FA: VIP Sacagawea - James Benfield / Coin Coalition Strike

Old April 8th 04, 09:01 AM
Phil Barnhart

Default FA: VIP Sacagawea - James Benfield / Coin Coalition Strike

This auction is for the VIP Sacagawea struck by James Benfield, the
late head of the Coin Coalition and the father of the Sacagawea
dollar. These "first strikes" were done on a special press at a
ceremony held at the Philadelphia Mint on November 18, 1999. Less
than 600 strikes were made, and it appears that the dies were
specially prepared.
Old April 8th 04, 06:19 PM
WinWinscenario

This auction is for the VIP Sacagawea struck by James Benfield, the
late head of the Coin Coalition and the father of the Sacagawea
dollar.

Yesterday PCGS ran a story that they had signed up "war hero" Jessica Lynch to
do up to 100,000 (!) signed slabs for resale.

Is there really a market for this stuff? Who's the next instant celebrity to
get a deal, Juror #4?

Regards,
Tom
Old April 8th 04, 06:40 PM
Shystev99

Is there really a market for this stuff? Who's the next instant celebrity to
get a deal, Juror #4?

Regards,
Tom

My guess would be Richard Clarke, It'd give him the title to his next book.
"I Signed Sac Dollars and Bush Didn't"
Steve
Old April 9th 04, 02:01 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 08 Apr 2004 17:19:46 GMT, WinWinscenario
wrote:

This auction is for the VIP Sacagawea struck by James Benfield, the
late head of the Coin Coalition and the father of the Sacagawea
dollar.

Yesterday PCGS ran a story that they had signed up "war hero" Jessica
Lynch to
do up to 100,000 (!) signed slabs for resale.

Is there really a market for this stuff? Who's the next instant
celebrity to
get a deal, Juror #4?

Regards,
Tom

ICG is using the last mint engraver.
Old April 9th 04, 05:00 PM
WinWinscenario

Is there really a market for this stuff? Who's the next instant
celebrity to
get a deal, Juror #4?

Regards,
Tom

ICG is using the last mint engraver.

This at least makes sense from a numismatic standpoint. I can see some sort of
tangential and logical connection between an engraver and his/her product.

This seems to me to be another attempt to crossover two hobbies, autograph
collecting and coin collecting, just like they have tried to do before with
coins and stamps and coins and baseball cards (remember the 1997 Jackie
Robinson set?)

But Jessica Lynch?

Regards,
Tom

Old April 9th 04, 06:42 PM
Shystev99

This seems to me to be another attempt to crossover two hobbies, autograph
collecting and coin collecting, just like they have tried to do before with
coins and stamps and coins and baseball cards (remember the 1997 Jackie
Robinson set?)

But Jessica Lynch?

Regards,
Tom

That what it seems to be to me as well, Matter of fact I'll go a step further
and bet that within the next 5 - 10 years they may make a strong effort to
change the commorative coin law that states only deceased people can be put on
commemorative coinage, If they change it to living they could have the very
person signing the coin that appears on the coin.

I think that's where this all my be headed.
But maybe i'm wrong.
Steve
Old March 10th 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default FA: VIP Sacagawea - "war hero" Jessica Lynch

I have one struck by Randy L tenton. Her intials are engraved on the eagles chest "R" and "L" it's like a optical illusion