Scot Kamins at BookThink

Old January 20th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Scot Kamins at BookThink

The current issue of the online newsletter BookThinker features an
interview with original RCB proponent, and Modern Library collector
extraordinaire, Scot Kamins: http://www.bookthink.com/0060/60kam1.htm
The interview is all about--What else?--ML collecting. Bonus: A picture
of Scot with that smile/grimace that says, "I hate having my picture taken."

And speaking of RCB, we become 10 years old in June. Any volunteers to
bake us a virtual birthday cake?

--Jon Meyers
Old January 20th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

on Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:31:03 -0600, Jon Meyers stated:

The current issue of the online newsletter BookThinker features an
interview with original RCB proponent, and Modern Library collector
extraordinaire, Scot Kamins: http://www.bookthink.com/0060/60kam1.htm
The interview is all about--What else?--ML collecting. Bonus: A picture
of Scot with that smile/grimace that says, "I hate having my picture taken."

That was an interesting article; thanks for posting the link.

And speaking of RCB, we become 10 years old in June. Any volunteers to
bake us a virtual birthday cake?

omg. I've been on usenet for ten years??

-Allison

Old January 21st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:

The current issue of the online newsletter BookThinker features an
interview with original RCB proponent, and Modern Library collector
extraordinaire, Scot Kamins: http://www.bookthink.com/0060/60kam1.htm
The interview is all about--What else?--ML collecting. Bonus: A picture
of Scot with that smile/grimace that says, "I hate having my picture
taken."
And speaking of RCB, we become 10 years old in June. Any volunteers to
bake us a virtual birthday cake?
--Jon Meyers

Great article! Congrats! I shall add it to the Biblio Articles page of
the Florida Bibliophile Society website.

Jerry

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old January 21st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jerry Morris wrote:
Jon Meyers wrote:

The current issue of the online newsletter BookThinker features an
interview with original RCB proponent, and Modern Library collector
extraordinaire, Scot Kamins: http://www.bookthink.com/0060/60kam1.htm

Great article! Congrats! I shall add it to the Biblio Articles page of
the Florida Bibliophile Society website.

From the FBS website: "We meet at 1:30 p.m. on the third Sunday of each
month from September to May. During the summer, we hibernate."

Well, technically, you "estivate."

Anyway, interesting site. I wish we had something like FBS in my
area--or maybe we do, and I've been too lazy to find it. Off to Google...

--Jon Meyers
Old January 21st 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

....during the summer, we hibernate......
Well, technically, you "estivate."

Duly noted and corrected. Do you know what we do in the fall? We
cransivate.

Anyway, interesting site. I wish we had something like FBS in my

area--or maybe we do, and I've been too lazy to find it. Off to
Google...
--Jon Meyers

Why not start one? Some bibliophile societies belong to FABS
(Fellowship of American Bibliophilic Societies), but not all of them.
The closest FABS club is in Seatte, the Washngton Book Club. See the
FABS website, www.fabsbooks.org, for a complete list of member clubs.

Cheers,
Jerry

Jerry Morris wrote:
Jon Meyers wrote:
The current issue of the online newsletter BookThinker features an
interview with original RCB proponent, and Modern Library collector
extraordinaire, Scot Kamins: http://www.bookthink.com/0060/60kam1.htm
Great article! Congrats! I shall add it to the Biblio Articles page of
the Florida Bibliophile Society website.
**From the FBS website: "We meet at 1:30 p.m. on the third Sunday of
each month from September to May. During the summer, we hibernate."

Old January 22nd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jerry Morris wrote:
....during the summer, we hibernate......

Well, technically, you "estivate."

Do you know what we do in the fall? We
cransivate.

My OED just threw up, my Webster's Third wept, my American Heritage is
whimpering in a corner, and my slang dictionaries stormed out in
disgust. But "cransivate" seems like a perfectly cromulent word to me.

--Jon Meyers
Old January 22nd 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

on Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:04:13 -0600, Jon Meyers stated:

Jerry Morris wrote:
....during the summer, we hibernate......

Well, technically, you "estivate."

Do you know what we do in the fall? We
cransivate.

My OED just threw up, my Webster's Third wept, my American Heritage is
whimpering in a corner, and my slang dictionaries stormed out in
disgust. But "cransivate" seems like a perfectly cromulent word to me.

Onelook.com, the resource for (currently) 1001 online
dictionaries, coughed and changed the subject. However,
there is a town in southern France named Cransac for
which they include the following information: "Hills to
the north of the town contain disused coal-mines which
have been on fire for centuries."

-Allison
bringing you today's totally irrelevant trivia.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Allison Turner- wrote:
Jon Meyers stated:

Jerry Morris wrote:

....during the summer, we hibernate......

Well, technically, you "estivate."

Do you know what we do in the fall? We
cransivate.

My OED just threw up, my Webster's Third wept, my American Heritage is
whimpering in a corner, and my slang dictionaries stormed out in
disgust. But "cransivate" seems like a perfectly cromulent word to me.

Onelook.com, the resource for (currently) 1001 online
dictionaries, coughed and changed the subject. However,
there is a town in southern France named Cransac for
which they include the following information: "Hills to
the north of the town contain disused coal-mines which
have been on fire for centuries."

Also, "crans" is an alternate spelling for "crance" or "crants," an
obsolete term for a type of wreath or garland. Perhaps they spend their
autumns making Christmas decorations. (To adorn fireplaces fueled with
French coal?)

--Jon Meyers
Old January 22nd 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Jerry Morris wrote:
....during the summer, we hibernate......

Well, technically, you "estivate."

Do you know what we do in the fall? We
cransivate.

My OED just threw up,

There's an alternate spelling

aestivate /istvet, est-/ v.i. Also *est-. E17. [L aestivat- pa. ppl
stem of aestivare, f. as AESTIVE: see -ATE3.] Spend the summer, spec.
(Zool.) in a state of torpor. Cf. HIBERNATE.
aestivator n. an animal that aestivates E20.

Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary *
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

* A one pound CD, in a Charity Shop.
Sound off, so no talking.

michael adams

Old January 22nd 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Now for today's totally irrelevant trivia:

This portion of RCB is brought to you by the letters
c-r-a-n-s-i-v-a-t-e

Cransivate is a word that means anything you want it to. The word was
popular on New Paltz University campus in New York in 1968. At the
weekly beer parties, the college guys would get drunk. while the college
girls would get "cransivated" by the visiting airmen from nearby Stewart
Air Force Base. I was one of the airmen. Today, almost forty years
later, when I beg imploringly, "To cransivate or not to cransivate, that
is the question," the answer I usually hear is "Forget about it,
Morris."

Btw, Jon, mibad on your "ten-twenty" being near Seattle. For a moment I
had your location confused with that of Scot Kamins. You probably
noticed on the FABS website that there is a book club in St. Louis: the
Bixby Club. They just hosted the annual FABS book tour in St. Louis last
May.

Cheers,
Jerry Morris,
One who cransivates whenever he can, but with only one person.

Cransac? Sounds like a train wreck! On fire for centuries? Reminds me
of the popular song in the sixties: "Come on Baby Light My Cransac."

(Allison*Turner-)
Jerry Morris wrote:
[...]

FA: SCOT POLLARD Bobblehead JMP Basketball 0 December 4th 04 07:34 PM
PING: Scot Kamins Zembaba Coins 1 April 3rd 04 07:00 PM
PING: Scot Kamins John Carney Coins 6 March 21st 04 04:03 AM
BookThink Newsletter Craig Stark Books 2 September 4th 03 09:55 PM