Lincoln cent/dime "mule" to be offered at auction

Old April 6th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Lincoln cent/dime "mule" to be offered at auction

http://news-antique.com/?id=781305&k...t-dime-auction

Old April 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" came by and dropped off a report to the group:
http://news-antique.com/?id=781305&k...t-dime-auction

I think it a bit strange that the term "*excessively* rare" is being applied
to describe this mule coin. Would not "*extremely* rare" have worked better?
Yes, I recognize that YMMV in such things...

Amistad
'perhaps it's ME that's a bit strange in this regard'

Old April 6th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad \(formerly known as Señor Amistad\)"
proclaimed in
:

I think it a bit strange that the term "*excessively* rare" is being
applied to describe this mule coin. Would not "*extremely* rare" have
worked better? Yes, I recognize that YMMV in such things...

The continued deterioration of the English Language. I think the word they
were looking for was "exceedingly," but "extremely" would also work.
Old April 6th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Swiper T. Fox" wrote in message
7.131...
"Amistad \(formerly known as Señor Amistad\)"
proclaimed in
:

I think it a bit strange that the term "*excessively* rare" is being
applied to describe this mule coin. Would not "*extremely* rare" have
worked better? Yes, I recognize that YMMV in such things...

The continued deterioration of the English Language. I think the word
they
were looking for was "exceedingly," but "extremely" would also work.

But, is exceedingly rare rarer than excessively rare or is it exceptionally
rare that is rarer than extremely rare or is it ..........

Oh never mind.

Old April 6th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:02:48 GMT, Brian Blackwell wrote:

But, is exceedingly rare rarer than excessively rare or is it exceptionally
rare that is rarer than extremely rare or is it ..........

Don't see many of them thar mules around these days, do'y.

Oh never mind.

Yeah, I'll go with that.

Old April 6th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"This incredible error, which hails from Part Two of the Bellaire
Collection, somehow escaped the scrutiny of Mint employees," said
Greg Rohan, President of Dallas-based Heritage Auction Galleries. "We
are uncertain how a Lincoln cent obverse die was paired with a
Roosevelt dime reverse, but this coin proves that it happened."

"... somehow escaped the scrutiny of Mint employees..." You know, the
British have many ways to say the word "indeed" that will cut the
scaffold from under any argument.

As with the 1913 Liberty fakes, this coin from 1999 is typical of the
work of at least one and probably more Mint employees who churned out
oddities for the collector markets. The "Sackie on a Quarter" was
their main line of business, if I recall correctly. Eventually, the
Mint Police caught up with at least one of them. All of that was back
in 1999-2000.

If taken at face value, the term "excessively rare" does imply that the
rarity can be remediated down to "moderately" or even "slightly." You
never know how many of these things are out there.

Old April 6th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

.... and is this not going to bring a TON of those "magician's coins" to
the attention of unwitting -- if not unwitted -- buyers?

"L00K! L00K! A coin like this was recently sold at auction by Heritage
for $6.023*10^23!!"

Oh, brother...

Old April 6th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Of course "exceptional" means a departure from the norm -- an
exception. So something that is "exceptionally rare" may not be rare at
all. Perhaps they have a million of these things and are waiting to
sell them one at a time.

Truth in advertising, whether you believe it or not.