Blue Sharpies- Overrated?

Old June 30th 03, 06:43 AM
RMartelJr

Default Blue Sharpies- Overrated?

Hello all,

I've been told the "blue" sharpie pen is the best to use on photos
because the ink pigment will last longer than that of the "black"
sharpie. What has everyone else heard about this theory?

I ask this because the only signatures in my 15+ years of autograph
collecting that have faded (almost to nothingness!) were those inked
with blue sharpies! The black sharpie autographs all seem to have held
up well without any noticeable differences.

Whatcha all think?

Buzz
Old June 30th 03, 07:21 AM
www.AutographPros.com

I've heard the newer black sharpies, the ones where you can see the amount
of ink left, have a different content so there is no need to worry about the
signature in the future. There is a rumor going around with some
celebrities that those who use blue sharpies are doing so to create copies
of their signatures somehow so some refuse to even use blue markers. The
old black Sharpies definitely would cause a 'halo' around the signature on
some so they were not the suggested marker back then. Now it is probably
better for you if you are a collector to stick to black as again, some look
at the blue and immediately think professional dealer while others think
something shady is up. In regards to your blue signatures fading almost to
nothing, you may have them in a holder that is not acid-free. Or if you
have them framed they should be matted so they do not touch the glass.
Otherwise it was either a different brand marker used or simply a rare
instance.

--
Michael Kasmar
Registered Dealer # 237 of the UACC

Old June 30th 03, 06:57 PM
Sarah

I thought blue sharpies were preferred because they "popped" off the
photos more than black, especially photos with substantial dark areas.

Old June 30th 03, 09:19 PM
Clake13

I have had the same hold true for me, only the things signed in blue have
faded, the ones in black have all done fine for me, on cards, baseballs and
pictures

Old July 3rd 03, 07:25 AM
RMartelJr

In article jGQLa.29549$ZE.23263@lakeread05,
[...]

Actually, the pictures with both blue and black sharpies used, were all
stored in frames and yes, that was dumb on my part, but the black
signatures all appear fine. All of my photos are properly stored now so
hopefully that helps.
Anyway, I think I'll stick with the black when the shades of the photos
allow me to.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Buzz
Old July 4th 03, 09:50 AM
mangodance

RMartelJr wrote:
Hello all,

I've been told the "blue" sharpie pen is the best to use on photos
because the ink pigment will last longer than that of the "black"
sharpie. What has everyone else heard about this theory?

I ask this because the only signatures in my 15+ years of autograph
collecting that have faded (almost to nothingness!) were those inked
with blue sharpies! The black sharpie autographs all seem to have held
up well without any noticeable differences.

if you display under fluorescent light or the sun hits your display,
black sharpie will eventually fade to a weird yellowish color.
--
Bluegrass Hockey: Celebrating hockey in the Commonwealth:
http://mangodance.tripod.com/bgh/bghockey.htm