Coin Modernization Bill Passes Senate

Old December 5th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

Default Coin Modernization Bill Passes Senate

"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

JAM
Old December 5th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

"j-rod" wrote in message ...

"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

Since the Constitution already mandates that the Congress has authority over
coinage, I don't see the point of this legislation.

Old December 5th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Dec 5, 9:09*am, "Beanie" wrote:
"j-rod" wrote in ...

"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

Since the Constitution already mandates that the Congress has authority over
coinage, I don't see the point of this legislation.

My understanding is that "the point" is to readily cheapen, or to
quickly cheapen, the alloys of the nation's coinage at some future
time without going through the full Congressional approval process at
that time.

oly

Old December 5th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 5, 9:57*am, j-rod wrote:
"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

JAM

It's never a good idea to get Congress involved in anything. The
national debt is over $13 trillion, unemployment is at 9.8%, tax cuts
are set to expire December 31, the economy is in the toilet, the
financial outlook for the country isn't too good, but the current lame
duck Congress can worry about coin modernization.

Jerry
This thread is going to go W--A--Y OT.
Old December 5th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"j-rod" wrote in message

"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

JAM

How many jobs will it create and how will it affect our taxes? And what
surprise goodies (oink) might be hidden in the bill?

Old December 5th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim_Higgins

Bremick wrote:
"j-rod" wrote in message
"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

JAM

How many jobs will it create and how will it affect our taxes? And what
surprise goodies (oink) might be hidden in the bill?

Is it too early to prophesy an aluminum coin, say a $5 or $10 :-(

--
"Your first, last, and only line of defense-a Cohort of Roman Heavy
Infantry"
Old December 5th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Dec 5, 11:56*am, "Bremick" wrote:
"j-rod" wrote in message

"The majority of the bill deals with establishing rules and procedures
for increased Congressional oversight of coin production."

Anyone think this is a good idea?

http://news.coinupdate.com/coin-mode...s-senate-0562/

JAM

How many jobs will it create and how will it affect our taxes? *And what
surprise goodies (oink) might be hidden in the bill?

I did a check through Thomas. H.R. 6162 is the Coin Modernization,
Oversight, and Continuity Act of 2010. The only amendment added was
for the American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act Of 2010. The
amendment was previously H.R. 6166. As far as I can tell, there are
no provisions for bacon in the bill.

Jerry
When did I become a politician? I hate politicians.