-)

Hey, maps.google.com agress with me ... All the east-west streets
change names when they cross Main :-)

--
#include disclaimer.std /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
/* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
Old October 1st 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
J[_2_]

On Sep 29, 10:55�pm, Evelyn Leeper wrote:
J wrote:
Talk about "thread drift"...

Which also means I have to read all this stuff in case someone actually
has a useful update....

--
Evelyn C. Leeper

I'm going to Seattle next week. If I have any useful corrections, I
will send them to you privately, as I have done in the past.

Thanks again for your hard work in producing these lists, even if they
*are* out of date almost before the cyber-ink is dry...
Old October 1st 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Mark Zenier

J wrote:
Talk about "thread drift"...

Which also means I have to read all this stuff in case someone actually
has a useful update....

--
Evelyn C. Leeper

I'm going to Seattle next week. If I have any useful corrections, I
will send them to you privately, as I have done in the past.

Thanks again for your hard work in producing these lists, even if they
*are* out of date almost before the cyber-ink is dry...

Minor Seattle update.

Gemini Book Exchange is long gone.

Flora and Fauna are not in the recent phone book; ;=(

Archie McPhee ran afoul of the real estate monster in Ballard
and moved back to Wallingford (about 6 blocks up Stone Way from
their previous previous location).

Pegasus and Leisure were still there on Tuesday. ;-) (West Seattle)
Page 2 in Burien, as of a month or so ago.

Worth adding is Abraxus Books, 5711 24th Ave NW, in Ballard. They built
a new branch library in Ballard (along with about a dozen others on a
big bond issue) and the 1970's vintage not so old library is now a used
book store. Average for Science Fiction, but the Philosophy section
is impressive.

There's at least one more used bookstore in Ballard, too,
(Epilogue Books?) that I've not been to yet.

Mark Zenier

Old October 1st 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Dave Garrett

In article , smoore20
@comcast.net says...

I am in Houston which I agree is "South" and Texas was part of the
Confederacy so by definition is South. Dallas on the other hand thinks it is
western but it lies to the east of the real West. In reality the next city
to the west of Dallas is Fort Worth which is the site of a army fort founded
in 1849, one of a series to mark the western frontier. Fort Worth (where I
was born) sometimes styles itself "Where the West Begins". So Dallas
shouldn't call itself :western". Take care

All native Houstonians know that Dallas is in fact a wretched hive of
scum and villainy located so far to the north that it may very well be
populated almost exclusively by Yankees.

;-)

Dave