not the usual 1796 eBay bust dollar

Old September 8th 04, 05:20 AM
James Higby

Default not the usual 1796 eBay bust dollar

I emailed the seller and tried to politely point out that neither the
obverse nor the reverse of this coin appears to match any of the known dies
for a genuine 1796 dollar.

Old September 8th 04, 05:45 AM
James Higby

Guess I better include a link

Old September 8th 04, 08:42 AM
Ira Stein

Jim Higby writes:

Guess I better include a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3929443 6
42&rd=1

But wait, Jim! The sellers, Kevin & Kristie, state RIGHT on the Holder, that
coin is authentic! Isn't that proof enough that this known copy (counterfeit)
IS genuine? The holder says it is! Not only that, sellers stae that it's been
in a bezel for a LONG TIME! A long time! That's proof enough for me. Only thing
missing is that it's been in the fambly for over 150 years!

Ira Stein
Old September 8th 04, 11:39 AM
James Higby

Ira, I went back and looked a second time, and, you know what, you're
absolutely right! How could I have missed that the first time?

Just last evening I thought I had misplaced my glasses, but then found that
they had just slid down my nose. Man, old age is really starting to
frighten me. Guess I better get out of coins while the nest egg is
relatively intact.

Naaaaaaaa! I'd miss all the comedy.

Old September 8th 04, 12:29 PM
Scottishmoney

At least we know one thing. FleaBay won't pull the auction.

Dave

--
emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
Jim Higby writes:

Guess I better include a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3929443 6
42&rd=1

But wait, Jim! The sellers, Kevin & Kristie, state RIGHT on the Holder,
that
coin is authentic! Isn't that proof enough that this known copy
(counterfeit)
IS genuine? The holder says it is! Not only that, sellers stae that it's
been
in a bezel for a LONG TIME! A long time! That's proof enough for me.

Only
thing
missing is that it's been in the fambly for over 150 years!

Ira Stein

---

Old September 8th 04, 02:23 PM
James Higby

Fret not, if I have a couple or three spare hours today I'll go through SOME
OF the eBay rules and find a good pretext. Then we can all decide who gets
to narc. That'll fix 'em.

Old September 9th 04, 01:25 PM
Brian

I emailed the first buyer (before the seller went on his other account and
started bidding on his own item), asking if he knew the item was a fake, or
if he was just planning on selling it for even more to some other
unsuspecting dope.

dickroylet replied:

Brian, Thanks for the sarcasm. Of course I realize it was a fake. Even more,
*you* realize that there is no way to win a ebay auction by bidding the
minimum *on any auction with a reserve.* The only problem was that I thought
I was bidding under my 'seller_is_committing_fraud...' id. Anyway, thanks
for looking out for me, though next time try not to be such a jerk about it.

Old September 9th 04, 01:37 PM
Brian

I also got a reply from the seller. I asked why he is selling a fake coin
as real.

Reply:

WELLLL......We don't know and we feel the wear has CONFUSED the
bidders....At any rate lets see what the cosignor has to say....waiting his
reply!!! Thanks!......I've had this happen before and the coin turned out to
be just as we stated!!!!!