Art book sets

Old August 28th 04, 08:57 PM
Gregg P.

Default Art book sets

I happened upon a set of Art books, with color plates, in near mint
condition, with dust jackets, etc, in near mint conditionm as well--no
tears, smudges, dirt, etc. My question: Is there a market for sets like
this?
All on-topic replies welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Gregg

Old August 28th 04, 10:16 PM
RWF

I had no trouble at all disposing of a set of Time-Life art books I picked
up at a garage sale.
I put them up individually on ebay for $5 @ and most sold the first go
round.
One winning bidder even bought all the books that didn't sell.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old August 29th 04, 04:47 AM
Bill Palmer

"Gregg P." wrote in message ...
I happened upon a set of Art books, with color plates, in near mint
condition, with dust jackets, etc, in near mint conditionm as well--no
tears, smudges, dirt, etc. My question: Is there a market for sets like
this?

There is a limited market for them, yes.
While some people don't particularly favor
the graphic design of Time-Life art books,
there is no question that anyone who read
through an entire set of Time-Life art
books would have something akin to an
education in art history. Some people
are aware of that and watch for sets.

In a way it is sad that certain lines of
very good books are so common that they
often produce yawns from dealers. That
would include Time-Life books, National
Geographic Books, and Sunset books. Don't
take my word, just call any used book
book dealer and tell the person you have
a wonderful set of any of the above. You
will get something less than the red carpet
treatment, I assure you. All those lines
include some excellent publications, so one
might wonder why their prices are generally
so low. Part of the problem is that most or
all books in those lines are printed in
great numbers. Also, in a way they are
akin to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINES in
that, because they are quality publications,
people hang onto them, which keeps the price
low. At almost any library sale or garage
sale, even, you are likely to find books
from one or more of three lines I mentioned.

As far as the Sunsets, the originals
are getting old enough to be charming to
some collectors. Those Sunsets with
original prices from .95 cents to $1.95
often take on a attractive "old look"
as far as their design. Some of the
older hardcover books published by
National Geographic are becoming
attractive to collectors too. As for
Time-Life books, I think they are
new enough to be still bought for the
information. I don't many people
seeking out books with an "old look"
find the Time-Life basic design very
appealing.

It is the information, not the "look,"
that is still selling Time-Life's. That
is not true with the Sunsets. I find
the old Sunset on Baja (of a few decades
back) delightful because of the
photos and graphic design, but I would
not advise anyone to use it as a travel
guide. People buy books like that for
the look, not for the information.

Mr. Palmer
Room 314 in the upstairs office.

All on-topic replies welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Gregg

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM