Buried box of old currency found in Massachusetts

Old April 27th 05, 02:15 AM
Bruce Remick

"Alan Williams" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On 26 Apr 2005 02:40:09 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...6/pair_digs_up
_buried_hoard_in_methuen/

This is a very neat find.

Hm. Too bad they were smart enough to take the things to a coin shop.
One of our RCC locals could have had a really great "Found in
Circulation" thread had they just deposited the lot at the bank!

Also a shame that at least one of the finders wasn't a collector. That
lot would be a dream come true for any bank note collector!

Padraic.

I noticed this amazing find made the TV news, too. I saw film and

interviews on
our local news tonight but not on any of the network news shows. (All three
networks did manage to carry the same footage of the escaped bisons in MD,
though) The three guys who found the currency stash said they were going

sell most of it and use the proceeds to support their rock band. What a

waste!

Bruce

CNN Headline is running it with speculation about bootleggers and bank
robbers. Those two are always more exciting speculations than misers
and squirrels. ;-)

Definitely! Any romanticized connections like that just add to the fascination.
The only thing that could spoil this story would be for some insurance company
to come out of the woodwork with documents to challenge the kids' legal
ownwership of the stash.

Bruce

Old April 27th 05, 02:51 AM
stonej

I wouldn't say it is a waste, when they sell the notes it is their
money and
they are free to do what they want with it. A real waste would be
them
thowing them all in the trash thinking the old notes were worthless.

At least these will be sold into the collector market and saved for
future
generations of collectors.

Old April 27th 05, 03:07 AM
Alan Williams

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Geraldo Rivera will show up claiming it is the True Content of
Al Capone's Vault. ;-)

Alan
'shamefully admits he watched it live'
Old April 27th 05, 12:22 PM
Bruce Remick

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wouldn't say it is a waste, when they sell the notes it is their
money and
they are free to do what they want with it. A real waste would be
them
thowing them all in the trash thinking the old notes were worthless.

At least these will be sold into the collector market and saved for
future
generations of collectors.

I still feel that dumping this "once in a lifetime" find of exotic old currency
in order to support a rock band is numismatic heresy. In my own distant youth,
any kid(s) who made a similar find likely would become instant collectors and
would probably want to learn more about the different notes. Today, their first
thought is the cash value and what they can buy with the proceeds. Rock band.
Sigh. ; )

Bruce
'likes living in the past better'

Old April 27th 05, 02:41 PM
stonej

Bruce Remick wrote:
"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think you romanticise the past a bit much. I have known people over
many years who were exposed to coins in various ways and showed no
interest whatsoever. Some people are bitten by the numismatic bug and
want to know more and others have no interest at all. My grandfather
is a good example, thru a business deal he acquired a large number of
coins (Indian head cents, large cents, 20 cent pieces
etc.) back in the 1930s and my grandmother felt that would be a good
hobby for
him so she bought a coin album to put them in. To make a long story
short he
filled the album put the cover on the box and stuck it in a back room
and never
looked at them again. My grandmother said "well, so much for that
hobby". Years
later I got the coins and developed my own interest.

Old April 27th 05, 04:31 PM
Bruce Remick

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bruce Remick wrote:
"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You're right. I guess I am guilty of romanticizing the past. It is simply
something that many of us over-60'ers are prone to do. I just tried to put
myself in the place of the three boys who found the currency as if it had
happened to me or my friends in the 1950's. Even though I did collect coins
back then, if it had been a cache of old stamps, baseball cards, matchbooks,
etc., selling them would have been the last thing to enter my mind, and I would
have been hooked with one more new "hobby". I collected many different things
as a kid, and like your grandfather, put them away in a box when I tired of them
or wanted to concentrate on something else. Fortunately, I saved many of them
and found my interest in them was often rekindled as an adult. As in your case,
I will pass them on to a grandson. Hopefully some of my years of enjoyment will
rub off on him and he won't simply calculate how fancy a rock band he can
finance by selling everything. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Bruce

Old April 27th 05, 04:39 PM
Bruce Remick

"Leo M. Cavanaugh III" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:22:51 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I still feel that dumping this "once in a lifetime" find of exotic old

currency
in order to support a rock band is numismatic heresy.

It's their property now and they can dispose of it as they see fit.

Of course you're right. I was simply expressing how sad I thought it was that
such a rare find didn't seem to inspire any of them to learn more about what
they found, maybe to even develop a taste for keeping and appreciating them for
awhile, instead of figuring how quickly they could unload them for big bucks.

In my own distant youth,
any kid(s) who made a similar find likely would become instant collectors and
would probably want to learn more about the different notes. Today, their

first
thought is the cash value and what they can buy with the proceeds. Rock

band.
Sigh. ; )

It goes without saying that today's youth are stupid but people have
been saying that for millennia, at least. It's the sort of thing
young people do shrug.
--

I wouldn't agree that today's youth are stupid at all. They are probably a lot
more savvy than I was when I was their age. Their tastes, their goals, and what

Bruce

Old April 27th 05, 04:45 PM
stonej

wrote:

I still feel that dumping this "once in a lifetime" find of exotic

old currency
in order to support a rock band is numismatic heresy.

It's their property now and they can dispose of it as they see fit.

In my own distant youth,
any kid(s) who made a similar find likely would become instant

collectors and
would probably want to learn more about the different notes. Today,

their first
thought is the cash value and what they can buy with the proceeds.

Rock band.
Sigh. ; )

It goes without saying that today's youth are stupid but people have
been saying that for millennia, at least. It's the sort of thing
young people do shrug.
--

I remember in high school I heard a quote about young people being
stupid,

I got a laugh out of that, kids are kids and don't seem to change that
much.

Old April 27th 05, 06:07 PM
jim menning

"Leo M. Cavanaugh III" wrote in
message ...

It's their property now and they can dispose of it as they see fit.

I hope they were property owners, and not renters. Otherwise I'd
imagine the ownership of the stash may end up in court.

jim menning

Old April 27th 05, 10:46 PM
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:52:53 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I noticed this amazing find made the TV news, too. I saw film and interviews on
our local news tonight but not on any of the network news shows. (All three
networks did manage to carry the same footage of the escaped bisons in MD,
though)

Yeah. Second time in a fortnight, as I understand.

The three guys who found the currency stash said they were going to
sell most of it and use the proceeds to support their rock band. What a waste!

Well, the notes will enter the market and collectors who want them
will be able to get a hold of them!

Padraic.

Bruce

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu