Bidding strategy?

Old July 2nd 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
KenK

Default Bidding strategy?

I'm trying to replace my falling-apart Scott catalogs. I've been bidding on
older ones - like 2008 & 9 - at $10 - $20 over estimated value. (My
collection stops ar 1990.) I always lose by just a bit and assume someone
present is bidding against me. I really want a new set, just so they are
later than 1990! How much over should I bid? Bid stronger on older sets
which are likely to be less popular? Do the auction houses really sell
stuff at one increment over last bid? When I win something it has always
been for my bid, even if generous.

TIA

Ken

Old July 2nd 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 7/2/2010 10:21 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to replace my falling-apart Scott catalogs. I've been bidding on
older ones - like 2008& 9 - at $10 - $20 over estimated value. (My
collection stops ar 1990.) I always lose by just a bit and assume someone
present is bidding against me. I really want a new set, just so they are
later than 1990! How much over should I bid? Bid stronger on older sets
which are likely to be less popular? Do the auction houses really sell
stuff at one increment over last bid? When I win something it has always
been for my bid, even if generous.

TIA

Ken

Check eBay. Some sellers have a buy it now price.

Check Amazon. I see prices less than $8 for fairly recent used Scott
catalogs.

Check amospress online. They've got some Scott 2008 CD catalogs (not
print) for $19.99 each.

Bill Sharpe
Old July 3rd 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 2 July, 19:21, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to replace my falling-apart Scott catalogs. I've been bidding on
older ones - like 2008 & 9 - at $10 - $20 over estimated value. (My
collection stops ar 1990.) I always lose by just a bit and assume someone
present is bidding against me.

Library sales. They usually have a fixed price for a particular
binding and don't know the relative content-related values. Also no
killer p&p.

Certainly always compare Amazon and eBay prices for books, Amazon are
often much cheaper, but watch the fixed p&p.

Try other auction sites like Delcampe and eBid. There's also
http://www.auctionlo****ch.com/ which searches several auction sites
at once.

Use a sniper. 3 snipes a week free at http://lotsnipe.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Chris
Old July 3rd 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Albert

Default Back to "business"

My first reply here, trying to understand how the discussion list
works.
Been a collector for 33 years , and wishing to continue exchanging,
what I have stopped for some years.Used to trade trough stamp traders
list from Denmark, anybody knows of a list similar to that nowadays ?

Best Regards
Albert
Old July 4th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Argguy

On Jul 2, 12:21*pm, KenK wrote:
I'm trying to replace my falling-apart Scott catalogs. I've been bidding on
older ones - like 2008 & 9 - at $10 - $20 over estimated value. (My
collection stops ar 1990.) I always lose by just a bit and assume someone
present is bidding against me. I really want a new set, just so they are
later than 1990! How much over should I bid? Bid stronger on older sets
which are likely to be less popular? Do the auction houses really sell
stuff at one increment over last bid? When I win something it has always
been for my bid, even if generous.

TIA

Ken

Checking the Library was not a bad idea. But see if your library carries scott catalogs. My local keeps the current year in the reference section but the previous years I can check out. I just checked out the complete 2008 set w/US spec. for 30 days and can renew for another two weeks on Line. If I need current pricing I can go to the library and use the reference 2011/2010's.

Russ

Best Strategy Bob F.[_4_] Coins 21 April 27th 09 03:56 AM
Remeber the interesting seller strategy against snipers? Steve Ruud Coins 3 April 6th 05 06:27 PM
A new marketing strategy for ebay Cliff Coins 4 December 19th 04 08:16 PM
My nickel strategy Alan Williams Coins 3 November 16th 04 11:06 PM
Looking for 01 MLB Showdown Strategy ConradJen Baseball 0 February 13th 04 03:22 AM