Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

Old April 26th 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Default Miniature Sheet...MNH or not MNH?...

There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

tnx

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old April 27th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/26/2012 5:27 PM, gogu wrote:
There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

I am not sure what you mean by 'post office seals' from your European
viewpoint (picture?), but 'mint' means as packaged at the printer and
delivered to the post office. 'Used' means sent through the mails. CTO
(cancelled to order) means cancelled (not mint) but also not used.
Anything else glued on is just 'defaced' and possibly/probably worthless
unless there is some special circumstance I cannot think of ;-).

tjr

Old April 27th 12, 07:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 4/26/2012 5:27 PM, gogu wrote:
There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in
it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are
placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or
not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

I am not sure what you mean by 'post office seals' from your European
viewpoint (picture?),

The seal applied by the post office when you send a letter!
"Cancelled" may be the correct term but I am new in the hobby and I don't
know much about terminology;-)

but 'mint' means as packaged at the printer and delivered to the post
office. 'Used' means sent through the mails. CTO (cancelled to order)
means cancelled (not mint) but also not used.

Probably this is the case!
If this is the case, still the use of the term "MNH" to describe it is
misguiding, is this correct?
In this case, such sets do thye command the same value as true MNH sets or
they trade for less?

tnx Terry

Old April 27th 12, 09:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Buder

Am 26.04.2012 23:27, schrieb gogu:
There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

tnx

I don't quite understand - but I think what you are up to, is "cancelled
to order, with gum". Is what you call "seal" just a cancel from a post
office?

Peter
Old April 27th 12, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

? "Peter Buder" ?????? ??? ??????
Am 26.04.2012 23:27, schrieb gogu:
There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in
it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are
placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or
not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

tnx

I don't quite understand - but I think what you are up to, is "cancelled
to order, with gum". Is what you call "seal" just a cancel from a post
office?

No, seal or stamp on stamp, cancelled, but I lack the proper terminology;-)
As Terry suggested it's a CTO set, no stamp from the post office as I
thought initially.
While these sets go for around 3 pounds on eBay (MNH), such sets go for
around 1 pound in CTO.
What should I do, buy the MNH set or the CTO?
What's better to buy?
Questions, questions...

rgrds

Old April 27th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:27:52 +0300, "gogu"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

NOT ... unless you don't count CTO as 'Mint".

NH applies only to whether it is hinged or not.

'Mint' is 'as issued' - so the 'pre-cancel' or 'Cancelled to Order' is
a variant, though most prefer to place the CTO well below 'postally
used'.

Old April 27th 12, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

? "Sir F.A. Rien" ?????? ??? ??????
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:27:52 +0300, "gogu"
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

There is a seller advertising a Mini Sheet which comprises 6 stamps in it.
In the item description he says it's MNH but there are post office seals
placed over the 6 stamps!
Sure, the post office seals look very odonate and look like they are
placed
by a machine and not by hand.
But they are still seals on the stamps...
My question is if the MNH representation for this set is misguiding or
not?
Is this set considered "used" or not?

NOT ... unless you don't count CTO as 'Mint".

I don't know how to "count" it, that's why I'm asking for your expert
opinion:-)

NH applies only to whether it is hinged or not.

I see...
So you are saying that a CTO stamp/set can be described as MNH, too.

'Mint' is 'as issued' - so the 'pre-cancel' or 'Cancelled to Order' is
a variant, though most prefer to place the CTO well below 'postally
used'.

Thanks!
So if for many, the CTO are considered inferior to used, I suppose you
suggest to let this CTO set go and go for the MNH...

Old April 27th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 4/27/2012 2:50 AM, gogu wrote:
Ï "Terry ÝãñÑøΓ₯ óôï ìÞΓ*áìÑ

I am not sure what you mean by 'post office seals' from your European
viewpoint (picture?),

The seal applied by the post office when you send a letter!
"Cancelled" may be the correct term but I am new in the hobby and I don't
know much about terminology;-)

In the US, a Post Office Seal is a gummed piece of printed paper,
perhaps 2 x 3 inches, used to seal an envelope closed. The first, in
1872, were used to seal the envelopes used to carry registered letters.
They are also used to seal envelopes left unsealed by the sender, torn
open by the P.O. machinery, or opened for inspection (customs or to find
an address is the outside addresses are illegible). A few years ago, I
received a mangled magazine in a plastic bag closed with such a seal.
They now contain the words 'Officially Sealed'. Scott gives them the
prefix letters 'OX' in its US Specialized Catalog.

If the cancellations on the advertised sheet are uniformly dark all in
the same position (typically one cancel cutting the corners of 4 stamps)
then they were probably added at the printer or included in the original
printing plate. They have no postal value and calling them mint is
fraudulent. In fact, they are not really postage stamps either as they
were never valid for postage. There are made-for-collectors copies of
postage stamps sold by the P.O.

tjr

Old April 27th 12, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 4/27/2012 2:50 AM, gogu wrote:
I "Terry Yanaoa ooi i?ioia

[...]

------------------------

Thanks Terry.
Now please tell me, are these better to collect or the MNH set?
What should I prefer?

tnx

Old April 29th 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

'Mint' is 'as issued' - so the 'pre-cancel' or 'Cancelled to Order' is
a variant, though most prefer to place the CTO well below 'postally
used'.

Thanks!
So if for many, the CTO are considered inferior to used, I suppose you
suggest to let this CTO set go and go for the MNH...

Replace it when you can find either a postall used or actual Mint set.

CTO's were made to sell to collectors - solely a profit operation for
the post office and the hanling 'agent'.