Rockola Amp Problem

Old February 22nd 12, 10:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
robert

Default Rockola Amp Problem

On my Rockola 440 in stereo mode, sound comes out of the right
speakers only. If I reverse the input cable from the cartridge to the
amp the left side is still out. I select Mono on the amp, all
speakers work.

I've recapped the amp about 2 months ago and just installed a new
needle. I also checked the bias voltage and that checks out ok.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert
Old February 23rd 12, 01:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 2/22/2012 5:33 PM, robert wrote:
On my Rockola 440 in stereo mode, sound comes out of the right
speakers only. If I reverse the input cable from the cartridge to the
amp the left side is still out. I select Mono on the amp, all
speakers work.

I've recapped the amp about 2 months ago and just installed a new
needle. I also checked the bias voltage and that checks out ok.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like it's in the pre amp section. Ah you didn't say, did it work
before you recapped it?
Old February 23rd 12, 04:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
robert

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I didn't check it before I recapped it.

I'll double-check all of the caps. Is there anything I should check
specifically in the preamp section? The manual doesn't really go into
too great of detail regarding amplifier troubleshooting.

Robert

Old February 23rd 12, 04:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
robert

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I didn't check the amp before I recapped it.

I will check the caps again. Is there anything specific in the preamp
section that I should look at? The manual doesn't go into too great
of detail regarding amp troubleshooting.

Old February 25th 12, 01:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On Feb 22, 8:54 pm, Tony wrote:

On 2/22/2012 5:33 PM, robert wrote:

On my Rockola 440 in stereo mode, sound comes out of the right
speakers only. If I reverse the input cable from the cartridge to the
amp the left side is still out. I select Mono on the amp, all
speakers work.

I've recapped the amp about 2 months ago and just installed a new
needle. I also checked the bias voltage and that checks out ok.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like it's in the pre amp section. Ah you didn't say, did it work
before you recapped it?

(bottom posting)
Sorry, don't recall anything offhand, it's one of those things I need in
front of me to figure it out.

Tony
Old February 26th 12, 08:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
robert

Hi Tony,

Taking your advice I focused on the preamp section. I replaced the
two 2N3417 transistors in the left channel preamp module but that
didn't solve the problem. Since there appears to be another stage in
the AVC circuit BEFORE the mono/stereo switch, I decided to replace
the two 2N3417 transistors (Q3 and Q5) on the left channel in that
stage. I'm not sure if one or both were bad, but I figured replace
them both as I already had the thing apart. ( If this didn't work my
next step would have been to replace the 2N3405 transistors.) Plugged
it in and both channels and all speakers are working.

Thanks again!

Old February 27th 12, 06:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 2/26/2012 3:39 PM, robert wrote:
Hi Tony,

Taking your advice I focused on the preamp section. I replaced the
two 2N3417 transistors in the left channel preamp module but that
didn't solve the problem. Since there appears to be another stage in
the AVC circuit BEFORE the mono/stereo switch, I decided to replace
the two 2N3417 transistors (Q3 and Q5) on the left channel in that
stage. I'm not sure if one or both were bad, but I figured replace
them both as I already had the thing apart. ( If this didn't work my
next step would have been to replace the 2N3405 transistors.) Plugged
it in and both channels and all speakers are working.

Thanks again!

Good to hear you found it, hope I helped a little.