Chinese Fountain Pen Quality

Old November 9th 05, 11:47 PM
Virtual Gordon

Default Chinese Fountain Pen Quality

I have purchased only one, a Hero 100, inspired by the Parker 51 aerometric.
It is well constructed, I would even call it robust, and it is
professionally fitted and finished. In over a year of service I have never
had reason to regret its purchase. For this particular model at least, I can
offer a hearty recommendation

Gordon

Old November 10th 05, 01:47 AM
JimL

Oh, if Frank were alive toay he'd be spinning in his grave, and calling
some of you certain names

First, there is no such thing these days as a felxible nib, except
maybe a vintage music or calligrapher's nib, probably in a dip pen.

Next, for those who prefer x - carat gold nibs, go ahead and spend your
money if you like pocket jewelry. There is no gold on the business end
that meets the paper. If there were, it would wear off quickly.
Iridium used to be used on many fine pens, but even that less so these
days. It's steel, maybe stainless, and sometimes brass or almost any
metal. So the material on the top of the nib, just like the designs
on the barrels and caps, are for appearance, and nothing to do with
actual performance. (Reminds me of my dating life.)

Old November 10th 05, 03:17 AM
Semolina Pilchard

On 9 Nov 2005 17:47:50 -0800, JimL wrote:

Oh, if Frank were alive toay he'd be spinning in his grave, and calling
some of you certain names

First, there is no such thing these days as a felxible nib, except
maybe a vintage music or calligrapher's nib, probably in a dip pen.

Just had a look over the thread in case I was missing something, but I
can't see where you got the idea that anyone imagined modern fountain pen
manufacturers produce flexible nibs. Perhaps you'd care to elucidate.

--
Sem
Old November 10th 05, 04:48 AM
radarman10

I've bought three different "Cheap China" pens in the last few years.
One was ok. It started well and was fairly smooth, but the "gold"
plating wore off quickly on the body of the pen. The second one was
terrible, scratchy, would not start, it even would run dry in
mid-word. But the last one is great. I don't remember which company I
got it from but it was listed as Carbon Fiber body. It isn't. But it
does look good and writes very well. It is the one I use most days.
Since I meet many folks daily and need their signatures, I don't have
to worry about them messing it up as the nib is as hard as steel.
I know, bad joke.

The best advice I can give is to say, "You pays your money, you takes
your chances."

Radarman

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:35:36 -0500, "Prometheus7"
wrote:

I'm curious about the quality of the Chinese fountain pens that are often
advertise in this group. Everyone seems to write reviews about the well
known pens like Parker, Waterman, Rotring, etc., but rarely do I see
anything written as to the comparable quality of the Asian pens. The pens
seem to be priced well, but the lack of "chatter" about them makes me
somewhat reserved in purchasing one.

Old November 10th 05, 05:13 AM
Sonam Dasara

On 9 Nov 2005 17:47:50 -0800, JimL typed:

Next, for those who prefer x - carat gold nibs, go ahead and spend your
money if you like pocket jewelry. There is no gold on the business end
that meets the paper. If there were, it would wear off quickly.
Iridium used to be used on many fine pens, but even that less so these
days. It's steel, maybe stainless, and sometimes brass or almost any
metal. So the material on the top of the nib, just like the designs
on the barrels and caps, are for appearance, and nothing to do with
actual performance. (Reminds me of my dating life.)

Rather harsh words, and I disagree with you - especially given that
the great majority of folks here are sophisticated fountain pen
users/collectors and know the difference between tip material and nib
material.

As for your claim that the nib material has "nothing to do with
performance", my experience is that a 14K gold nib has a "softer" feel
than a steel one - I can feel the difference between my steel and gold
nibbed Pelikans, and I'll bet that others here can too. What do you
guys say: can you feel the difference between a 14K nib and a steel
one??????

As for the tip material, while Iridum is rarely used, every
manufacturer now uses a proprietary alloy to tip a nib. Nevertheless,
these alloys are all rather similar, being much, much harder than
steel or brass, and more akin to platinum and other extremely hard
alloys. I've never seen a steel or brass tip - what pens have you seen
them on?
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
11/9/2005 11:47:21 PM
Old November 11th 05, 01:55 AM
Greg Clark

Default Fountain pen ink samples for Christmas?

Hi All!

If you are looking for the perfect low cost Holiday gift for someone who
appreciates the finer aspects of handwriting - give them the Fountain
Pen Ink Sampler book this season!

Nowhere else can anyone see actual hand dipped samples of 380 current
and vintage fountain pen inks. No where else can they find the measured
pH, tested water resistance and tested resistance to sun fading on these
380 inks. These inks are from Italy, France, Germany, China, Japan, the
USA and many more places around the world.

Act now as supplies of the current edition are drying up fast and there
will not be a new edition until after Christmas. I am SOLD OUT !
Chuck Swisher of Swisher Pens and Sam of Pendemonium still have copies
as of this minute.

Please order directly from them at:

sam@Pendemonium / www.pendemonium.com -
888-372-2050