English Two Shillings 1961, One Shilling 1956

Old April 22nd 05, 02:30 PM

Default English Two Shillings 1961, One Shilling 1956

a.
In USA coins, what is the exchange value of
an English Two Shillings 1961 coin?...

b.
and a One Shilling 1956 coin?...

Old April 22nd 05, 06:17 PM
Scott Stevenson

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:32:03 GMT, "Dik T. Winter"
wrote:

In article Darren writes:
On 22 Apr 2005 06:30:22 -0700, wrote:
a.
In USA coins, what is the exchange value of
an English Two Shillings 1961 coin?...

b.
and a One Shilling 1956 coin?...

I only have figures back to 1971, this shows the value of the UKP to the
USD

Exchange figures were very constant upto around 1968. When I first was
in the UK (1966 or somesuch) one UK pound was DFL 10.80 and one US dollar
was DFL 3.60, or somewhere around those figures. That makes one UK pound
3 US dollars. So one shilling = $ 0.15.

Actually, the pound is at just over $1.91 as I'm typing this, so the
two shilling coin would be $.19, and the one shilling coin would be
$.095 (I'm assuming that since he said what _is_ the exchange rate,
he's talking about the current rate).

Darren,

Once thing to remember is that Britain changed it's monetary system
in 1971, so they no longer use a system pounds, shillings, and pence
(also known as the £sd system). AFAIK, it's not possible to directly
convert shillings to dollars anymore, but since two shillings was a
tenth of a pound, and the pound stayed "constant" during the change, I
figured the exchage based on the value of the pound, and took a tenth
of that.

If the coins are "uncirculated" (which means absolutely no wear, and
no scratches or other damage), they have some numismatic value, but
sadly, neither of them is a "world cruise" item.

If you're just looking at turning them into something "spendable",
shoot me an e-mail and let me know how much you'd like for the pair
(you'll need to remove the capital letters from my e-mail address).

take care,
Scott

Old May 3rd 05, 07:39 PM
Darren

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:17:19 GMT, Scott Stevenson wrote:

[...]

I remember it... just. LSD was actually libra, solidus, denarius, the £ is
just a stylised L for libra.

A shilling was 12d and after decimalisation the same coins were circulated
but had a value of 5p, this reflected the fact that there were 240d to the
pound before 1971 and 100p afterwards. Neat to keep the same coins
circulating but changing their value. So you can do the shilling/dollar
conversion since the pound, and the denomination of the shilling, changed
at the same time.

Shillings from 1816 were also legal tender until 1991 (or was it 1992) when
they brought that awful shirt button out and called it 5p.

Thanks
Darren
My oldest shilling is from Edward VI but I didn't find it in circulation
Old May 3rd 05, 10:51 PM
note.boy

Darren wrote:

[...]

My wife sometimes wears an Edward VI shilling round her neck, it was
holed when I bought it and I had a ring added for a chain to go through,
a large silver coin 400 years old makes for an unusual bit of
jewellery. Billy

Criticised with class! Rodney General Discussion 24 September 15th 04 10:07 AM
GOALIES @ 60% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 April 13th 04 08:29 PM
GOOD VINTAGE DEALS 50-69 Dohh Baseball 0 October 26th 03 09:51 PM
VINTAGE SINGLES GOOD PRICES 50-69 Dohh Baseball 0 August 20th 03 12:27 AM
FS: 1991 Mickey Mantle "My Favorite Summer 1956 1st edition Hardcover Book Jim Sinclair Baseball 0 July 30th 03 06:15 AM