Some neat books this weekend

Old February 24th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Some neat books this weekend

Saturday I went to my regular monthly book sale, though to
call it that understates what it really is. It started four
years ago this spring, and we regulars - a dozen or a few
more - all get email notice (that was my contribution) of
which Saturday the next one will be on and what the range of
books are. We arrive about 8:15 AM, and Tom Gulotta, the
dealer who is also a semi-retired psychology professor, has
coffee and donuts waiting outside the barn doors. Most of
the people there are retail book dealers and some just
collectors like myself. We know each other and each other's
backgrounds, and talk until Tom has checked that all those
he is expecting have arrived, and then he opens the doors
about 8:30. He usually has close to 1,000 books or so.
This time there were a lot of history books.

The feeding frenzy that follows in the next two minutes
bears a close resemblance to the activity of a school of
piranhas dealing with a bleeding animal unfortunate enough
to fall into their waters. We are polite and courteous to
each other, but intense at scanning and grabbing. After
about an hour, the vast majority of the books are gone.

Almost immediately, I saw a copy of the Journal of Antonio
Pigafetta. This may not have meant anything to anyone else
there, but a year ago I had read *Over the Edge of the
World* by Lawrence Bergreen, a history of Magellan's
circumnavigation of the globe, and I recalled that one of
the two primary sources was the Pigafetta journal, a book I
never really expected to find. So I quickly took it. When
I got home I found that it was a beautiful volume, with
blind stamped decorative cover, high quality paper, and the
original French pages from 1525 reprinted on the left side
with an English translation on the right.

Also early on I found *An Introduction to the History of
Japan* by Katsuro Hara (1920, Putnam). When I got home I
noticed that it was inscribed "To Dr. Beard with author's
compliments - Katsuro Hara". I was intrigued and guessed
that the "Dr. Beard" might well be the famous historian,
Charles Beard, in which case, this book came from his
private collection. And since another volume I had picked
up was *The Industrial Revolution* by Charles Beard (1918,
Allen and Unwin - the British publishing house), I next
looked at that. On the front free end paper there was glued
a slip of paper reading "With compliments of Stanley Unwin"
(the publisher) and a penciled notation that this was from
the library of Charles Beard, so I had acquired Beard's copy
of his own book. Next I did some internet research and
found that Charles Beard had gone to Tokyo in 1923 after a
major earthquake to study the response of the public
administration there, and at the end of the year he
published a book on the subject. So it is likely that that
trip gave rise to the occasion on which he received the copy
of the Katsuro book.

After five or ten minutes dedicated to book hunting, the
pace slackens and we begin to discuss book related matters
from upcoming auctions, to who bought what for what price,
etc. Current affairs, of course, always comes up as does
the particular activities of various attendees - so-and-so
was back from a trip to Ireland, while another is planning
to go to Germany.

The other books I found are comparable in interest to me,
but lack the associations that the above have.

--
Francis A. Miniter

ως ουκ αν αιων' εκμαθοις βροτων, πριν αν
θανη τις, ουτε ει χρηστος ουτ’ ει τω κακος.
Old February 24th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Jr@Ease

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary, While Francis A. Miniter Pondered, Weak
and Weary, Over Many a Quaint and Curious Forgotten Post, s/he wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a lot of fun. I know when I'm out looking for
mysteries, and I happen to run into a signed F/F for a buck, or
something comparable, it's exciting. Finding the kind and quality of
books you found, with such interesting provenance, must be more than
thrilling.

I recognize Charles Beard from my college days (my BA was in history).
I may even have a book or two of his around here.

Congrats!

Where does this book sale take place, or is it a secret?

John P
Old February 24th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Joan in GB-W

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
[...]

Am I the only one who thinks Pigafetta is a cheese?

Joan

Old February 24th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Jr@Ease wrote:
Once Upon a Midnight Dreary, While Francis A. Miniter Pondered, Weak
and Weary, Over Many a Quaint and Curious Forgotten Post, s/he wrote:
Saturday I went to my regular monthly book sale,

Congrats!

Where does this book sale take place, or is it a secret?

John P

It is held at Tom's place on Keeney Street, Glastonbury,
Connecticut. To get on his email notice list, send him an
email at .

Old February 25th 09, 11:35 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Eden Rabatsch

[...]

Hi Francis,

Longtime lurker. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read a post
about buying, collecting, the love of book no matter really what the actual
books are now that this newsgroup is so dead.

Thanks for all the posts

Eden
Sydney, Australia

Old February 25th 09, 04:02 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Joan in GB-W

"Eden Rabatsch" wrote in message

Hi Francis,

Longtime lurker. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read a post
about buying, collecting, the love of book no matter really what the
actual books are now that this newsgroup is so dead.

Thanks for all the posts

Eden
Sydney, Australia

This newsgroup is dead! Wow, I didn't know that. I open this site every
morning and a couple of other times during the day and have yet to see the
obituary. In normal conversation, people talk about various things that
strike their fancy. We call that conversation. We have been good friends
here for many a year and with friends you like to talk about different
things. It's true we drift from mysteries on occasion (oh, well, on many
occasions) but that is what we do. If you like to talk bout mysteries,
start a thread. And, simply skip the threads marked OT. That seems easy
enough to do, doesn't it.

That being said,
Just finished "High Seas Murder" and "A Merry Little Murder," both by
Shelley Freydont. They are cozies that feature Lindy Haggerty, rehearsal
director for a dance company, and I liked them both, but I have had enough
cozies for a time now.

I started "The Religion" by Tim Willocks mentioned by Janet and at 124 pages
in I can only say WOW. I have read more violence in those 124 pages that I
have read in the last year, certainly more cruel violence.

Here is a line from page 122. The year is 1565 and the characters are on a
boat and you know how boats were propelled in those days.
"On the open rowing deck below, slaves chained five to a bench bent over the
looms. They shat and ****ed where they sat, on sheepskins still sodden with
the filth of the day before." Powerful stuff, that. The people on deck
stuffed tobacco up their noses to avoid the stench. What you don't learn in
books...

Joan

Old February 25th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Joan in GB-W wrote:

"Eden Rabatsch" wrote in message

Hi Francis,

Longtime lurker. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read a
post about buying, collecting, the love of book no matter really what
the actual books are now that this newsgroup is so dead.

Thanks for all the posts

Eden
Sydney, Australia

This newsgroup is dead! Wow, I didn't know that.

Eden is talking about rec.collecting.books, to which I
cross-posted it. Sorry.

Old February 25th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Joan in GB-W

Joan in GB-W wrote:

"Eden Rabatsch" wrote in message

Hi Francis,

Longtime lurker. I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read a
post about buying, collecting, the love of book no matter really what
the actual books are now that this newsgroup is so dead.

Thanks for all the posts

Eden
Sydney, Australia

This newsgroup is dead! Wow, I didn't know that.

Eden is talking about rec.collecting.books, to which I cross-posted it.
Sorry.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Then I apologize to Eden for my quick reply.

Joan

Old February 26th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Willow

I envy you. Having sales like that or the other sales you have
mentioned.

But still, to get those sales one has to live in "the East". I
suppose it is a matter of balance. Perhaps the Mid-West might offer
the best of both worlds?

Seriously, out here were have two annual sales. One is for the
Library, the other for the Symphony. Large, yes - but the chances of
finding anything published before 1985 or by any of the non-standard
publishers is remote indeed.

Ah well, time to go out and smell the roses. Nope - frozen. Okay,
the fresh snow. Nope - an inversion and polltion. Hmmmm.

Willlow
Old February 26th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.arts.mystery,rec.collecting.books
Willow

Yes, "The Religion" is indeed rather bloody. Willocks is a
psychiatrist who once dated Madonna, we are told. A good read but I
do have to wonder about the movie- like addition of the young boy.
Rather like the addition of children to each of Michael Crichton's
"Jurrasic Park" movies. It seemed like the young lad was added to
make the book appeal to a larger demographic, not to enhance the
story. The blood and gore go with that type of appeal.

"The Religion" was to be the first of a trilogy but my sense is that
it did not do well enough to merit further development. Speaking of
which, has the Dan Brown book on the Knights Templar gone the way of
the wild goose (and anyone old enough to remember that as a song gets
ten points! Naming tghe singer gets you ten more).

Willow