Mont Blanc 146 real or fake

Old June 9th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default Mont Blanc 146 real or fake

I recently got a old pen from my grandfather and I was not sure if it
is real or not. My grandfather is rather wealthy and he has had this
pen a long time (I'm guessing like 20ish years). Anyway I don't know
if it is real or not. My grandfather could, for sure, afford a real
one, but that's not to say he couldn't have been duped either. He
collected more guns, and watches than anything else. Anyway I'll
describe the pen:

Black Resin with gold accents.
Fountain pen and the nib reads:

4810
"then a M in the snowcap logo"
14K
montblanc
585

On the cap (screw on) the clip has no SN, but it does have "germany"
engraved on the thin upper part. The MontBlanc logo on top is inlayed
into the pen.

The the bottom of the cap on the larger gold band it reads:

MONTBLANC-MEISTERSTUCK No 146-

The bottom screws out quite a ways and then stops (I guess this is
normal..I know next to nothing about fountain pens, or any other kind
of pens for that matter.)

I don't think there is any ink it is, as it does not write and I'm sure
has not been used for years and years.

So what do you guys think?

Old June 10th 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"luthier" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have the exact same pen (or description.) My pen was purchased at
about 1987-88 new. It is a great writer and has been my "everyday" pen
since. I think the first thing you might want to do is give it a good
cool or lukewarm water flush. When they sit around for years and run
dry, you don't know how well it will clean. I'm not sure if the body
is resin or plastic. It's unusually light in weight compared to my
others. If you don't want to keep it, I'm sure you wouldn't have any
trouble selling it but since you have never used it, you don't know
what condition to describe it as. If I were you, I'd be curious enough
to at least try to get to know it better.

2

Old June 10th 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

So I take it yours is a real one then eh? I need to take a closer look
at the operation of this one and see if it needs any service...it
probably does. Regardless I'm not selling it because it was my
grandfathers, but I was just curious if it was a real one or not...I've
just heard about the fake ones.

Old June 10th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"luthier" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I take it yours is a real one then eh? I need to take a closer

look
at the operation of this one and see if it needs any service...it
probably does. Regardless I'm not selling it because it was my
grandfathers, but I was just curious if it was a real one or

not...I've
just heard about the fake ones.

I'm sure it is the real thing and most likely yours is also. Back when
they were selling the "146" as a standard production piece, there
weren't so many of the "knockoff's" being turned out. I remember that
I got a good deal, paying less than retail at an office supply store
and still that pen wasn't cheap. I'm glad you're going to keep the
pen. If I had my grandfather's pen - or anything that he had a
personal relationship with, I'd keep it and make sure it passed to my
grandchildren. Imagine, those kids will be living into the 21st
century! A genuine 20th century fountain pen will seem a real treasure
to them. Are you going to get your Monteblanc up and running? If use
it a while and get the hang of it, you may not want to use anything
else. Actually a MB is not really that big a deal. It's to some degree
a lot of hype. There are a lot of better made pens out there. If you
look closely, you'll see that the MB is just a bit flimsy, considering
the price they are asking.

Old June 10th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Yes I do want to get it up and running. I need to get some ink and see
if, by chance, it will write. If so then I might be lucky and just
need to use it some and break it back in. Anyway any suggestions on
getting it in good working order would be appreciated.

Old June 11th 06, 12:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"luthier" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yes I do want to get it up and running. I need to get some ink and

see
if, by chance, it will write. If so then I might be lucky and just
need to use it some and break it back in. Anyway any suggestions on
getting it in good working order would be appreciated.

There is a wealth of info among the number users of this ng and many
I'm sure are anxious to share it with you. The first thing you need to
do is clean your pen to see what you have. The link following is a
good place to begin.
http://www.nibs.com/PenMaintenance.htm .

Next you'll need to decide what color ink will suit you. Lately ink
has been a sensitive topic of discussion here. Starting out, one ink
is about as good as the other. Stick to any major brand and the higher
priced stuff isn't necessarily better. $8.00 for a 3 oz bottle is
about what you would expect to pay. If you want it to be waterproof or
tamper resistant, the cost starts to escalate. After the pen has been
clean and loaded with fresh ink, the nib should glide on the paper
without resistance or pressure. If the ink isn't flowing well and it
skips, or it writes scratchy, that's a whole new chapter.