Designs for circulating US coins

Old January 25th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius[_2_]

Default Designs for circulating US coins

There's really no need to look far for better designs for US circulating
coinage, one need merely look to the past at some of the beautiful designs
already used.
Cent: the Indian cent
Nickle: The Buffalo nickel is hard to beat
Dime: Mercury
Quarter: Standing Liberty or Barber
Half: Walking Liberty
Dollar: the Peace dollar
I say get rid of all the dead presidents and/or notable figures and stick with
representations of Liberty!

Old January 25th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson[_2_]

In article ,
"Petronius" wrote:

There's really no need to look far for better designs for US circulating
coinage, one need merely look to the past at some of the beautiful designs
already used.
Cent: the Indian cent
Nickle: The Buffalo nickel is hard to beat
Dime: Mercury
Quarter: Standing Liberty or Barber
Half: Walking Liberty
Dollar: the Peace dollar
I say get rid of all the dead presidents and/or notable figures and stick
with
representations of Liberty!

I agree we've had some beautiful designs in the past. I think the
"Mercury" dime is my favorite.

But don't other countries produce wonderful modern designs? Does anyone
think a contemporary look would gain acceptance by the public?

(People tend to view many new designs as "funny money" or, in the case
of the Presidential dollars, "tokens".)

The two new obverses of the Jefferson nickel, the reverses of the 2009
cents and Native American dollars are all good contemporary designs.

I have no problem with Liberty on our coins, but we shouldn't just
recycle the same designs as in the past.

Paul
Old January 25th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Petronius" wrote:

[...]

We might if we want to keep people feeling secure and comfortable with their
country's coins. A change now to modern design interpretations might get
the public wondering if the new coins are as "good" as the familiar ones
they replaced. As an old fart, I would prefer receiving the classic designs
in change. It's likely though that the opinions of younger set will
prevail.

Old January 25th 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Petronius" wrote:

[...]

There's truth to that. When the French did their 100 old francs = 1 new
franc exchange at the launching of the Fifth Republic, they brought back the
classic "semeuse" design that had been popular before World War I. So many
of the young farts were killed in the two world wars that all that was left
were the old ones.

James of Flatulent Days Gone By