Quantegy plant to reopen soon.

Old May 13th 05, 08:32 PM
DeserTBoB

On 12 May 2005 23:38:53 -0700, "Cartrivision1"
wrote:

Hi dB, no the Teac deck of mine has both manual bias and sensitivity
setting(s)....for both chanels. The display gives a reference point
for each type of tape (metal, Cro2, etc.) and you just twiddle the
knobs until you reach the right level. That is good to know that
overbiasing will ruin treble response. I am fairly new to high end
audio and up until a few years ago I never even used the tape type
selector when recording. No wonder all of my tapes sounded funny! snip

Ooops...LOL!

Actually, a trick used by many, dependant on the type of program
material, was to record CrO2 cassettes using the ferric 120 µS
equalization. This will work as long as the relative program levels
are fairly low and there's not a lot of high frequency energy that
will approach saturation. A lot of people preferred using this trick
instead of dealing with Dolby "B", and it sort of does the same thing,
but using linear boost of the treble rather than compression.
However, anything with a lot of top end in it will get squashed
quickly.

Columbia, for a short time, issued a series of "Chrome" cassette duped
at 120 µS for playback on standard ferric decks, and they were
somewhat successful. However, most people didn't know what the
difference was and there was price resistance, so CBS dropped the
project and instead, like on their 8 tracks, relied on Dolby "B" for
noise improvements. This happened at about the time the industry
adopted the dreaded Type III ferricrhomes for high speed duplication,
which were far superior to Type I in such service. Type III had the
disadvantages of both Type I and II in real-time recording, but
exhibited a particular advantage of flatness when used for high speed
duplication. That's why it's almost impossible to take old
ferrichrome prerecorded cassettes, bulk erase them, and use them for
blanks, unless your deck has a bias setting for Type III, which one of
mine does. All the usual problems with ferrichrome is there, though,
and it's not worth the time and effort.

All this is probably academic anyway, since you've long since gotten
rid of 472...and there's none on the market today in most places!
Ever try TDK SA?

No actually I recorded on one of my 472's last night. The recording
came out pretty well but for some reason the Quantegys just don't seem
to have a good high end response. I guess I am just spoiled wih the
TDK and Maxell tapes. And yes, I do like the SA's as they typically
have very good treble response. snip

TDK SA is about on a par with the old Maxell UDXL-II from my
experience, although the UDXL had a tad more headroom in the top end.
This wasn't a problem back in the days when UDXL was on the market, as
most cassette machines were referenced to 160 nWb/M, giving seemingly
unlimited headroom.

I just can't figure out why you're not getting good top end on a 472,
though. I always got great top end performance from that tape on a
number of different machines, including Naks, and even the ol' two
headed standby with variable bias, the old Onkyo TD-640D, about as
good as cheap two head decks ever got. For reasons unknown, that deck
can produce a ruler flat tape on both Type I and II tapes when played
back on a pro quality machine, although when playing back a "flat"
tape on it, it's a tad too dull up around 15 KHz, due to the
compromised head gap. A good, fairly cheap machine that was a real
sleeper in its day. The only way I found out about it was from tests
done by none other than Consuemr's Union, which top rated it. I was
skeptical, so I bought one used, and was amazed at just how good it
was. Unfortunately, technology moved on, and the IEC standard raised
to 250 nWb/m in 1981, and the wimpy head amps in the Onkyo coudln't
keep up with that level. But it was nice while it lasted!

Worst pro cassette machines I ever used: Ampex....garbage!

dB
Old May 13th 05, 08:33 PM
DeserTBoB

On 13 May 2005 11:14:33 -0700, "UNIVERSAL GENIUS"
wrote:

just one question Luke, why are you talking about cassettes in detail,
on an 8-track tape cartridge collecting site ? snip

To **** you off, you moron! HAHAHAHA!

I love it when the convo gets above Noodles' intellectual capacity.

dB
Old May 13th 05, 08:43 PM
DeserTBoB

On 12 May 2005 18:19:52 -0700, "CAINE"
wrote:

If you were using a reel to reel deck, and had the choice of either
1-7/8 IPS or 3.75 IPS on the speed selector switch, which one would you
choose for the best fidelity ?

Answer: the 3.75 IPS

which is why, an 8-track cartridge sounds better than any cassette in
the universe. snip

Wrong again, pud whacker!

Only area where 8 track has an advantage over all but the best
cassette machines is in the bass area. Cassette ran around 8 track in
top end performance around 1981 and never looked back.

cassettes have a slight reliability advantage- at first- but with time,
any cassette tape made ends up a crinkled POS mess that squeals like
hell. snip

Well, sure, Noodles...when you use the cheap Dictaphone blanks that a
rag picker like YOU would use!

once an 8-track is gone over and maintenanced properly, it will run for
another 20 years. The tape strength and durability is far superior
for the long run, over a cassette snip

Funny...then why do I have boxes full of dubs from masters made back
in the late '70s on UDXL-II and even Memorex CrO2 that still sound
fresh with no problems? Answer: Because you're a MORON, Charlie!

old engineers' adage- want to make something stronger ? Make it from
better material, or make it bigger, or both. snip

Wrong again, buttboy! The maxim of engineering today is "decontent
it", make it cheaper. What a clueless idiot.

In the case of the 8-track, it's bigger. And moves at twice the speed. snip

Let's see...8 track, made of cheap thermoplastic with lousy
tolerances, or cassettes made from precision molded Lexan with
precision molded guide rollers...which sounds better to a sane person?
Oh, I forgot...Noodles is insane, that's it!

Speed is everything in analog formats. The same reason why 45's sound
better than LP's, and a clean 78 will pale a 45, in the vinyl format. snip

More horse**** from a paranoid delusional. NO 45 sounds better than a
good LP unless it's a rare audiophile 45, and even on those, noise
increased slightly due to increase in stylus speed. 45 RPM audiophile
discs were dropped almost as soon as they appeared because there was
NO MEASURABLE OR AUDIBLE IMPROVEMENT IN SOUND QUALITY! Of course,
Noodles, it's hard to explain all this to someone who listens to their
crap on an Eletrobrand "all in one" with 6X9 speakers, now, isn't it?
HAHAHA

analog tape- wider is better, faster IPS is better- that 8-track tape
is basically 1/4" open reel tape with a graphite backing- stuffed in a
plastic shell- and minus one reel snip

Duh....the track width is the determining factor, and cassette and 8
track use the SAME track width. Back when they were competing, 8
track had a few small advantages, but those were wiped out for good in
1981 when the IEC standards were revamped, Type II and vastly improved
Type I oxides appeared in great numbers, and the Japanese perfected
very small gaps for cassette heads, and three head cassette decks
became the norm.

You lose again, dickwad! Now go change your dydies...they're full of
poop again!
Old May 15th 05, 12:03 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

oh, so now if we SLOW DOWN tape speed, fidelity improves, right
DOUCHEBOB. You are a major dumb **** ****house general if ever there
was one- that is the biggest CROCK of **** I ever heard.

go change your underwear, you're stinking up usenet with your bull****.

and your pension check will soon be CUT-CUT-CUT-

Old May 15th 05, 12:19 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

Cassette ran 8-track into the ground, because it was SMALLER AND
CHEAPER TO MAKE for the music co's.- hence more profit margin- you dumb
ass- not because it sounded better. If they kept making 8-tracks and
stocking them, people would have kept right on BUYING 8-TRACKS over
cassettes, just like we all did in high school in 1980 !

Cassettes were considered a PIECE OF ****. And they still are !

You are under the delusion that just cuz something "went out" it had to
be inferior, man are you ****ing WRONG. You have been totally
brainwashed by the consumer culture- someone could market stinkless dog
**** and you'd be on here raving how the stinkless **** ran the old
smelly **** into the ground...all based on TV commercials and ads you
read.

You are one DUMB mother ****er if ever there was one.

Old May 15th 05, 12:24 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

you are ****ED UP. Anyone on this site knows I don't live "home"

and your ebay accusations certainly do not agree with my feedback- so
you you a ****ing LIAR

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS

Old May 15th 05, 02:04 PM
UNIVERSAL GENIUS

Test results DO lie- if they are from a person such as yourself, who
worked a lazy-ass job in a ****ty union, never owned an Akai or Telex,
and you know **** to boot. Add to it, the natural degradation of your
hearing- you are over 65 years old- you can't hear a good deck from a
bad one- which is why you rely on an oscilloscope to test your ONE AND
ONLY 8-track deck.

I have made more home recorded 8-track tapes in the last 30 years, than
you will ever live to see at one time. And tested every variety of
blank tape in existence. They all basically sound the same, with
Scotch and Certron sounding the best. About the only one that I can
say sounds like ****, is a Radio Shack blank of any type.

If you are going to compare decks, then you should own a VARIETY of
them- which you do not. You only own ONLY a Wollensak 8055, the worst
Wolly ever made BTW, and your faulty "findings" from that one ****ty DC
motor deck, you proclaim correct for all decks made- and paint the
results with a wide brush on Usenet.

Furthermore, if you had any REAL INTEREST in 8-tracks, you would own an
AC MOTORED deck. It's obvious you can't ****ing AFFORD a good 8-track
deck, so you're stuck with that POS you have. Add to it, your
constant disdain for 8-tracks, and how you prefer cassettes and CD,
what the **** are you even doing here ??

Why don't you go hang out with the other undesireables on your ****ty
new "8trackheathen" site ? This site TOOK OFF after you assholes all
left.

I owned a Wollensak 8055, it was the WORST wow/fluttering deck I ever
tested in my life- it was LAUGHABLE that's how bad it was- and your
so-called "tests" posts in this forum all complain about wow/flutter-
well no ****ing wonder.

finally, you are actually STUPID enough to put an 8-track in your car,
which unless it's a vintage 1960-70's machine, is a brain damaged dumb
ass move on your part. Well you ARE stupid so that's no surprise. Car
conditions are what DESTROYED the majority of 8-track tapes in the
first place. The thing to play in a car, is a CD-R, if those get
ruined you can just ****can them- no loss- and make another.

Old May 15th 05, 05:31 PM
DeserTBoB

On 15 May 2005 04:03:48 -0700, "UNIVERSAL GENIUS"
wrote:

oh, so now if we SLOW DOWN tape speed, fidelity improves, right
DOUCHEBOB. You are a major dumb **** ****house general if ever there
was one- that is the biggest CROCK of **** I ever heard. snip

I never said that. What I did say awhile back is that with different
media, different things happen. With magnetic tape, raising speed
vastly increases headroom, but, unless the heads have pole pieces
designed for that particular speed, bass response begins to suffer.
Example: An Ampex 300 or 350/351 equipped with the cheapie
replacement Nortronics heads can't give bass below 60 Hz when running
at 30 IPS, while the stock Ampex heads could give it down to around
30. It's a geometric problem, something I'm sure is WAY above your
limited mentality. The same geometric problems plagued cassette for
years, with "lumpy" bass response being the norm on all but the most
expensive decks until head technologies improved to the point of where
bass response irregularities were overcome to a degree. Many decks,
such as Denons, did this through special equalization while others,
like Nak, did it though expensive changes in head geometry.

and your pension check will soon be CUT-CUT-CUT- snip

Here's the problem with stupid Americans, like Chuckie Noodles. They
have nothing, no future, didn't work a good job with benefits for
years, and thus feel that when someone who did loses everything
they've worked for, they feel happy about the pain the wiser guy
suffers. Corporate goons and Republican shills love this, and used it
quite successfully to win in 2000 and 2004. Now that the REAL reason
behind Bush's phony "Social Security Reforms" are coming to fore, to
wit, it's a smoke screen for the corporate gutting of traditional
pension plans, the electorate in the middle class, many of whom may
have been mollified by Republican bull****, will now rebel and toss
the right wingers/religious kooks out on their collective asses.

ITEM: Per surveys done in April, Hillary Clinton beats ALL potential
Republican candidates in theoretical 2008 races except one...John
McCain, and the religious loony/corporate creep wings of the
Republican party will never let him be nominated. Against all others,
Clinton wins handily, and would win by a landslide against Frist,
Giuliani, Gingrich and other right wing has-beens and wannabes.
Source: The McLaughlin Group. Conspicuous by his failure is Colin
Powell, whose reputation was besmirched badly by the nascent neocons
(including a cranky, ****ed off John Bolton) in the Bush
Administration over the WMD lie. Bolton, you see, helped set Powell
up for the fall by feeding him "cooked" intel reports on WMDs,
probably at the bidding of Bushie insider nad puppeteer Karl Rove
and/or the treacherous Dickhead Cheney. The corporate creep wing,
drunk with power in trashing pension funds (in direct violation of
ERISA, which will win the appeal for United workers) and other
setbacks for working Americans, will try to "draft" Dickhead for '08,
who polls show as being the most untrusted Republican in Washington.
Old May 15th 05, 05:36 PM
DeserTBoB

On 15 May 2005 04:19:16 -0700, "UNIVERSAL GENIUS"
wrote:

Cassette ran 8-track into the ground, because it was SMALLER AND
CHEAPER TO MAKE for the music co's. snip

True, at first.

Cassettes were considered a PIECE OF ****. And they still are ! snip

You must've been so stoned in the '80s, you don't remember much.

Once the IEC standards for cassette were revised in 1981 as an effort
to improve the medium, cassette EASILY beat 8 track anything in
several critical performance areas...signal-to-noise ratio (courtest
CrO2 oxides and Dolby "B"), frequency response (thanks to improved
head designs and three head, three motored decks) and distortion and
headroom (courtesy the raising of the standard normal operating level
of cassettes from 160 to 250 nWb/M, the same as were early tube driven
Ampex recorders of the early '50s.

You are under the delusion that just cuz something "went out" it had to
be inferior, man are you ****ing WRONG. You have been totally
brainwashed by the consumer culture- someone could market stinkless dog
**** and you'd be on here raving how the stinkless **** ran the old
smelly **** into the ground...all based on TV commercials and ads you
read. snip

As usual, Noodles has NO facts, NO knowledge, NO understanding...just
vitriol and bile because the facts prove him wrong...again...still.

You are one DUMB mother ****er if ever there was one. snip

It's a classic presentation of the paranoid delusional (and
schizophrenics) to project their failings upon others they consider
enemies. You were doing SO well when you were on your meds. Take
your pills, Noodles, or you'll wind up in the nut ward again!
Old May 15th 05, 05:38 PM
DeserTBoB

On 15 May 2005 04:24:05 -0700, "UNIVERSAL GENIUS"
wrote:

you are ****ED UP. Anyone on this site knows I don't live "home" snip

You SHOULD be living in a residential mental facility, but that's for
others to decide.

and your ebay accusations certainly do not agree with my feedback- so
you you a ****ing LIAR

http://feedback. snipping to break link

We all know about your past attempts a manipulating feedback, Noodles.
So does ebay. They also are investigating your fraud alignment
cartridges. What WILL you do with your time when your rag picking
career ends??

Last US audio tape maker quits DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 12 January 8th 05 08:57 PM
Sheaffer john cline ii Pens & Pencils 4 March 31st 04 01:13 PM
FA: 2-Days, Chrysler Corp Tank Plant Ash Tray, c. 50's buckeyeweb General 0 July 27th 03 06:04 AM
FA: Chrysler Corp Tank Plant Ash Tray, c. 50's buckeyeweb General 0 July 22nd 03 04:33 AM
Jimmy Page/Robert Plant Question? Tarkus Shadow Autographs 7 July 22nd 03 04:19 AM