A nice surprise!

Old March 7th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default A nice surprise!

Howdy friends!

Last night I was browsing through an old book that I bought at a moving sale
at least 20 years ago. The book was printed in 1896. As I thumbed its pages,
I ran across a dried and pressed four-leaf clover safely tucked between two
pages. (Gosh, I haven't thought of those in a long time, but can remember
looking for them in the yard where I grew up as a kid.)

The real surprise came when I continued thumbing and then discovered a 1928
two dollar bill! It appears to be in excellent shape, and though I have
been in the habit of giving these "deuces" out as tips for many years, I'm
gonna hang on to this one. To the best of my recollection, this is the only
one I've seen that has a red seal and a red serial number.

Even though I don't collect "quiet money", this was a nice surprise to
happen on to! I plan to do some digging in my flower beds today. Who
knows? Maybe I'll unearth a coin in there...

Señor Amistad
'ever hopeful, ever watchful'

Old March 7th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Señor Amistad wrote:
The real surprise came when I continued thumbing and then discovered a 1928
two dollar bill! It appears to be in excellent shape, and though I have
been in the habit of giving these "deuces" out as tips for many years, I'm
gonna hang on to this one. To the best of my recollection, this is the only
one I've seen that has a red seal and a red serial number...

This reminded me of something that happened this weekend. A man told me
that he was cleaning out a piece of furniture and found two 1925 $20
gold pieces in plastic capsules. He was delighted that he found them
when the cost of gold was up. The dealer gave him spot for what he said
were uncirculated coins. I didn't tell him that he could have gotten
more. There was no reason to turn his joy into regret, given that the
deal was done.

Anita

Old March 7th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...

Señor Amistad wrote:
[...]

A long time ago my Aunt found something interesting.
She is an avid antique furniture collector and dealer. She bought an old
player piano.
One day she unrolled some of the paper rolls the piano played music on.
She found quite a few confederate banknotes in them. She immediately sold
them to a dealer
and I never even got to look at them or know how many or what she got for
them.
She is a pretty closed-mouth person. I was told there were a "bunch".

Dale