flat signed

Old January 25th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_5_]

Default flat signed

A Tennessee company is suing Don Imus for $4 million after the radio host
allegedly disparaged the firm last year while reading its commercials on his
show. FlatSigned Press alleges that Imus made snide comments about the
company as he read spots advertising its sale of copies of the Warren
Commission report signed by President Gerald Ford, a member of the
government panel that investigated the John F. Kennedy assassination. The
January 2007 radio spots aired one month after Ford's death. The timing of
the ads, it seems, prompted Imus to remark that FlatSigned--which sells
autographed and collectible books--were "*******s" who waited for Ford "to
croak so they could unload these." He then added, "Now that he's flat-lined,
you go to flatsigned.com." [Click here to listen to one of Imus's FlatSigned
spots.] Imus repeated similar sentiments in other live commercials,
remarking, "This has gotta be a joke." FlatSigned paid about $5000 for the
spots, which directed listeners to its web site, where the limited edition
Ford volume (which sold for upwards of $900) could be ordered. In its
January 23 New York State Supreme Court lawsuit, an excerpt of which you'll
find below, FlatSigned charges that it was damaged by Imus's refusal to read
its ad copy verbatim. In addition to Imus, the company is suing Infinity
Broadcasting, for whom Imus worked until last April, when he was fired for
making offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team. (6
pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...4081ford1.html

Old January 25th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"foad" wrote in message news:H7cmj.11689$YH6.5988@trndny03...
[...]

Oh, Goodie!

Now that means flatty will have to prove in court that his products *were*
disparaged. Hmmmm.....is he sure he wants to sue, or is this just
more publicity to unload those books?

Kris

Old January 25th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Jan 24, 10:35*pm, "Kris Baker" wrote:
[...]

Even if the case gets immediately tossed, he's gotten thousands of
dollars in free publicity. (Which is probably all he wanted in the
first place.)
Old February 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

It is dissapointing that people who don't even know me make such
incredible remarks about a fellow human being. Why not ask anyone for
information before publicly questioning their motives or ethics? All
people should be afforded this democratic right and I hope you agree.
This lawsuit is about Don Imus telling lies and not honoring his
contract with me. He also did the public a great disservice by
obviously not having read the book and saw that it had been made
available to the public for years, prior to the death of President
Ford. It is a violation of our moral code and our law that somewhat
makes false statements, damaging another, on the public air-waves that
are also owned by all Americas. Yes I want to sell books. President
Ford knew he was going to die; we all do. He selected this book to be
part of his legacy. Mr. Imus failed to act responsibly when he made
statements that were both breach of contract and false. What are you
doing that benefiting our world? That was my goal and now I am side
tracked because others did not act responsibly. I have always
answered questions when asked about any book I have ever published or
sold. I stand willing to answer your questions as long as you keep an
open mind and are willing to learn new information and act accordingly
and professionally.
Best,
Tim Miller

Old February 1st 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam[_2_]

http://www.bookthink.com/0053/53mil.htm

"Once anyone is educated, they all agree that FlatSigned is the best!
"

What percentage of people only want "flatsigned" books and would turn
up their nose at an inscribed copy? I prefer inscribed books
myself...yes, I'm truly ignorant in your eyes, but I do have a
tendency to think for myself. It matters not to me that someone else
had the book first!

While you go on and on about the "ease" and talents of today's forgers
(I won't argue that point), the bigger problem is in the nature of the
beast. If one looks at the signatures of some of today's novelists,
and didn't know whom it was supposed to be, one would have NO idea of
who they were, ie Robert Parker, John Sandford, Jonathan Kellerman,
etc. An inscription, regardless, is an insight into the person...and
coincidentally, more words that the forger would have to research.
For a high dollar signature, it might be worth the effort. But for
most of the popular living novelists, it would not be worth the time
(buy a first for $5 and sell same for $25?).

"So, if you have no interest in preserving value and are only thinking
of what makes just you feel good, then by all means have all your
books signed that way and see how fast your children throw them away
after you see Grisham and King in the hereafter."

This statement alone tells me all I need to know... money to you is
the ultimate reason to collect books.

Old February 1st 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Feb 1, 12:06*pm, Sam wrote:
http://www.bookthink.com/0053/53mil.htm

You make a number of good points. I have seen
many impressively inscribed books, and the
idea that they would somehow be better if they
had a mere signature instead of a thoughtful
inscription is absurd. I am referring to books
at least few decades old, I should add. I don't
have enough interest in a contemporary popular
fiction to give a hoot whether such books are
flatsigned or inscribed at considerable length.
(But if you have an inscribled Thomas Pynchon,
I might be interested!) When you are talking
about respected writers of earlier generations,
a good inscription adds so much. In my view,
a "good inscription" would mean it is by someone
with reasonably good handwriting (not an illegible
scrawl), is dated, and contains at least a bit of
interesting information. In many cases that might
mean the author is thanking someone in the book
publishing business for something, or is just referring
to shared experiences with a relative, friend, or
acquaintance. Just having an author sit down
in a publisher's office and sign a few thousand
copies of something (or, worse, have the
publisher mail a few thousand cards to the
author to be signed, returned, and inserted
in books) is not my idea of "value added."

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Old February 1st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Jan 24, 6:50*pm, "foad" wrote:

The whole thing is stupid. The idea of using Imus to
promote (what is supposed to be) a serious book
signed by a figure of some dignity is crazy. Sort
of like, "He who hires a jackass to promote a serious
book, should expect to be kicked in the backside."
(Something like that.) Nothing against Imus: for
many he is a somewhat entertaining jackass -- at
least to those who thinks humor is best provided by
crazy-looking old goats sitting in a chair grumbling
and mumbling insults -- when, to be fair, the talk
media abounds with pompous, boring jackasses,
after all.

Old February 1st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_5_]

"Bill" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 6:50 pm, "foad" wrote:

The whole thing is stupid. The idea of using Imus to
promote (what is supposed to be) a serious book
signed by a figure of some dignity is crazy. Sort
of like, "He who hires a jackass to promote a serious
book, should expect to be kicked in the backside."
(Something like that.) Nothing against Imus

Another subject about which Palmjob is ignorant, go figure. Imus sells more
books than anybody but Oprah.

Old February 1st 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Feb 1, 4:29*pm, "foad" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

On Jan 24, 6:50 pm, "foad" wrote:

The whole thing is stupid. * The idea of using Imus to
promote (what is supposed to be) a serious book
signed by a figure of some dignity is crazy. * Sort
of like, "He *who hires a jackass to *promote a serious
book, should expect to be kicked in the backside."
(Something like that.) * *Nothing against Imus

Another subject about which Palmjob is ignorant, go figure. Imus sells more
books than anybody but Oprah.

Flattie's case was mentioned in this week's edition of Time Magazine.
Guess he got his 15 minutes!
Old February 1st 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Carl

On Feb 1, 3:43 pm, Bill wrote:
On Feb 1, 12:06 pm, Sam wrote:

http://www.bookthink.com/0053/53mil.htm

You make a number of good points. I have seen
many impressively inscribed books, and the
idea that they would somehow be better if they
had a mere signature instead of a thoughtful
inscription is absurd. I am referring to books
at least few decades old, I should add.

I specialize in books on contract bridge, and my most valuable signed
copies are those dedicated (inscribed) by world championship players
to other equal-caliber or famous players. These are typically worth 25
to 50% more than a flat-signed copy.

You have to put this all in perspective though; contract bridge isn't
quite up there in name recognition as the Kings and Rowlings. Still,
the relative worth says something about the subject.

Carl

Very flat looking. note.boy Paper Money 0 April 11th 06 08:10 PM
1954 Flat Pack? Alan Bruns Coins 7 February 26th 06 02:22 PM
Flat or rotary with microscope? Jean-Pierre Sangin General Discussion 1 February 27th 05 10:35 AM
NOS Flat Packs! The Poodlebutt 8 Track Tapes 16 May 28th 04 12:30 PM
Parker Duofold, flat inkbag and more Kenneth Darling Soerensen Pens & Pencils 4 March 17th 04 10:16 AM