A is for Alibi (Sue Grafton)

Old January 20th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default A is for Alibi (Sue Grafton)

Picked up a F/VG copy of "A is for Alibi" at my local used book store.
Problem is, it has gray boards. The only references I can find tell
of "red" boards. Can anyone tell me if this is a first/first, or a
later printing?

Dunno, but Sue really treats me like a king when I come rolling into town.

Old January 21st 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Thanks for the tip on Master Sniper...

Up here, the thrifts look upon books as a necessary evil. Sales are
typically 2 for $.50 or $5 for a box full. A recent box contained a first
of "The English Patient", "Shell Seekers", "September" and a few others, all
in fine/fine save for a bookplate of the former owner. The used bookstores,
mostly into softcover for volume sales and don't really have any knowledge
of modern or hypermodern firsts. So one can with time collect complete
works and theknwon writers re almost always low in price. Typically, $2.99
will get you any Le Carrie.

At times, I might find three or four of one writer, and decide that such
warrants trying to complete his books. Often, it is very easy with a little
effort. On trips south, perhaps to Kelowna, the same tends to hold true. A
first of "Silence of the Lambs" turned up for $1 in a "collector's store".

The bookshops tend to price to the known market. I have seen a sci-fi 4
volume set, available to any on ABEBooks for a max of $20, go out under the
arm of a happy fellow who bought it for $300. It looked good...

TTFN,
Willow

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Timdo99 wrote:
And you just had to spoil it for the rest of us, didn't you!

Now I'll have to pull out that nasty ratty exlib Alibi, surgically
remove the grimy mylar, and compare it with a BCE to see the difference
for myself. Thanks for the tip.

I hope you're not scratching your head right now looking at the Grafton;
I was referring to _The Master Sniper_. Sorry--I should have made that
clearer.

--Jon Meyers