Don't change the subject line, please!

Old July 31st 03, 08:48 AM
Toke Nørby

Default Don't change the subject line, please!

When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old July 31st 03, 05:10 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:48:35 +0200, Toke Nørby
found these unused words floating about:

When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

Toke;

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

The purpose specifically to be what you are seeing - essentially a new
post thread.

As the group has discussed many times - altering for OT or SNA is
appreciated by most. Some only want the 'pure' discussion andcan
ignore the OT/SNA'd posts. G

If you change your sorting to "Subject" instead of "Thread" they'll be
regrouped - though not necessarily in posted or reply order.

HTH
Old August 1st 03, 09:12 AM
TC

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:10:40 -0700, J. A. Mc.
wrote:

If you change your sorting to "Subject" instead of "Thread" they'll be
regrouped - though not necessarily in posted or reply order.

HTH

I use Forté Agent and that is exactly what I do (sort by subject).
It works fine for me.

Blair

Old August 1st 03, 08:08 PM
Toke Nørby

J. A. Mc. wrote:

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the discussion
strays off the original topic.

Oh, yes of course - but just adding one or two words which don't
exactly shows what the new thread is about is annoying (to me :-)

Well, the problem is not that big. I delete many postings and only
read a few I find of interest to me.

As the group has discussed many times - altering for OT or SNA is
appreciated by most. Some only want the 'pure' discussion andcan
ignore the OT/SNA'd posts. G

The "homour" for this group is for me hard to understand (read: it's
not funny to me and in my opinion pure waste of time to create/read it
- sorry Victor). Or am I just a cold fart in this hot summer (Tha't
actually a translation of a Danish phrase!)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback!

--
Mvh Toke
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old July 31st 03, 06:19 PM
Victor Manta

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

Thanks, friends!

--
Mvh Toke

There are several reasons why a subject line has to be changed, and not only
for OT or SNA, what other participants have already mentioned. For example a
discussion on a topic can slide into a totally different topic. Any of these
topics can be or not interesting for some, so that all participants have a
choice only if the subject line is right.

I could compare this with the catalogue prices, that should be also right,
as this group said a week ago :-)

By using OE and the newsreader from Google, I have got familiarized with
both styles, and I have found that each has its +++ and its ---.

Victor Manta
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
1900 Links Online: http://pwmo.org/weblinks/links.asp
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old August 10th 03, 08:12 AM
Didier Cuidet

Le Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:48:35 +0200, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
Toke Nørby a écrit :

When you answer to a posting in a thread - please don't change the
subject line as my news reader turn that answer into a brand new
posting - outside the original thread. It is much easier for (I'm
sure) most of us to keep the relevant posting in the original thread
if you leave the subject line unchanged!

So - please don't add "OT" (whatever) to the text in the subject line
even if you think the posting is OT. You can write that in the body of
the posting.

With your

look in Option - General settings - Messages list and uncheck « Start
a new thread when the subject changes »

NB : I use French located Forté Agent, the above texts are
back-to-English translations of what I could read. Maybe it will be
lightly different at your's.

--
DC