Belt case/hoslter for pens

Old October 28th 04, 09:13 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On 28 Oct 2004 12:58:20 -0700, (Dave Williams)
wrote:

Here are some links I've found. In some instances, these pages
contain some cases that do not have belt loops, but they'll be at
least one case there that does have a loop.

Are the people looking for belt holsters working primarily standing
up? I've given up on everything attached to the belt other than the
pocket watch holster I wear on occasion. It is solid, as is the steel
cased pocket watch it carries.

Everything else I've tried in the holster mode has been pretty much
destroyed, between arms on the office chair and the seat belt mech on
the Saab. I've bought solid 'almost indestructible' holsters for the
phones and I guess I'm why they use the term 'almost'. There is no pen
I hate enough to put in a pen holster and use on the way to and at
work.

And I can still remember a rather painful experience way back at
Michigan State, when my holstered slide rule self-destructed. I was
leaning to one side for about a week. OTOH, if you want to remove your
appendix, I guess Pickett is cheaper than the average doctor, if
perhaps a bit less precise...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old October 31st 04, 01:53 AM
Tetractys

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

And I can still remember a rather painful experience
way back at Michigan State, when my holstered slide
rule self-destructed....

I've taken my old Post bamboo out of the drawer
a couple of times, thinking of putting it up on eBay.
But I always put it back. Some day one of my
daughters will be going through my stuff, pull it
out and say, "I wish Dad were here. He could tell
me what the hell this thing is."

Old October 31st 04, 01:29 AM
RJ

Tetractys wrote:

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

And I can still remember a rather painful experience
way back at Michigan State, when my holstered slide
rule self-destructed....

I've taken my old Post bamboo out of the drawer
a couple of times, thinking of putting it up on eBay.
But I always put it back. Some day one of my
daughters will be going through my stuff, pull it
out and say, "I wish Dad were here. He could tell
me what the hell this thing is."

I have thought of building a glass-front box for my old log-log trig
rule. Then I could mount it on the wall above my computer with a "Break
Glass In Emergency" sign on it.
Old October 31st 04, 06:04 PM
George Manning

BTDT:

That actually was on a desk in what would now be called the IT department at
a place where I worked fifteen years ago.

"RJ" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 1st 04, 12:36 AM
Vic Drastik

"RJ" wrote in message
. ..
Tetractys wrote:

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

And I can still remember a rather painful experience
way back at Michigan State, when my holstered slide
rule self-destructed....

I've taken my old Post bamboo out of the drawer
a couple of times, thinking of putting it up on eBay.
But I always put it back. Some day one of my
daughters will be going through my stuff, pull it
out and say, "I wish Dad were here. He could tell
me what the hell this thing is."

I have thought of building a glass-front box for my old log-log trig
rule. Then I could mount it on the wall above my computer with a "Break
Glass In Emergency" sign on it.

Yes, but what if it won't slide? I suggest you get an abacus for extra
backup.

Old November 1st 04, 12:56 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

Tetractys wrote:

I've taken my old Post bamboo out of the drawer
a couple of times, thinking of putting it up on eBay.
But I always put it back. Some day one of my
daughters will be going through my stuff, pull it
out and say, "I wish Dad were here. He could tell
me what the hell this thing is."

I keep my trusty wooden Deitzgen 10" rule with teflon runners and my K&E
6" plastic pocket rule in a desk drawer. Just can't seem to part with
them. They took me through many a tough spot and seem like old friends.

Slide rule trivia: One way to distinguish upper classmen was by their
slide rule. Second semester juniors and all seniors were more concerned
with problem solution structure than with calculation, therefore could
carry the less accurate 6" pocket rule to class. In my day that was a
real status symbol---it meant you had made the cut and might even get a
degree.

Reuben

Old November 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Earl Camembert

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:36:57 +1100, "Vic Drastik"
wrote:

Yes, but what if it won't slide? I suggest you get an abacus for extra
backup.

Our number system is based on ten for a reason, I carry all ten of my
reasons with me at all times.
Old November 1st 04, 04:13 AM
RJ

Vic Drastik wrote:

"RJ" wrote in message
. ..
Tetractys wrote:

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

And I can still remember a rather painful experience
way back at Michigan State, when my holstered slide
rule self-destructed....

I've taken my old Post bamboo out of the drawer
a couple of times, thinking of putting it up on eBay.
But I always put it back. Some day one of my
daughters will be going through my stuff, pull it
out and say, "I wish Dad were here. He could tell
me what the hell this thing is."

I have thought of building a glass-front box for my old log-log trig
rule. Then I could mount it on the wall above my computer with a "Break
Glass In Emergency" sign on it.

Yes, but what if it won't slide? I suggest you get an abacus for extra
backup.

Oddly enough, I own an abacus. Bought it in Japan and actually learned
how to use it for simple add/subtract. But I couldn't come close to the
people in the stores who used it to total up the bill.
Old November 1st 04, 04:36 AM
Tetractys

Reuben S. Pitts III wrote:

I keep my trusty wooden Deitzgen 10" rule with
teflon runners and my K&E 6" plastic pocket rule
in a desk drawer.

I have the same pair -- but Post and no-name.
I hadn't seen either for years, and found them in
a box of goodies. I was afraid they'd frozen, but both
slid beautifully. I recall using bar soap on them, a trick
my dad taught me. (Works on wood screws, too.)

Slide rule trivia: One way to distinguish upper
classmen was by their slide rule. Second semester
juniors and all seniors were more concerned with problem solution
structure than with calculation,
therefore could carry the less accurate 6" pocket
rule to class.

I remember that dimensional analysis and order-of-
magnitude estimation were more important when
final figuring was with a slide rule. It seems young
engineers don't learn dimensional analysis (cancelling
and apportioning units of measure). Visualizing results
is an art made irrelevant by Mathematica on laptops.

Of course, I can't add up my grocery bill anymore,
either. Not due to senility -- well, maybe a little --
but reliance on the calculator.

Old November 2nd 04, 02:02 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

Tetractys wrote:
Reuben S. Pitts III wrote:

[...]

I'll bet that few engineering students today work problems in ink
(unless it is inkjet ink). I remember profs who required us to work in
ink. I used my trusty gold plated Sheaffer Triumph on green National
engineering grid pads. My Mother spent a small fortune for that pen in
the '60s. It was my first "nice" fountain pen and I still have it. It
was love of writing with that pen that began my collecting habit almost
40 years ago.