Marathon ~ Queensland.

Old February 25th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Default Marathon ~ Queensland.

Thanks to our off list detective lass,
Marathon [ Queensland ] would be a better bet at this stage.
http://cjoint.com/data/cBx6OZnFuy.htm

Jill has uncovered a marvelous resource, which Malcolm would be
advised to keep in his "favourites"
https://www.premierpostal.com:443/cg...63200922481056

To isolate a town set by Capital letter, place the letter in the first blank
box, then enter.

I have a fuzzy idea what constitutes a "Receiving Office"
can anyone define the term in an Australian context please?

Old March 14th 09, 07:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Rodney

For modern postmarks the Oz postal code site will identify all
possibilities by inserting any "string" of consecutive letters. All
other sites please copy this idea. Hence no queries of Australian
postmarks from me recently!

Note I found this function by accident by prematurely hitting the send
button before completing the letters - and finding the middle of a
postmark in addition to the beginning.

I have also added the other site to my favoutites in the event
( remote ) that I receive some obsolete postmarks at some time in the
future. Thanks

Malcolm

advised to keep in his "favourites" *https://www.premierpostal.com:443/cg...w?&nocookie=47...

Old March 14th 09, 08:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks Malcolm,
I was aware of that.
The two problems we encounter, are both the redundant PO
whose name appears nowhere apart from postmark lists from philatelists
(I have the Western Australian compendium)
and also "localities" versus post offices.
eg "Red Ruff River" may indeed be a township, but the mail is handled
by a larger area post office.
Jill's link was doozy, I have that in my favs
Rod.