How Many Men Have Become Books?

Old July 18th 05, 02:33 AM
Barbara Bailey

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:33:57 -0500, Jon Meyers
wrote:

William M. Klimon wrote:
Or, more specifically, how many authors have become eponyms for their
books--or perhaps a genre of books?

These come immediately to my mind:

Bartlett's (Quotations)
Webster's (Dictionary)
Fowler's (Modern English Usage)
Gray's (Anatomy)
Black's (Law Dictionary)
Roget's (Thesaurus)
Strunk & White (Elements of Style)

Prosser (on Torts)
Williston (on Contracts)
Corbin (on Contracts)
Nimmer (on Copyright)
etc.

Wing (Short Title Catalog)
Parsons (Early Catholic Americana)
etc.

Any other examples?

Baedeker
Funk & Wagnall's
Brewer's (Dictionary of Phrase & Fable)
Bulfinch's (Mythology)

And some examples one might debate--almost seem to fit, but perhaps not
quite:
Plutarch('s Lives)
Vasari('s Lives)
Bede('s History)
Aesop('s Fables)

--Jon Meyers

In the realm of costume reaseach, I'd say that
(Janet) Arnold
qualifies. And in heraldry there's

Fox-Davies, and
Von Volborth.

Old July 18th 05, 03:07 AM
Ted Eisenstein

Let's not forget the women:

Emily Post (on etiquette)
Mrs. Beeton (19th century cookery and household management)

Alban
Old July 18th 05, 03:16 AM
William M. Klimon

"fundoc" wrote in message

Or, more specifically, how many authors have become eponyms for their
books--or perhaps a genre of books?

Theo Bible

Or better, I would have thought:

King James (Bible)

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 18th 05, 03:25 AM
William M. Klimon

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message

Any other examples?

Gold stars for everyone.

I can discern a couple of different types--some have become true trademarks,
some are just shorthand when the title is too cumbersome, some are used when
an important author has only one really major work, etc.--hmm, there is the
makings of a thought piece here.

Since you've jogged my memory, how about:

Debrett's/Burke's (Peerages) [apparently, there were in the past many more
and even Burke's is gone now]
Bowers (Principles of Bibliographic Description)
Guinness (Book of Records) [I guess it's really the brewery, but what the
heck]
Cappelli (Latin abbreviations)
Nestle-Aland (definitive edition of the Greek New Testament)

Then there are plenty of genre specific bibliographies:

Wright (early American fiction)
Bleiler (science fiction)
etc.

and one of my favorites:

Pine-Coffin (English and American accounts of travel in Italy) [I assume the
Pines and the Coffins arranged a marriage and familial union sometime in the
18/c just to get one of the cooler names in English letters]

If no one objects, I say, keep 'em coming.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 18th 05, 03:27 AM
Jon Meyers

Ted Eisenstein wrote:
Let's not forget the women:

Emily Post (on etiquette)
Mrs. Beeton (19th century cookery and household management)

Fanny Farmer (Cookbook)

--Jon Meyers
Old July 18th 05, 03:30 AM
Jon Meyers

Jon Meyers wrote:

And some examples one might debate--almost seem to fit, but perhaps not
quite:
Plutarch('s Lives)
Vasari('s Lives)
Bede('s History)
Aesop('s Fables)

Butler's (Lives of the Saints)

--Jon Meyers
Old July 18th 05, 03:35 AM
Barbara Kaufman

Hoyle's

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
Or, more specifically, how many authors have become eponyms for their
books--or perhaps a genre of books?

These come immediately to my mind:

Bartlett's (Quotations)
Webster's (Dictionary)
Fowler's (Modern English Usage)
Gray's (Anatomy)
Black's (Law Dictionary)
Roget's (Thesaurus)
Strunk & White (Elements of Style)

Those are familiar examples. In the law, there are many, many treatises
that have taken on their author's names (even when, as above, the authors
are long dead):

Prosser (on Torts)
Williston (on Contracts)
Corbin (on Contracts)
Nimmer (on Copyright)
etc.

I guess for book collectors and bibliographers, we're used to referring to
important reference works by the author's name, as well:

Old July 18th 05, 03:36 AM
Jon Meyers

William M. Klimon wrote:

I can discern a couple of different types--some have become true trademarks,
some are just shorthand when the title is too cumbersome, some are used when
an important author has only one really major work, etc.--hmm, there is the
makings of a thought piece here.

Klimon (on Eponymous Books)?

--Jon Meyers

Old July 18th 05, 03:36 AM

William M. Klimon wrote:
Or, more specifically, how many authors have become eponyms for their
books--or perhaps a genre of books?

Let me add in the genre of crime:

Hubin (A Bibliography Of Crime Fiction)

AL

Old July 18th 05, 05:39 AM
Iam There4

"William M. Klimon" wrote:

[...]

Forgive me if this was already mentioned later in the thread...

BRADSTREET ( the name of the author of a commonly available and useful
street guide to Victorian London ), using this guide became known as
'consulting a Bradstreet'.

--

Swimming in the rivers of light.