Advice sought by a rank beginner

Old May 22nd 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Advice sought by a rank beginner

Dave Rude wrote:

Hello,
Certainly not a brag, but I have about 500 books adorning my walls, and some
are quite old. Would someone suggest a "beginners" book on book collecting
or a good website to me please? I do fancy Jack Higgins, Robert Ludlum, and
if pressed for the whole truth, Ian Flemming. Ken Follet and Clive Cussler
are of interest as well. Thanks for any advice or help.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome aboard. Don't be shied away by the disfunctional ones, there
is plenty of really good help here.

I have accumulated a number of internet bookmarks of sites with helpful
information. I will try to cite here those that are still operating.

http://www.trussel.com/books/lucas02.htm [Robert Ff. Lucas: The
Essentials of Book Collecting - an essay]

http://www.sldirectory.com/mystery.html [Looking for a Mystery?]

http://www.bookaway.com/first_editions.htm [A Guide to First Editions]

http://used.addall.com/ [AddAll Used and Out of Print Book Search]
This is a very useful site for information about specific books.

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 22nd 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Dear Francis,

Very true..

The one with the problem is you [Fundoc and Bob]. That is clear from your
overwhelming obsession. In other posts you admit to being threatened by
her status. I suggest your obsession/fear of castration has deeper roots
than we can deal with in this newsgroup. Please take those concerns to a
qualified psychiatrist and reserve your comments here for matters relating
to books.

The topic on this list is book collecting, not gender issues or the sexual
problems of some members. As with children at play, those who throw stones
the most or hardest often have the deepist issues to resolve.

Perhaps the best way to learn books is to talk books - with other
collectors, dealers, and the sorts that hang around used bookstores. If
browsing in a used bookstore, invite others for coffee and learn. Not all
is to be believed - I know of one local type sho if believed would have
every modern first every published in a barn, in cardboard boxes.
Bookstores are remarkably easy places to "hang out".

Willow

Old May 23rd 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Parker Tate wrote:

Stop collecting worthless junk. Sell everything you have now and invest in
antiquarian and signed limited in fine bindings.

At least this is roughly on-topic. My own collecting is mainly
antiquarian, but I wonder what the long-term impact of digitalization
will be on library holdings. If they start to deaccession en masse,
antiquarian books could be in for a nosedive.

I'm with you on signed limited (though don't collect them myself); at
least they are near-impossible to forge, and the activities of
fraudsters have more or less guaranteed that signed firsts will
eventually prove shaky. But why fine bindings? I would have thought a
signed limited in its original binding was a far better bet than the
same rebound.

A shame that in your other posts you rank yourself among the little
coterie of flies that always gathers at the smell of fresh carrion.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old May 23rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Yes, I must. Where are your complaints about Willow's continuous
off-topic posts about his sexual mutilation?
"BobFinnan.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
Willow's just a sad man with severe mental problems.

I don't care whether Willow posts here, as long as it stays the hell away
from my neighborhood.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"fvndoc" wrote in message
"michael adams" wrote in message
How long can you go without shrieking out my name? I'm guessing not too
long. Must be embarassing while you're having sex. Or at least it would

be,
if there were anyone else there.

How do you know whether anyone else is there? Willow might be there for all
we know.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Show some basic respect for another
human being. where?
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
Show some basic respect for another
human being. where?

human being. That's a matter of opinion.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Stop collecting worthless junk. Sell everything you have now and invest in
antiquarian and signed limited in fine bindings.

news

Old May 23rd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

William Orobko pretending to be a thing named Pangarune Corner wrote:
The topic on this list is book collecting, not gender issues or the sexual
problems of some members.

Gee Bill - the thought of being "on-topic" has never stopped you from
infesting dozens of SRS and gender-related newsgroups and discussion
forums and attempting to force your weird views regarding the thrill
you received upon "feminization" sigh upon them.

As is evidenced by *this* website:

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/willow-arune.html

"Arune is well-known both on and off the internet as a prodigious kook.
Arune has probably been kicked off more email lists and out of more
transgender groups than any other transgenderist in North America.
Arune enjoys trolling and baiting people online "to get a quotable
quote," [4] which then gets used as evidence that Arune is being
attacked."

Old May 23rd 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Show some basic respect for another
human being. where?

human being. That's a matter of opinion.

You should be deeply ashamed to have such a statement recorded under your name
for posterity.

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 23rd 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

John,

Thank you..

"A shame that in your other posts you rank yourself among the little
coterie of flies that always gathers at the smell of fresh carrion."

From their behaviour, I would not wish the likes of some members here in any
neighbourhood, especially mine.

"Diane" who lofted in the other post, is one of those from another list who
stalks me about on the Internet. Not a pleasant person and one given to
lies. Some fools actually believe what she posts which speaks only to the
character of those who make that decision.

As to the matter to hand, book collecting takes many forms and many of us
are not able to pursue items like leather binding and the like. We make do -
and have the same amount of pleasure - from modern firsts and such. After
all, there is always the possibility that one might find a first/first of
"Postmortem" in a local garage sale even in the west or north.

Willow