Can't believe this is a featured auction

Old January 17th 04, 07:06 PM
JOPN

Default Can't believe this is a featured auction

How the heck does e-bay choose the auctions that appear on the top of the page?
The are so called "featured". I assume by e-bay. Is that correct?
Look at this one:

Looks like some kinda pyramid thing to me.
John N
Old January 17th 04, 07:41 PM
Stujoe

JOPN wrote:
How the heck does e-bay choose the auctions that appear on the top of
the page? The are so called "featured". I assume by e-bay. Is that
correct?

I doubt it. Without looking it up, I am willing to bet that Featured just
means someone payed an extra fee to have it featured.

Look at this one:

Looks like some kinda pyramid thing to me.

I didn't go to the site to read about it but I thought advertising links in
an auction was against Ebay rules?

--
Stujoe
Email: http://tinyurl.com/wu00

Old January 17th 04, 08:05 PM
Jorg Lueke

On 17 Jan 2004 19:06:32 GMT, JOPN wrote:

How the heck does e-bay choose the auctions that appear on the top of
the page?
The are so called "featured". I assume by e-bay. Is that correct?
Look at this one:

Looks like some kinda pyramid thing to me.
John N

Free, hehe. Nothing on Ebay is free. A featured auction is soemthing you
pay for. I never do but I think the category featured is approachin $100.

Old January 17th 04, 08:05 PM
Aladdin Sane

Featured means that the seller paid an additional $20 to have the item
listed as such. E-bay claims that on average, featured items sell for 18%
more. This claim may be true, but remember, this is for all E-bay auctions,
not Coins alone.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old January 18th 04, 05:07 AM
Chris S

"Aladdin Sane" wrote in message
E-bay claims that on average, featured items sell for 18%
more. This claim may be true, but remember, this is for all E-bay

auctions,
not Coins alone.

I've seen this claim, too, and I have to wonder about the cause-and-effect
relationship. In other words, do people feature stuff that happens to really
be worth more, or would selling identical items--one feature, one
not--result in the 18% on average?

--Chris

Old January 19th 04, 05:15 PM
DONDI3

In article EAgOb.74301$sv6.163979@attbi_s52, "Aladdin Sane"
writes:

Featured means that the seller paid an additional $20 to have the item
listed as such. E-bay claims that on average, featured items sell for 18%
more. This claim may be true, but remember, this is for all E-bay auctions,
not Coins alone.

I pay the fee to have one of my regular auctions "featured" and it regularly
gets from 3 to 50 times more "hits" than the unfeatured ones. Dunno whether
this translates to bids or $$, but I'm almost always happy with the results...

Obviously this won't work on low value auctions, but for my purposes, I'm sure
I'm recovering the fee & more by running them that way. I occasionally try the
identical auction without the fee and the numbers drop off dramatically.

Dondi3

Dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old January 25th 04, 12:28 AM
George D

writes:

[...]

what would be interesting is to run the same Item one featured and one not. Of course
getting 2 pieces that are identical with enough markup to absorb the fee might be a problem.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old February 1st 04, 12:02 AM
Frank Provasek

Sometime I run a featured auction on an item not expensive enough to warrant
it...hoping
people will click on my link to my other items.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259